Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 04:09 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,209 times

Advertisements

Could you live with useing just a Apple Ipad & simple cell phone as your two main electronic device's in your life

So useing your cell phone with a simple plan that had long distance plan to call anywhere in the states to get in touch with family as need with the basic nothing fancy phone ..

So giveing up your laptop or desktop and keeping a Apple Ipad as your basic all around electroic device to basically get on the internet to shop or surf a website's or check the e=mail or send e=mails when it need ..

Most of the time right now i been useing my ipad as my main go to device and useing it to check emails or send a email when it need or track a package i have coming to me or shopping for items that i want ..

Most of the time i sitting somewhere with my ipad and useing it with the place free wifi and surfering the web and shopping and ordering thing's that i want from the website i shop at ..

Plus give the fact i have cut my websurfing down to a few basic website and shopping website on the desktop and ipad ..the desktop is sitting there not beening used as much now as it was before and now i notice i use the ipad more for things like listening to music or playing a game than getting on the computer

That is the $64.oo.dollar question Could you live with just a ipad and a cell phone as your basic electronic devices that you own instead of a computer system ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 11:49 AM

820 posts, read 3,035,415 times
Hi Henry,
I think your question has more to do with what anyone needs from a computer, and almost nothing to do with where they live. The exception would be to ask if they CAN get internet access.

Yes, you can get internet access in many places on the islands. There are dead zones, no cell phone reception, and no free wireless. But if you live there you might be able to get cabled connection, maybe not.

So assuming you can get internet access, then the question of whether you need more than an iPad is really only answerable by you. That's because only you will know if the iPad will do enough or everything that you need from a computing device.

From what you've said, it does sound like just the iPad is fine. You can continue to test this by seeing if you ever really do need it for more.

Of course, depending on the island, if you ever need more capability, possibly going to a Kinko's or the library might allow you to rent/use their computers.

Just speaking for myself, I need a larger system because I work on my Mac all day long. I need lots of more robust software, not just internet access and email.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:12 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Same here as Calico Salsa, I need the programs in my main computer and not just internet and mail access. Also as a touch typist, I despise anything other than a full keyboard. And the two foot wide screen ain't too bad, either. I usually get "gamer" computers when buying computers since they run AutoCad flawlessly and have easy to see graphics while they are doing it.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:30 AM

I'm only useing the computer now to print out something as it need that it ..most of my surfing is on the ipad at a wifi hotspot and the ipad does everything i need it to do in the area of what my needs are

Old 06-27-2011, 11:19 AM

820 posts, read 3,035,415 times
For printing, you can always print to PDF, then send/take the PDF to some place to print for you - Kinko's or OfficeMax or maybe even the library. Not sure if they have printers.

There are iPad apps that allow you to print wirelessly, but you'd have to have a wireless printer hooked up to a wireless network, and now you're back to having more equipment. Best to make friends with a neighbor who will print a few pages for you now & then. You can trade with them for a bit of yardwork or an errand or something tasty!

Old 06-27-2011, 01:14 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Yup, it sounds as if for your computer/internet use you don't need as much equipment as most folks.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:38 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,403,283 times
My wife and I bought iPads in April. At first, we thought they might only be novelties, but we find ourselves using them more and more. With the forthcoming iOS 5, you'll no longer need a computer to synch your iPad to. Steve Jobs called this "the beginning of the post-PC era," and he may be right, at keast as far as the average user goes. At work, I use a Windows PC, MS Office, and Adobe CS5, which I couldn't replace with an iPad. At home, I use a Mac. I use certain programs as a hobbyist, and an iPad can't replace them -- yet. I'm amazed at the power of some of the iPad apps, considering that the device has been out for less than two years. In another two years, who knows? You can already connect a Bluetooth keyboard and print wirelessly. If they eventually make it so that you can connect an external monitor, storage, and other peripherals (presumably via Thunderbolt), then an iPad might be all I'd need. There's also the Flash issue -- I still occasionally run into websites that require Flash, and I have to go to my Mac for those. Either Flash needs to go away, or the iPad needs to support it.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:04 PM

Like you i have found myself useing the ipad more and more than my computer ..the basis of useing my ipad a my main device came about on a road trip where it did everything i need to do and i list them ..

1-surf the internet through wifi
2-read and check e-mails
3-shop online through wifi
4-play the games i like on it
5-listen to music i have on it
6-keep track of to do list on diff projects
7-keep track of personal areas like dvd & book library programs
8-keep track of home invertory program i have on it for personal use

it makes traveling a breeze complared to haveing to lug a laptop around with me and the thing is get the basic job done i want it to do ..so yes i'm sold on the ipad over a computer ..

the flash part is done by a aftermarket application from the APP shopper store for the ipad ..i have the 64.gb wifi model and it does everything i need to do ..i still have about 20.gb of stowage space left on the hard drive even with all the stuff i have on it right now ..

plus i was just thinking about getting a 32 inch flat screen tv with dvd player for the basis of watching tv as it need

Old 06-28-2011, 01:14 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,403,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
the flash part is done by a aftermarket application from the APP shopper store for the ipad
What app do you use for Flash?

My wife and I are going to visit my parents this fall, and we plan to take our iPads, but leave our Mac laptop computers at home.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:20 PM

I vist two website's that i need flash for ..most of the website i have have a website design for the ipad and those two websites are basically shopping website..Even Amazon has a ipad website set up to use the ipad

I started to carry it with me more and more business trips and found it really love it better than the apple imac i have at the house ..plus give the fact the ipad is light weight and does not need to be pluged in every couple of hours make it great for me ..

My company owner has started to use one and told me that the one thing him and i can get along with of useing the ipad ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii