Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 04:15 PM

6 posts, read 9,333 times

Advertisements

a couple of questions for long term transplants or locals about making a go in hawaii, as i plan on moving to hawaii in the very near future, maybe next couple of weeks. A little about myself.

<i am a single korean dude with no children. korean born u.s. citizen, unfortunately I do not speak fluent korean...i speak like an 8 year old with a learning disability...).
<no debts. no material possession either, just my jeep (free and clear)...and a few boards. not much money either, have enough for about 6 months.
<i am in my late 30's with a construction related BSD from a large state university from the mainland, class of 96.
<i took part in the residential construction boom/melt down as a construction superintendent so, really have no prospects in that field...not that I am really interested in that field... of course if I could line that up in hawaii I would get back to it...would do a lot to live in the aloha state.
<Traveled extensively visiting all the continents, except oz and the antarctic, through 05-09. although i did not really have a specific plan or preference when i started, always ended up in beach towns...islands...if the country had a warm coastline. really liked the mellow vibe of mex and c. america.
<pretty active and have many interests and hobbies...all outdoor type. surfing, scuba, golf, snowboarding, mountain biking, mountain climbing, etc...i enjoy surfing most...to the local bruddahs...do worries, will not try to charge pipe or other spots and conditions above my abilities.
<used to living in all kinds of conditions; rented rooms, huts, cabanas, apts., hostels, foreign families, tents (never in the us, unless camping), etc.

the questions are:
1. where are some good areas to live/stay while looking for work? I would pretty much take any job, i am not too picky...would be nice if close to a beach with some waves...but what is most important is proximity to work.
2. what are my job prospects short term? i have bartending, barbacking, and bouncer experience from my college days. also have extensive construction related customer service and management experience and a more general construction labor experience (not a journeyman in any of the trades).
3. i would like to go for a masters in education at UH, once i get state residency. would like to teach high school chemistry, have pre-med pre-reqs completed (that is what i been doing last couple years in so cal...but change of heart), i have lots of science credits...so what are my long term prospects as a high school science teacher in hawaii?
4. kinda related to the above questions but more pertinent to question #3, how do the local professionals view tattoos, scars...not looking like a freak or anything but...not looking like a traditional clean cut asian dude of the mainland?

sorry for the long post, but i do not know anyone in hawaii and most of the posts does not seem to apply for my circumstances. i figure since i want to settle down and make a life, i might as well do so where there is warm water with mellow vibe.

thanks, mahalo

p.s. checked out hongcouver a few years back...really dug looking like everyone else...so cal is a little too hectic and cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 01:18 PM

820 posts, read 3,039,785 times
Welcome to the forum

Tattoos no problem for the type of work you've described so far. Depends on the tattoos of course. Anything violence or racist related likely to affect hiring almost anywhere. Scars - not a problem I would guess, unless you are applying somewhere that being "pretty" matters, and even then your attitude will determine more than your skin adornments.

Speaking of attitude, that will get you hired or fired, promoted or demoted, faster and better than degrees or experience. As you can imagine, lots of folks applying for service jobs. How does a hiring manager make a choice? Experience yes, so now they have to choose between those candidates. A person with a strong, confident, good attitude will get the job over someone disinterested, whiney, privileged, or uncertain. Keeping the job is the same. A manager needs someone they can count on to show up ON TIME (forget the charming excuses), every day, for the whole shift. Believe me, they've heard every excuse and reason for tardiness, days off, reasons to leave early. Work your time, get your paycheck, play on your days off.

Can't say for sure, but would think your chances of getting a science teaching job is better on Oahu than Maui. Simply because there aren't that many schools here, and science isn't probably a big field here. Try calling high schools and asking for a phone informational interview. Get the real scoop.

You seem independent and self-reliant. You should be able to score work and a living situation if you are as flexible as you sound. This could be another of your many adventures. The only way to really know is to come over and give it a try.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:23 AM

Thanks for the reply Calico Salsa.

I should have noted that I will be coming to Oahu, from what I have read in these forums, Oahu is the best place to get started if coming with no prospects. Hopefully you or some of the other posters are familiar with job/living conditions in Oahu.

I will be initially staying in the Waikiki Beach area, most likely in a hostel, until I find a place and or job. I am under the impression that this area is where my best prospects for work is and many of the roommate wanted type posting I saw on cl were in this area.

I am shipping my ride over and it has ca. plates so my questions are...

1. How is parking in this area? Short term and long term...more interested in short term now.

2. Security for my vehicle?...I hear some locals don't appreciate mainlanders on their waves...my poor ride.

3. What are some decent areas close to Waikiki or other areas with employment opportunities which would offer reasonable rents/roommate type situations?...General areas/neighborhoods would be great, so I can somewhat familiarize myself with what is offered in cl and such. I really dislike long commutes and would pay more...especially if close to waves.

I would much rather be out in the country, maybe even on one of the other islands but...I think downtown area is my best bet to get started. Please, I would appreciate any other alternative work/live suggestions for a new transplant.

Thanks, Mahalo

Old 07-07-2011, 01:15 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,238,108 times
If you're coming over without a job or housing, I'd focus in and around Honolulu/Waikiki area. Most of the hotels, resturants, bars & retail are all in pretty close proximity. The bus is cheap, easy and convenient.

I'd wait to ship you car until you have secured both housing and a job. A great many apartments don't have parking or only one space, so that will be a consideration. Even at UH, parking is pretty tough and expensive to secure, so many students find alternate means of transportation.

If you use Pasha to ship your auto, I know you can leave it in their staging area in San Diego and they can put it on whatever boat you choose. So you could store it a month or two until you get settled.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:31 AM

Thanks, Jolliefille

Yeah, I got the impression that parking would be a hassle...but I think having a ride would expand my job/living prospects. In anycase, I already arranged shipping and my ride will be there around 22nd. I will be in oahu a few days before then and Pasha will hold my ride for four days with no charge.

I did check out other short term living arrangement a little further out of what seem like the core of downtown...hope parking will be better a little further out.

Of course I will look and take whatever work I can find, but I am really not stoked about getting into the bar/service scene...getting too old for that sort of thing. I have enough funds to layout upfront for several months rent...so I hope it will give me some leeway in finding long term living arrangement even with no job...also have really good credit.

<Can anyone tell me how far out of downtown area before offstreet parking is available?

<In the event that I am fortunate enough to find work...say in downtown area...what are some areas to live close enough as to not spend too much time on commute and not too far from water?

<I kinda feel silly asking so many questions on security about my ride but after reading so many posts about how locals feel about transplants...would it be cool to let my ride sit parked with ca. plates for lengths of time offstreet? I will get local licence and tags ASAP...but until then...

I know that I will find out one way or another once I get there and everything will work itself out... but I think most people I will meet when I first arrive will be either tourist or recent transplants. I really appreciate the input from locals and longterm transplants.

Thanks, Mahalo

Old 07-07-2011, 02:50 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,238,108 times
I don't think the license plate thing is such a big deal. Our daughter drove her car for over a year with out of state plates and had no problem.

Its quick and easy to get your HI plates. It will take you a day. I suggest you drive out to the KAPOLEI DMV, as the waits are much less than Honolulu.

Its hard to explain the parking in town. You are completely in town until you're not! Lots of employers have designated employee parking and some reimburse parking expenses. I personally wouldn't sign a lease without a guaranteed parking space. Street parking is sketchy and subject to towing at random hours, so it's just not a good idea.

Look at housing in Makiki, Manoa, Kaimuki, Ala Moana areas. It will all look like Honolulu to you, but people here still call the neighborhoods their old "village" name, so you probably won't know when you leave Honolulu or Waikiki and enter Makiki or Iwilei.

As for avoiding A hole surfers? Well, its the same as avoiding A holes in general. Situational awareness and reading people. Usually works. Occasionally not.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:14 AM

501 posts, read 1,194,525 times
Just a thought....are you prepared to pay $100+ per night for a hotel? And $1000 to get your vehicle shipped over?

Old 07-07-2011, 11:41 AM

219 posts, read 498,150 times
The way the educational system is set up, they really don't want you to contact the schools directly. The first step is to go to their website and start the application process, if you will be finishing the course work later they like for you to start the process a semester before you finish. They have demand for Science, Math, and Special Education. Openings do become available in other areas I'm sure but according to the HDOE website, those 3 areas are most needed.

I had my intake interview in May and the process was explained to me this way: Step 1: complete application, submit transcripts, etc. Step 2: HDOE will conduct an intake interview, Step 3: Recruiters contact you concerning schools with openings that meet your credentials, Step 4: School interview

There is also a 5 level priority system with first choice being Resident w/ degree (SATP) AND license ready to teach.

That may be more info than you want right now but at least it's there for whoever needs it.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:01 PM

Thanks again Jolliefille

Very good info about town. Maybe will have to look further out and deal with commute. I will definitely pay more attention to availability of parking when looking for a place especially in town.

From NV,

Shipping ride $1074, already paid. No...$100 per night would be silly...there are other options. Staying at $100+ a night hotel with traditional tourists on their "one week-once in lifetime dream holiday to Hawaii" is not a good way to transition into a new culture...should maybe read my first post.

Just curious...why is Los Vegas called the seventh island? I have no intention of ever moving there...fun town though...for about a week...in a discounted $100 a night hotel...never did meet locals...well are blackjack dealers from Shanghai who has been living in LV about 8-9 years considered local there?..I once proposed marriage one while on a good streak...not sure if she said yes, her English was not so good...they changed dealers...so heart broken...never saw cards like that again...except once in Panama in Panama...proposed marriage to her as well...I am pretty sure she was local...same story, limited English... they changed dealers...bye, bye streak.

Seriously though, I think I have a clue on cost of living and what I am prepared to pay. Just not sure on lay of the land.

<What are the commute to downtown from areas of Diamond Head, Hawaii Kai, Waimanalo and Kaneohe?
<What are areas north of the above areas?
<Ewa Beach area?
<Is there a ferry from Makaha to downtown?

Thanks, Mahalo.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:42 PM

285 posts, read 1,084,606 times
Check in advance with the Hostels I thik you can find some on the internet. I have seen some that say before you can stay with them you have to show them a round trip ticket, dont know but have seen that before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii