Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 07:05 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,926,328 times

Advertisements

Everyone I've ever spoken to looks at island fever as when you don't have the means to leave the island. As others have said - when you are stuck - can't leave even if you want to. I avoid it by proactively leaving.

You apparently look at it differently - so I agreed to disagree.

Taken from urban dictionary - they say it pretty well:

Island Fever A psychological illness that usually affects poor people found in Hawaii and other islands.

Island Fever is the realization that you are stuck on which ever island you are living and not going anywhere.

Sure, you can take a plane to Asia, United States and Europe if you have the money to pay for it. Most beach bums do not have it so they are stuck on Oahu.

Sure you can take a plane to Maui, Lanai, etc... But getting the money (around $100 RT) is also a problem too. Besides, don't forget SSDI... Same Sh*t, Different Island.
People who live on mainlands have trouble understanding Island Fever because they can hop on a cheap bus or train and travel to many different countries. While people in Oahu are stuck on a rock the size of Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 02:27 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,457,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Everyone I've ever spoken to looks at island fever as when you don't have the means to leave the island.
While it doesn't surprise me that you think it's about the money, other resources say the term is in the same sense family as "cabin fever" and "stir crazy," which have nothing to do with money, and everything to do with psychological pressure. They're all about the feeling of confinement... in a cabin, in a prison cell, on an island... and wanting to "break out."

Quote:
Taken from urban dictionary - they say it pretty well:
Oh, yeah, Urban Dictionary, where hipster sarcasm reigns, and all it takes to publish a "definition" is to get a couple of the bros to give it a thumbs up, Mon. Quite the lexicographic authority, author td1123 is.

But ok, sure, let's take a look at this further explanation, from your post:
"People who live on mainlands have trouble understanding Island Fever because they can hop on a cheap bus or train and travel to many different countries. While people in Oahu are stuck on a rock the size of Chicago."
which I think neatly maps on to your statement, in your own words:

Quote:
"if I don't get off the island to either the mainland - or overseas - every 3 months or so I do go stir crazy- mainly because Oahu is a 20 by 40 mile island "[/indent]
Merriam Webster Dictionary defines "stir crazy" as:

: distraught because of prolonged confinement (i.e., being "in stir" is old slang for being in prison)

I have friends, originally from the mainland, who get stir crazy after some stretch of being on the islands. They've got the money to leave anytime they want, but there are other factors involved... family commitments, business commitments, school schedules, whatever... and they get itchy, or emotional, or frustrated, and they all refer to the condition as... tuh dah... Island Fever!

Believe whatever you will, but it is in that broad sense that I personally believe the term truly lives and breathes.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:54 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,054,506 times
Urban dictionary as authoritative reference? BWAHAHAHA!!! That's a good one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
While it doesn't surprise me that you think it's about the money, other resources say the term is in the same sense family as "cabin fever" and "stir crazy," which have nothing to do with money, and everything to do with psychological pressure. They're all about the feeling of confinement... in a cabin, in a prison cell, on an island... and wanting to "break out."
That's how I've also understood the term. And, I've lived on a few islands, so I have heard the term more than a few times from people who had the money to leave...and did.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:11 PM

48,540 posts, read 34,904,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
[[[[......Paris, Hong Kong, London, NYC, DC, Chicago (where I grew up) - and my poker fix in Vegas........]]]]]]]

It doesn't matter where you are living, you are going to have to fly to see most of those places. If you can afford a trip to Paris while you are living in Fargo, then you can afford a trip to Paris while you are living in Hawaii. If you can't afford a trip to Paris, it matters very little where you live at the time; you still can't go.

I also think it doesn't matter where you are living, it is going to be more fun if you have enough money. In fact, I'll even make the generalization that the more money you have, the more fun it will be to live there, wherever "there" is.

I'm not discounting "island fever", but I also can see where it doesn't matter where you live, it is going to take money to travel. The only reason you would be "stuck" on Hawaii, would be if you could not afford a plane ticket.

You can feel just as stuck in San Diego, or Pittsburgh, or Tampa, if you don't have the disposable income to pack up and go. Or if you don't like your job and can't afford to quit, or you can't stand your neighbor and can't afford to move. This is not a problem unique to Hawaii.

Personally, I like exploring my surroundings, and there is an awful lot of exploring available in Hawaii. I intend to find plenty for myself to do.

Sorry, I'm going to have to strongly disagree. On the mainland you drive to a lot of places. And while we could afford the cruise around the Bahama's, the plane fare made it a non-issue (thank goodness for miles).

If you live in New York, that trip to Europe is going to be much more reasonable, then from Hawaii.

There are tons of affordable vacations out there, but in Hawaii you have to add on the airfare.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:40 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,915,541 times
There's a really simple test, actually. Spend a year anywhere north of Fairbanks. If you can survive a winter without daylight where it's too cold to go outside for more than a few minutes at a time, without losing your mind, you'll laugh at "island" or "rock" fever the rest of your life. Rock fever ain't got nothin on cabin fever.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:18 PM

5 posts, read 13,209 times
one can whatever fever wherever they reside or visit. and while money is an issue in leaving the current situation, most people just live out their lives near where they grew up without having the fevers. most people have desires to either visit places of interest to them or to relocate altogether but the reality of many is that is not likely to occur.

there is a difference between being connected via roadways and the need for air travel to reach locations.

bottom line, take the good with the not so good, with the bad.
L.a. has mountains and beaches all within a days' activity clock but some resent the traffic, crowds, douchebaskets, and stupid laws.
NY has its appeal for some folks. No matter where you are or where you go, it is either for or it ain't, but there is a line of people trying to where you are leaving from or tryin to get to.

there isn't a goldilocks city for everyone, just for you. and that can change over one's life as well.

to each their own

- Aaron

Old 09-18-2012, 07:30 PM

312 posts, read 1,374,904 times
I wanted to share my point of view since I have experience living in both places.

Living in Texas and in Hawai'i I was basically on the poverty line in both places. But, I save and spend money well, and I love to travel; it can be to a far away place or just down the road, every day off I'm doing something. In Texas I routinely drive up to 4 hours one way to go see something I have on my to do list. Hawai'i was the same way, with, usually, less drive time of course. I lived on the Big Island, so the most I would drive to get somewhere on any given outing would be 2 hours or so. Every Sunday, on top of whatever else I wanted to do, I volunteered on Mauna Kea so that was 1 hour and 45 minutes one way right there. I didn't have a lot of money, but I spent it on what I loved and cared about; traveling.

In Texas, things are more spread out. I want to go to a certain swimming hole? I'll drive 3 hours from Austin. I want to see the mountains? I drive 8 hours. I want to see the swamps or gators? I'll be driving 3.5 hours. On the Big Island, the things to visit and do were much more condensed. There seemed, in my opinion and experience, to be lots more to do close by than in Texas, as far as proximity is concerned. Sure, Austins a great place and there's tons of stuff to do, but I did feel more enthused and kept busy as far as the things I like doing are concerned, which is outdoors, hiking, camping, water-related activities, etc.

I did notice that on The Big Island there were many people who simply don't do anything. They go to the same beach when and if they go at all, and complain about island fever. People had lived there for 19 years and didn't know a beach I would mention just down the road. If they complain about island fever-I feel they haven't tried to utilize the land around them well enough. And it goes for all Islands too, although I've only lived on BI, I've spent a lot of time professionally and personally on the other 3 major islands and I've found there's just as much to do, brimming everywhere with things to see and experience. I feel like I could live there the rest of my life and never be bored!

After that, my personal lament, I would like to say that it really just depends on where you are from and what you are into. I had a friend who moved to HI who loved live music, parties, etc, and was completely miserable because she no longer had those things like she had in the mainland city she came from. Will she feel island fever? Probably. I'm not naive enough to think that just because I don't get it doesn't mean other people may not feel it. I'm the only person I know that has EVER just decided one day when they woke up to drive to MT. That's not normal, most people don't leave an hour outside of their home-bubble. I Never felt any more restricted in HI than I do on the mainland. If anything, the vast cultural difference and interesting things to learn that are so foreign to me make me feel more free and like there's more to take in!

I think it boils down to THE PERSON being suseptable to island fever and not THE ISLAND giving it to them.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:20 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,813,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactastica View Post
People had lived there for 19 years and didn't know a beach I would mention just down the road. If they complain about island fever-I feel they haven't tried to utilize the land around them well enough.
Wow, anyone who can contend with themselves having "island fever" for 19 years has a lot of stamina.

Quote:
I feel like I could live there the rest of my life and never be bored!
Yes, because you actively seek interesting things to so. Boredom comes from within. So does island fever.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:42 PM

32,664 posts, read 48,104,757 times
[[[[.......19 years and didn't know a beach I would mention just down the road.....]]]]]

If you (generic you) made it a project and set the goal to swim at every beach, see every waterfall and every botanical garden, and sample every plate lunch restaurant, you would be busy for years.

I, too, have met a lot of people who never travel more than 30 miles from home. I've also met an awful lot of people who will be in a foreign country and never go and look at anything and whose idea of a real treat is lunch at Planet Hollywood.

But I do understand how people develop cravings for things they can't have. just tell them they can't drive 400 miles, and it doesn't matter whether they have ever in their lives driven that far, they are suddenly going to have a craving to drive 400 miles. It's that old reverse psychology that parents use on their kids and spouses.

Myself, in Britain where sodas come in tiny expensive cans and you can't get ice in drinks, I was desperate for a Big Gulp from 7-11, with all the ice to rattle around. Haven't had one since I got back to The States. Don't want one if I can have one. I only want one of I can't have one.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:34 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,218,454 times
Quote:
I wanted to share my point of view since I have experience living in both places.

Living in Texas and in Hawai'i I was basically on the poverty line in both places. But, I save and spend money well, and I love to travel; it can be to a far away place or just down the road, every day off I'm doing something. In Texas I routinely drive up to 4 hours one way to go see something I have on my to do list. Hawai'i was the same way, with, usually, less drive time of course. I lived on the Big Island, so the most I would drive to get somewhere on any given outing would be 2 hours or so. Every Sunday, on top of whatever else I wanted to do, I volunteered on Mauna Kea so that was 1 hour and 45 minutes one way right there. I didn't have a lot of money, but I spent it on what I loved and cared about; traveling.

In Texas, things are more spread out. I want to go to a certain swimming hole? I'll drive 3 hours from Austin. I want to see the mountains? I drive 8 hours. I want to see the swamps or gators? I'll be driving 3.5 hours. On the Big Island, the things to visit and do were much more condensed. There seemed, in my opinion and experience, to be lots more to do close by than in Texas, as far as proximity is concerned. Sure, Austins a great place and there's tons of stuff to do, but I did feel more enthused and kept busy as far as the things I like doing are concerned, which is outdoors, hiking, camping, water-related activities, etc.

I did notice that on The Big Island there were many people who simply don't do anything. They go to the same beach when and if they go at all, and complain about island fever. People had lived there for 19 years and didn't know a beach I would mention just down the road. If they complain about island fever-I feel they haven't tried to utilize the land around them well enough. And it goes for all Islands too, although I've only lived on BI, I've spent a lot of time professionally and personally on the other 3 major islands and I've found there's just as much to do, brimming everywhere with things to see and experience. I feel like I could live there the rest of my life and never be bored!

After that, my personal lament, I would like to say that it really just depends on where you are from and what you are into. I had a friend who moved to HI who loved live music, parties, etc, and was completely miserable because she no longer had those things like she had in the mainland city she came from. Will she feel island fever? Probably. I'm not naive enough to think that just because I don't get it doesn't mean other people may not feel it. I'm the only person I know that has EVER just decided one day when they woke up to drive to MT. That's not normal, most people don't leave an hour outside of their home-bubble. I Never felt any more restricted in HI than I do on the mainland. If anything, the vast cultural difference and interesting things to learn that are so foreign to me make me feel more free and like there's more to take in!

I think it boils down to THE PERSON being suseptable to island fever and not THE ISLAND giving it to them.
Well-posted! I'm the exact same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: