Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2009, 12:35 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,053,862 times

Advertisements

It was just on the news that the courts have rescinded the ferry's permission to operate while they are working on some environmental assessment. This Thursday will be the last trip for awhile, so if your car is on an island which isn't it's usual home, you may want to get it back to it's home island before Thursday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 02:26 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,128,504 times
I am sorry that service is being 'suspended' since the Superferry has been a wonderful mode of transportation for my family. I am in a power wheelchair and it is horrendously expensive to rent a wheelchair van (when they are available) on Maui.

The whole airline experience is difficult for me (and painful) since I have to transfer to an aisle chair to the airline seat. Forget using the bathroom since they are too small for my husband to help me transfer to the toilet- so the Superferry was so comfortable and convenient. I was looking forward to service to the Big Island since we have family there also. Sigh.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:09 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,577,701 times
Was kind of wondering when the powers that be, aka Young Brothers, would get their way. I think they'll be back though, wonder if they were actually making any money though?

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 03-19-2009, 12:47 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,460,937 times
200 jobs were lost...how sad.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:25 PM

219 posts, read 764,601 times
Well at least all the Eco Lawyers from Marin Country will, and to the end of the case will collect $800+ an hour intel it's settled. People who are rejoicing about this sham would benefit from reading what has become of the Eco movement by one of the founders of Green Peace. greenspirit.com
None of these cases has anything to do with protecting nature.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:56 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,577,701 times
This whole Superferry controversy has nothing to do with the enviornment. If that were the case, then the whale watching boats would be more strictly regulated, Matson ships would be looked at more closely in regards to their impact on the whales, as would cruise liners coming and going to Hawaii. The Superferry upset the status quo, Young Brothers, Hawaiian Airlines, all the car rental companies, the Superferry, which makes way too much sense when travelling interisland with family and your car, rubbed those guys the wrong way, and they have been working on it's demise from the get go. Hopefully the "Good Old Boys" won't win on this one.

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 03-20-2009, 11:30 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,053,862 times
Before they started operations, the legislature made a special law so the ferry could operate without getting all the paperwork done first. The court decided it is illegal to make special laws for the benefit of one entity - which is as it should be and rescinded the special legislature. The ferry has had all this extra time, almost a year, to get the paperwork done. I don't know why they didn't finish the paperwork like they were supposed to be doing, but from what I can tell (which isn't much since they never showed up on this island so I haven't been paying strict attention) most of their difficulties were ones of attitude.

There have been quite a few attempts to put in an inter-island ferry service over the years. Sometimes the ocean eats them, sometimes they weren't profitable.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:57 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,592,258 times
Just wondering if there has been any movement on getting the thing back running?

Old 05-12-2009, 11:23 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,898,996 times
No. There's a letter posted on the Superferry's web site Hawaii Superferry and they took the Alakai back to Mobile, Alabama at the end of March. Aloha, Superferry - News - Starbulletin.com

Old 05-12-2009, 11:26 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,592,258 times
thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii