Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 02:18 PM

2 posts, read 6,782 times

Advertisements

No I had not tried them, that is a terrific idea. I am so glad to hear you got your HI lic so quickly after graduation. What state did you do your original work in? In CA we get issued a preliminary lic and then have to complete a 2 year mentor program. Did you have to do anything like that with Hi since your lic was new? Thanks again for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 06:27 PM

24 posts, read 84,264 times
I had a California credential before moving here. They accept your credential from California, but you need to take the praxis in the general and your content area in order to apply for your Hawaii teaching license. You will be placed as a temporary teacher you first year until your license and test scores are received, then you will move into probationary status, no mentorship. Licensing here seems to change every year and the process is confusing for almost every teacher in the state, so be sure to check with the state licensing board for details.

Also I wouldn't plan on moving until you have a job offer. Just my 2¢

Old 01-22-2012, 06:38 PM

219 posts, read 498,325 times
I'm coming from MS and there is no mandatory mentorship here unless you count student teaching. I had to verify my student teaching before my Hawaii license was issued.

My recruiter told me my hiring prospects would be much better if I had my HI license before I got a job offer. She didn't mention temporary teaching status but she said you are a probationary teacher until you get tenure at 2 years 1 day.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,285 times
Hello, I am a New York State teacher and special education for the past few years. I am also interested in moving to Hawaii and getting a teaching job there. The Hawaii DOE has reached out to me in the past and was interested in recruiting me. I am nervous as there is a lot involved in moving and obtaining a teaching job in Hawaii. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have my Masters in elementary and special education for grades one through ninth grade. Also, I was concerned about the salary and would like to know if there are any particular school districts that offer higher pay than others?
Thank you! – Nicole

Old 01-24-2012, 07:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,285 times
Hi Miss Hathaway,
I am a current Spec Ed teacher from NY with an interest to teach in Hawaii. I would like to know how it has been for you so far teaching there? I know their teaching schedule starts in July. If possible, I would love to get an email contact from you to go further into detail about how you were successfully able to move to Hawaii from the mainland. I look forward to your response!

Thanks,
-Nicole

Old 01-24-2012, 10:14 PM

102 posts, read 171,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohena View Post
I had a California credential before moving here. They accept your credential from California, but you need to take the praxis in the general and your content area in order to apply for your Hawaii teaching license. You will be placed as a temporary teacher you first year until your license and test scores are received, then you will move into probationary status, no mentorship. Licensing here seems to change every year and the process is confusing for almost every teacher in the state, so be sure to check with the state licensing board for details.

Also I wouldn't plan on moving until you have a job offer. Just my 2¢
Lohena, how long ago did you move? I came last summer and had registered for the Praxis when the requirements changed. I didn't have to take the test. Sent in my credentials and transcripts and paid my fees.

I second your opinion on not moving without a job though!

Old 09-21-2012, 10:34 PM

4 posts, read 6,242 times
Default Great response

Thanks for your detailed account ms. Hathaway! I am also a new teacher from CA with a prelim credential..

Old 09-22-2012, 02:48 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,521,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungrykoalas View Post
Thanks for your detailed account ms. Hathaway! I am also a new teacher from CA with a prelim credential..
Checking the date of her last post here, Ms. Hathaway has not been around for more than a year. Sorry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: