Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 03:14 AM

376 posts, read 493,854 times

Advertisements

I bought a piece of land, need something to put on it. I had noticed that there are, here and there, auctions on ebay of people who want to get rid of a house but not their land-and almost no one wants to deal with moving this house so the price is cheap as hell. How much do you think it would cost to ship a small home (one example I saw was a 20' X 24' home) from the west coast to puna? (Obviously we would be doing a ship and then a truck) Any thoughts? Ideas? Mahalo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 03:05 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,624,579 times
It could be done. One of the places I looked at when I moved here was a 12' x 60' mobile home. However it's one of only two that I know of in Puna.

Old 08-17-2007, 04:37 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,320,926 times
Hi Julie,

You will need to check the Nanawale CC&Rs regarding temporary structures and building materials required for improvements to property. (PM me if you would like me to email the CC&Rs to you as a PDF file. Or you can request a copy from the Community Association.)

Old 08-17-2007, 05:59 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,624,579 times
I'd forgotten to mention another aspect. I'm pretty sure Nanawales covenants preclude the use of any used building materials, except as decoration (like stained glass windows or teak doors, etc.) most subdivisions with CCR's do.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:24 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,605,520 times
I wouldn't even consider buying a home on the mainland, jacking it up, putting it on a trailor, then trucking it to the dock, putting it on a ship, sailing it to Hawaii, then doing the reverse process. The house would be about destroyed, and I doubt if any shipper would do it to begin with. Your best bet would be to get a precut house kit, it would include everything, lumber, plywood, both electrical and plumbing fixtures, windows, well...everything except the foundation and the builder. I think Hilo had a shop that used to bring them in. You could build it yourself, it's not exactly rocket science, but you would need a licensed plumber and electrician. Best of luck!

Aloha

Old 08-17-2007, 08:54 PM

29 posts, read 287,548 times
There is a modular home factory in Kona, just south of Costco. Though, I personally do not care for his product, they are well built, strong, steel framed homes. Modular homes are built for travel. From Kona to Puna is about as far as I would ship a house. After my horrible experience having my household goods shipped I sure would never trust shipping the house itself. Would have to be one great deal to make it worth the trip. Even if you were to ship the house you would require a tie down crew to tie the house to the ground, to the plumbing and such. In the end I really think it would cost more. I am generally positive but cannot manage to find one positive in this plan.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:42 PM

376 posts, read 493,854 times
Thanks for all of your ideas. Here is something funny. I sent a request to a company that moves homes (the home in question was located on the east coast). They came back with a price to do so at $500,000.25. LOL First of all, like duh, who would do that, but more so-what is the 25 cents for? Hahahaha.
I do have a copy somewhere of the CC&Rs but didn't think about the fact that Hawaii doesn't like having things brought there from the mainland. Forgot about that. (Used to living on the mainland) Thanks for your thoughts all. Mahalo and aloha.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:07 PM

Hawaii doesn't like things brought here from the mainland, I never realized that. I wonder where all this stuff comes from?

Aloha

Old 08-17-2007, 11:22 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,320,926 times
Don't like it if it is carrying frogs or creeping vines...

Old 08-18-2007, 01:09 AM

Point well taken Kolohe, guess I'll send my boa constrictor and pet iguana back to the pet shop on Oahu! JOKE!!!! I do have spare cats if you're interested. Pre-cut kit home would be the way to go, 1200 sf home would fit into 2 40' containers, they'ld drop it onto your lot, hopefully very gently, then you're on your own. Maybe $50 to $80 a sf, just for the kit, depending upon the options you choose. Now you've got me thinking, I have property at OVE, may take my own advice.

Aloha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii