Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 07:39 AM

406 posts, read 865,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokeanne View Post
i don't have island fever, but it's because i believe anywhere that you live you need to find a hobby that fits well. for hawaii, right now it's hiking and photography. i want to try scuba driving and sky diving, but it's rather expensive.
I'd like to try scuba diving too, but I can't see any reason to jump out of a perfectly good airplane although I would like to learn to fly one .

Mickey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 09:16 AM

12 posts, read 50,496 times
depends on where you are. in our years on the east coast, we've made memorable roadtrips to cape cod, new york city, dc, and even orlando. each of these places are as different as hawaii, arguably. there is something deep seated in the mainland culture to take to the open road (or traffic!)
and explore different parts of the country. high cost of gas definitely
affects this (imagine going on the road in europe or even southeast asia if gas wasn't 3 to 4x more than here!) i have driven from singapore to the thai border in a brand
new sl series, all highway, now that was a roadtrip!

Old 07-24-2011, 10:19 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,442,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyE View Post
I'd like to try scuba diving too, but I can't see any reason to jump out of a perfectly good airplane although I would like to learn to fly one .

Mickey
There is no perfect airplane because you never know where who has worked on the plane and how is day was going from beening still hung over from the night before

or beening p=== pff at the boss for something and he might have missed something that might be need on the plane engine or plane

Old 07-24-2011, 10:57 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,259,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokeanne View Post
have you ever looked into bereavement fares? i understand that most airlines offer it. i'm not sure what relation to the passenger needs to be, but i know they require some kind of proof for the deceased.

my husband used it late last year on delta, when his grandfather passed away. the flight would have been 1200-1500, but instead it was around 800. not super cheap, but that would be the price if you booked it weeks in advance.
Ironically, one of the few airlines that doesn't offer a "bereavement fare" is Hawaiian Airlines. They should consider changing their name to "Haole Airlines" because they don't have much aloha for their customers...
Hawaiian Airlines: Sympathy / Bereavement Fares

Old 07-24-2011, 12:26 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
I don't know what I would do or feel about island fever if I lived in Hawaii. All my family lives on the east coast and I know I could never call them as much as I want, visit and see them, have family diners, family reunions, BBQs, christmases, thanksgiving, 4th of july, and all the other times we get together. To sacrifice all that for the island life must be a tough decision and I feel for those who do. I don't think even the beauty of Hawaii is enough to make up for all the wonderful times you share with your own family. I probably would be one of the people who move back to the mainland. I understand the OP's frustration at people who move to Hawaii and then complain about island fever, but you must understand that when you come from a close-knit family and are so used to seeing them on the holidays and having a good time, you miss that after being separated from them for so long. No amount of beauty or paradise can compare with the love and fun times you will share with family. It must do someone emotional damage to see Hawaiian families interacting and enjoying each others company while they themselves have not been able to hang out or talk to their own family. I think we should just have patience and compassion for these people. It's not easy on them. Some people are more psychologically and emotionally prepared than others to deal with island life. Others are not and have to learn. Take pride in the fact that you can. But don't be angry at others that aren't.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:29 PM

79 posts, read 231,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I don't know what I would do or feel about island fever if I lived in Hawaii. All my family lives on the east coast and I know I could never call them as much as I want, visit and see them, have family diners, family reunions, BBQs, christmases, thanksgiving, 4th of july, and all the other times we get together. To sacrifice all that for the island life must be a tough decision and I feel for those who do. I don't think even the beauty of Hawaii is enough to make up for all the wonderful times you share with your own family. I probably would be one of the people who move back to the mainland. I understand the OP's frustration at people who move to Hawaii and then complain about island fever, but you must understand that when you come from a close-knit family and are so used to seeing them on the holidays and having a good time, you miss that after being separated from them for so long. No amount of beauty or paradise can compare with the love and fun times you will share with family. It must do someone emotional damage to see Hawaiian families interacting and enjoying each others company while they themselves have not been able to hang out or talk to their own family. I think we should just have patience and compassion for these people. It's not easy on them. Some people are more psychologically and emotionally prepared than others to deal with island life. Others are not and have to learn. Take pride in the fact that you can. But don't be angry at others that aren't.
Well said, well said..........

I fully agree with you, but many times...... More times than not..... There are people on here who complain when they move to hawai'i and then want to move back but can't and complain, and those people **** me off.......
To even have the ability to move to hawai'i (while many people pass away without ever even seeing hawaii or any great places) and then hate it just makes no sense to me!
I myself used to be close with family but not anymore...... My parents hit the roof when they found out me and my wife were leaving and told me I can't stay with them for free and wanted to charge me $500.00 a month to stay there for 5 months and my dog (a little yorkiepoo that is potty trained) could not stay there. And if it didn't work out, I could not move back to their house (I wish I was making this up of parents saying this to their own child but I am not). So I live with a friend of my wife's, I pay nothing, have my own room, hdtv, cable and they are not charging me a dime.
Since my grandmother passed my family has fallen apart and the recession just made matters worse..... Me and my wife got married in aruba in 08' but no one came nor even so much as said congrats when we got back.... Come to find out my parents could not afford it and lied about the truth to me (I just found out the truth).
I have fallen out with family over minor things but I have a ton of great friends that have been very helpful through all of this. I will miss them, but friends alone is not enough for me to stay in michigan. Just this past month our unemployment hit 10.5%! I and my wife were blessed for my wife to land a teaching job in hawai'i because she was getting no luck finding one in michigan. I have a good job here as a chemist, but it is 50-60 hours a week and it is wearing on me (swing shifts ).
I have applied in hawai'i and got several interviews in 2 weeks. And as time goes on, me and my family feud more and more, and I grow more distant. So the move will be an easy one for me. As for friends that is what skype and xbox kinect are for.
But good advice, if you have strong emotional attachment to family, don't bother. But if you are like me or similar, then give it a go and try something new......

Old 07-25-2011, 12:10 AM

113 posts, read 252,300 times
Phanos9999 Seriously? You wouldn't even pay $500 a month to help your parents out while you a married/working person are living in their house? And you brag about staying with friends for free? Okay, your parents could not afford to attend your wedding in Aruba. I bet that cost some money they could not afford. I hear you are angry that they did not tell you of their financial problems sooner. I would guess they are proud people who did not want to burden you with the truth or they were simply embarrassed about their financial circumstances. I think you need to do some soul searching. Families are important and worth forgiving.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:32 AM

140 posts, read 407,482 times
you have to understand that not everyone in hawaii is here by choice. a lot of ppl come here for work and/or following a spouse. they come here and discover it's like living in another world. i think a lot of things here are different from the mainland, so they don't like it. they have a hard time adjusting and it makes them homesick. not everyone reacts the same way and handles change well.

it's a different flavor living out here. some ppl like it, some ppl don't. simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Ironically, one of the few airlines that doesn't offer a "bereavement fare" is Hawaiian Airlines. They should consider changing their name to "Haole Airlines" because they don't have much aloha for their customers...
Hawaiian Airlines: Sympathy / Bereavement Fares
how ironic and sad. but there are a lot of larger airlines and we have the choice of using. too bad for hawaiian.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:32 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
Folks who are used to being able to travel relatively easily (by car or by relatively inexpensive air or train) to see family once or twice per year, they maybe don't realize how much they're going to miss that. They think "Oh, I only see my family once or twice a year anyway." Then grandma dies, and you can't be there, and you start to feel very remote and far away from everyone.

I've been here just over three years, not so long really. I don't have the "island fever," but I do have family with the means to visit me regularly and I have the means to get to them on short notice if necessary. I can imagine that I would feel differently if that wasn't the case.
Your points are very good. We visited HI every year for 2-3 weeks and when we started looking at retirement places we decided to rent on HI for a couple of months. Call it "island fever" or whatever, after three months we missed family and friends, missed being able to take off in our RV to another state (there is a LOT to see on the mainland), actually missed the four seasons too. So we ended up in upstate NY. Are able to go to HI for two months a year, head south or southwest for two months in the winter. In the spring we are home, and most of the summer, except for 2 week trips here or there (Michigan is one of them this year). So maybe those of us who are "nomadic" are the ones that HI is a little too perfect for us 24/7.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:39 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanos9999 View Post
So to all those people who have lived on the mainland and thinking of moving back to the rush rush go go of the mainland ask yourself this question....
How many roundtrips did you take in a year out of state (I am asking the middleclass like me) that was fun and worthwhile and not for a funeral or business.....
Just had to comment on this. I moved back from Hawaii 2 years ago. Within the past year, I have traveled out of state for fun at least 5 times, one of which was international (that was the only flight, all the other trips were driving). Additionally, I've traveled for business out of state at least 3 times. My sister lives in my same state (NY) but about 2.5 hours away - I've gone there an additional 3 times and also up to our camp in the mountains (1.5 hours away) at least half a dozen times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: