Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 05:36 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,874,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
They did a neighboring island release. Thats a program with HI DoA that uses authorized vets to do direct releases on neighboring islands. There are a lot more rules and added cost but you can go direct flight from the mainland to lets say the Big Island without having to stop in Oahu. Its all on and explained in the states website.
Pacificflights
What about the temperature?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 05:45 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,695,777 times
Hawaii isn;t as strict because of the quarantine which mandates that the animals be removed and immedietly taken to DoA. Unlike most airports where they can sit outside or in the plane for layovers, they are wisked right away when the plane stops. You wuill have to deal with temp restrictions or embargos at the departing and lyover location on the mainland.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:15 AM

101 posts, read 249,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Pacificflights
What about the temperature?
They left Seattle at 6:00 AM and arrived here in Kona at 11:15 AM, so temperature wasn't a big issue. It was hot when they arrived, but as I said, they were taken to an air-conditioned room to wait for the vet to clear them.

I've read horror stories, but in my opinion and experience most airline employees are very careful with animals. Even if they aren't pet lovers, it is not worth their jobs to be responsible for the demise of someone's beloved pet. Everyone we dealt with seemed very interested in our dogs and their welfare.

None of the airlines I contacted had any kind of restriction based on temperature. They did however have breed restrictions such as no flat faced dogs during the hot months, etc. Golden's don't have breathing problems so they didn't have any restrictions.

As with anything regarding your pets, do your own research and educate yourself. I'm happy to share my experience and am grateful for all of the stories shared here and other sites, but in the end I did my own research because they are my dogs and I have the ultimate responsibility for their well-being.

Aloha.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:50 AM

WindRide
Thanks again for sharing your story. I agree that any pet guardian should do their own research but I believe it helps to hear other peoples successful experiences.

My pets usually travel Oct-May but once we were leaving Honolulu in June and had experienced a few above 85 degree days and AA has temperature restrictions
Traveling With Pets | American Airlines Pet Policy On AA.com so I was concerned so I printed out predictions for temps at the airport which is usually a few degrees cooler than downtown temps. Sure enough the agent questioned me about the temp and I showed her the forecast and that was good enough for her. Honolulu has such a good ontime departure history that I don't worry about being on the tarmack for extended periods.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:13 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,414,228 times
Thumbs up Oh, absolutely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
They left Seattle at 6:00 AM and arrived here in Kona at 11:15 AM, so temperature wasn't a big issue. It was hot when they arrived, but as I said, they were taken to an air-conditioned room to wait for the vet to clear them.

I've read horror stories, but in my opinion and experience most airline employees are very careful with animals. Even if they aren't pet lovers, it is not worth their jobs to be responsible for the demise of someone's beloved pet. Everyone we dealt with seemed very interested in our dogs and their welfare.

None of the airlines I contacted had any kind of restriction based on temperature. They did however have breed restrictions such as no flat faced dogs during the hot months, etc. Golden's don't have breathing problems so they didn't have any restrictions.

As with anything regarding your pets, do your own research and educate yourself. I'm happy to share my experience and am grateful for all of the stories shared here and other sites, but in the end I did my own research because they are my dogs and I have the ultimate responsibility for their well-being.

Aloha.
On our flight from Seattle to Honolulu we had a 4 hour delay due to some sort of computer glitch... we had 3 'updates' given to us by our Flight Attendants prior to takeoff and were told that 'we just checked on Kramer again and he is doing just fine'...they even referred to our little guy by his name...but, that's Hawaiian Airlines for ya.
Koale

Old 08-31-2011, 10:51 AM

101 posts, read 249,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
WindRide
Thanks again for sharing your story. I agree that any pet guardian should do their own research but I believe it helps to hear other peoples successful experiences.

My pets usually travel Oct-May but once we were leaving Honolulu in June and had experienced a few above 85 degree days and AA has temperature restrictions
Traveling With Pets | American Airlines Pet Policy On AA.com so I was concerned so I printed out predictions for temps at the airport which is usually a few degrees cooler than downtown temps. Sure enough the agent questioned me about the temp and I showed her the forecast and that was good enough for her. Honolulu has such a good ontime departure history that I don't worry about being on the tarmack for extended periods.
Sorry Honubob. I didn't check with American because they don't handle the Series 700 kennel and that is what my big boy needs. We flew United and they didn't have any temperature restrictions for our breed.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
On our flight from Seattle to Honolulu we had a 4 hour delay due to some sort of computer glitch... we had 3 'updates' given to us by our Flight Attendants prior to takeoff and were told that 'we just checked on Kramer again and he is doing just fine'...they even referred to our little guy by his name...but, that's Hawaiian Airlines for ya.
Koale
Here's from Hawaiian's website.
Hawaiian Airlines : Contract of Carriage
It reads they won't transport dogs between April 15 and Oct. 15 and they also won't transport over 85 degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: