Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 12:40 AM

2 posts, read 12,392 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I have a job interview next week at the hospital in Maui, and want to dress nicely without being overdressed. The job would be working with patients so likely to be in scrubs or business casual, which at my mainland job meant mostly black slacks and long sleeved button down shirts or sweaters, or a nice fitted tee shirt in the summer.

What's the etiquette here for a woman dressing for an interview? Are dressy backless sandals ok, or should I stick with my black heels? bare legs or pantyhose? or just stick with slacks and find a nice short sleeved shirt? I want to make a good impression and not look to casual.

Right now I have black slacks, light gray slacks, or a light gray pencil skirt to start with.

Mahalo for your help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 12:59 AM

219 posts, read 497,243 times
I had an interview in May and wore comfortable shoes, black slacks, and a nice Aloha style blouse. I noticed the women in the office wore similar and those in skirts didn't have panty hose on.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:39 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
If it were my job interview, I'd dress to fit in. Whatever the other folks doing the job I'd be hired for, that's what I want to look like. Around here, it isn't whether you are competent or not, it's if you are going to fit in or not which is usually the key to a long happy employment.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:41 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
wear the slacks or skirt with an aloha style shirt. or just look "summery" more than casual but less then dressy

Old 07-29-2011, 12:14 PM

820 posts, read 3,035,217 times
Ditto to the advice you've already received. A different set of tips -
- If there are family photos, ask about them
- Compliment something about the person, or something they have personal in the office
- Consider bringing in a little gift. Something edible maybe, like a cookie, or else a little desk plant in a small container. You've got to be able to pull off not having it appear like a bribe, just be friendly and thank them for the interview.
- Do NOT complain about anything, don't comment if the interviewer is late, don't comment on anything negative

The point is to make a personal contact, because it's true that more hiring happens here based on the connection, rather than JUST the skills.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:38 PM

12 posts, read 50,496 times
i work in a hospital. the dress codes are very different here than on the mainland. whereas i should probably go to work in a suit everyday on the mainland. here, an aloha shirt and slacks are pretty much de rigeur for men. having said that though, you could always err on the side of dressing mainland, since people will make allowances for that (might even make a good impression). i don't think you could go wrong with standard conservative mainland business interview wear. i'd imagine it wouldn't be easy to dress business aloha as a woman for interview, but then again i'm not a woman. remember though this has nothing to do with your daily work attire, so don't interview in scrubs!

Old 07-29-2011, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 12,392 times
Thanks for the ideas! I think I'll go shopping and try to find some kind of summery lightly floral top to go with the lighter slacks. My current tees are probably all a bit too casual!

Old 07-29-2011, 09:46 PM

33 posts, read 98,176 times
Here is a very interesting article on this subject. Granted, a lot of times a person will know by the field they are already in how to dress for the interview, but I have been working with a couple of recruiters in Honolulu, and I was a little surprised at how popular conservative dress is - maybe at least at the interview stage.
Island-Style Dress for Success - Hawaii Business - July 2009 - Hawaii

Old 07-29-2011, 11:14 PM

820 posts, read 3,035,217 times
I think a floral top would be nice, not a tee.

One thought - don't try to dress "Hawaiian". That includes no leis, no fake flower earrings, no super gaudy aloha shirt from Ross.

The reason is that too many visitors try to dress as they imagine "the natives" do here, and they end up looking like a Disney version of a Hawaiian visitor - not a resident. It's fine and cute and enjoyable to see on the couples who are having that wonderful Hawaii vacation experience, but it could raise eyebrows if you look like you are trying to fit in but miss the mark.

Just clean and neat and err on the modest side instead of the other way.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:21 AM

4 posts, read 9,414 times
The first impression is very important for interviewers because is the last impression. It is based on how you look and what are you wearing.That's why it is always important to dress professionally for a job interview, even if the work environment is casual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii