Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 01:44 PM

6 posts, read 9,353 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info. FallenIntoGreatness,

I have not looked in depth into the process, so please excuse me if I seem uninformed. I do have a bachelors...but not in education...I do however, have all the lower division credits necessary for med school, which...are mostly all sciences...about 3.5 core science GPA. I do have a few questions:

<Is it possible to get a teaching certificate in Hawaii without a education degree?

<Where is a good source to find requirements for secondary school level science teacher? Most of my coursework is chemistry and I really like it.

<I was originally thinking of applying for the Master of Education program at UH once I gain residency. I do not remember offhand the specific name of program but it is specifically for undergraduates without a degree in education. Can you enlighten me on another pathway to circumvent the need for a graduate degree?

Thanks, Mahalo

timbo31958,

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, some do and some even have studios and apartment style room share type units available for those trying to relocate...you know longer but temporary stays for those trying to find something permanent. I will definitely call first before I book...would be nice to get a lowdown on the questions I posted regarding areas in and around town.

Thanks, Mahalo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 05:28 PM

219 posts, read 498,675 times
Some states still allow you to teach a subject if you have several credits and a BA/BS in something, but I think Hawaii has done away with that just going by the info presented here: Hawai'i's Public Schools and here Types of HTSB Licenses (http://www.htsb.org/html/details/licensing/types.html - broken link)

NCLB has made several states change their licensing requirements.

Both of those sites should have more of the info you need for teaching. Also have you considered teaching at a community college level? With your background and a masters in education you might be able to teach vocational courses. I would think a CC would pay more than HS but I don't really know.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:00 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,953,054 times
Concur that you should look for housing in Makiki, Manoa, Kaimuki, Ala Moana areas. It's hard to be very far from waves except smack-dab in the middle of the island.

One thing you might consider for $$$ while you're looking for steady work: Handyman.

If you are proficient in the trades (electrician, plumber, general fix-it), the thing many folks look for is someone who will show up when they say they will (scarce). You might try to build a relationship with managers at Hardware Hawaii in Kailua and Kaneohe - areas with lots of houses that always need work. They also have a store in Mapunapuna. I don't know first hand about the following, but you might also check with Home Depot and Lowes to see if they would take your name and number for appliance sales installations.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:26 PM

6 posts, read 9,353 times
Thanks again for the great information FallonIntoGreatness,

I just got back to so cal last night and did not have a chance to really look into the links you provided...but I will.

I was in Az. kayaking the Grand Canyon...in a rubber rubber kayak...first time kayaking...it was pretty intense in some spots...wussed out and had to ride in the big raft though a few spot...

I stumbled onto this site while spending some time there with the folks, saying goodbye and such... and recovering from the trip...it was 16 days of paddling. This site is a great resource for those looking to relocate.

Now...busy making final arrangements, just dropped off the ride for shipping this morning and it should be in Oahu on the 21st...

Hope I don't seem flaky but... had some time in the canyon to think about things and...I originally thought I was going to dental school...was going to spend the time in Hawaii studying for the DATs and try to get more time in dental offices...still a maybe...but I really enjoyed my chemistry classes...[b]a lot[b] more than the time I spent shadowing dentists.

Anyhow...I briefly checked Teachamerica(?) site. and it listed Hawaii as one of the states with greatest need for science teachers and they have a program with a small stipend while getting credentials. Do you or anyone on this forum know about the program?

Also what are the requirement for substituting? I would like to get a better feel about the field, hence the maybe for trying to get into dental school.

Thanks

HankDfrmSD,

Thanks for the tip. Yeah, doing handyman work would be great. Will definitely check out those hardware stores. I a little handyman work in between trips, in the years between 05-07...there was a lot of work then.

Been back in the states mostly full time since 09 and as you know everyone here in SD is hungry in that line of work and not much is available.

Really glad to hear that there is work available in Hawaii. I'll definitely show up and do good work. I have a couple of questions:

<Are prices of tools at Home Depot and Lowes same there as on mainland?

<Alaskan Air charge $20 per bag up to 50lbs...also same for boards (how sweet is that?) up to 3 bags. Then it goes up...Do you think I should bring as much tools as I could or is it not worth it?

<What are the commute times from Makiki, Manoa, Kaimuki, Ala Moana to downtown?...Although this question would be a moot point if i could score handyman gigs.

Thanks, Mahalo

Old 07-11-2011, 10:55 PM

81 posts, read 221,463 times
Substitute teaching is not hard to get into at all. I've been doing it for the past few years and am finishing up getting my teaching certificate in the meanwhile. You just need a BA/BS in any subject. then attend a 2 week training course. It costs $50. Pass background checks and you're good to go. It pays $147.10 a day and your work day is 7:30-3:00 although I often finish earlier. Best job I've had to date, not sure why I didn't do it sooner.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:48 AM

But is subbing a reliable source of income?

Old 07-12-2011, 01:38 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,142,443 times
Probably whether subbing is reliable or not has to do with the individual sub. Teachers can call for a specific person to sub for them instead of using the general sub pool so if one is a good sub, one should be called more often. Having a good relationship with the teachers would increase your chances of subbing.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:23 PM

That makes sense, I was just wondering because during my interview the sub option was discussed but I didn't know if that was enough to head out earlier. I think it's time to make my own thread, thanks for the food for thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii