Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 08:26 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauleahere&there View Post
Not this time. Lack of familiarity with the character map that produces the ū, maybe.
I'd like to believe that, but you listed your location as "Molokai" instead of "Moloka'i."

Part of being familiar with the Hawaiian language nowadays is knowing when and how to type an 'okina (glottal stop) and kahakō (macron) on a kamepiula (computer).

Many folks that use English as a primary language often spell the names of places in Hawai'i incorrectly. For the record, here are a few of the more popular places that are commonly misspelled...

Hawai'i
O'ahu
Kaua'i
Moloka'i
Lāna'i
Ni'ihau
Kaho'olawe
Waikīkī
Mānoa
Kāhala
Kaimukī
Kāne'ohe
Lā'ie
Nānākuli
Wai'anae
Kīlauea

Everyone has a different level of education, language ability, typing skill, etc. so typos, spelling errors, imperfect grammar are to be expected. Thus, it's kind of pointless to serve as "na māka'i kepela" ("the spelling police"), because no one's hemolele (perfect).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 09:12 PM

229 posts, read 929,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
I'd like to believe that, but you listed your location as "Molokai" instead of "Moloka'i."
I would point you toward this article which makes a case for alternate spellings of my location.

As for the "spelling police", perhaps you didn't read my sincere apology to the person who sparked this discussion. I am the first to admit that I'm not perfect. Perhaps I was also mistaken in trying to explain why I misunderstood her use of "granite" for "granted"--that it was a genuine misunderstanding of her meaning and not mocking her error. Look at my posts. I do not correct others' grammar or spelling and do my best to post civilly and on topic. The admins will tell you the same.

With that in mind, if you want to continue this discussion, let's do it somewhere else. There's no reason to continue cluttering someone else's thread.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:08 AM

323 posts, read 633,973 times
Wow, I used to live in Hawaii, and never heard of so much talk about spelling/grammar?? I guess it has changed, or you are all writers!

When I lived there, I thought it was beautiful and had a lovely, laid-back lifestyle, but it is limited in terms of culture and health care. But, I always said that I wished people could spend some time in Hawaii just to learn to relax a bit. It would make this whole country a better place! So many people in so many places are running around like chickens without their heads. Its SO annoying!

Personally, I am starting to look into living part time in Costa Rica, etc... Now those places are still laid back, but without the uptight American "keeping up with the Jones" garbage!

Old 09-09-2011, 02:36 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Quote:
I would point you toward this article which makes a case for alternate spellings of my location.
That's an interesting anecdote. However, living languages often change and grow. Although efforts were made to eradicate the Hawaiian language in the past, it lives. Hawaiian is my native language as well as the native language of most of my kūpuna. While dictionaries should not be "taken for granite" (pun intended), they were created by people and serve as a snapshot of the vocabulary of a language at a particular point in time. Before Hawaiian dictionaries were compiled, there was a phrase -- "Moloka'i nui a Hina" ("Great Moloka'i of Hina"). The reason "Moloka'i" is spelled with an 'okina is contained in the kaona (hidden meaning) of that phrase...

Quote:
As for the "spelling police", perhaps you didn't read my sincere apology to the person who sparked this discussion. I am the first to admit that I'm not perfect. Perhaps I was also mistaken in trying to explain why I misunderstood her use of "granite" for "granted"--that it was a genuine misunderstanding of her meaning and not mocking her error. Look at my posts. I do not correct others' grammar or spelling and do my best to post civilly and on topic. The admins will tell you the same.

With that in mind, if you want to continue this discussion, let's do it somewhere else. There's no reason to continue cluttering someone else's thread.
The OP is a male and hopefully, he'll return to this thread despite being hounded for his malapropism.

Some "mainlanders" (and other folks) who move to Hawai'i are changed by the experience. And some, change Hawai'i (or try to change it)...

Old 09-09-2011, 11:32 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,442,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
That's an interesting anecdote. However, living languages often change and grow. Although efforts were made to eradicate the Hawaiian language in the past, it lives. Hawaiian is my native language as well as the native language of most of my kūpuna. While dictionaries should not be "taken for granite" (pun intended), they were created by people and serve as a snapshot of the vocabulary of a language at a particular point in time. Before Hawaiian dictionaries were compiled, there was a phrase -- "Moloka'i nui a Hina" ("Great Moloka'i of Hina"). The reason "Moloka'i" is spelled with an 'okina is contained in the kaona (hidden meaning) of that phrase...

The OP is a male and hopefully, he'll return to this thread despite being hounded for his malapropism.

Some "mainlanders" (and other folks) who move to Hawai'i are changed by the experience. And some, change Hawai'i (or try to change it)...
My friend's there on the island say the word with me and help me get some of the saying of the word's right but i still miss them up here and there and some of the spelling of the word's i still get wrong .

But they do take the time to help me with the proper way of speaking in the native Hawai'i langauge and i have problems with a few of the word's because of speaking other langauge's and trying to wrap my own way of speaking to the word .some of the time they are laughing so hard at my miss use of the word that i'm trying to say that they do take the time to teach me how to say it in the proper way

I once tried to ask someone if they wanted the chair in Hawai'i langauge and what i said to them was sit your big a--- down on the chair and it was a very bad moment for me but all i got all night was hey sit your big a-- down on the chair henry ..

So now when i'm around the family it a bit of a joke when the people ask me to say sit in a chair please .Then they laugh like mad people when i try to get the proper sentence out in Hawai'i langauge .To me it was the worst night of my life. To them it a funny story that went over well and thank god no one was mad about it ..

All the family member's treat me as a brother to them and they make sure that i understand some of the traditions that Hawai'i island have and i try to follow there lead's when i'm around them in alot of the socalled family traditions there in big island

Old 09-10-2011, 11:28 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofsunshine123 View Post
I know it's naturally beautiful, but is it realistic to up and leave the mainland to live in some far-flung island out in the middle of the pacific?

Granite, I would totally jump if the opportunity presented itself and try living there for a few years, but I could not imagine living there the rest of my life (im 27 btw) there. It would just be the same old thing. . . limited places to go and eventually limited things to do.

Even to just get off the island is a massive undertaking, right? U gotta fly like 5 hours to california?

Have any mainlanders moved to Hawaii for an extended period of time? and what has been ur experience? Does the gloss wash away after a few years? or does it remain the magical islands u always dreamed of?
Yes, the magic remains and I would still live there if I could afford it. The difference between Hawaii and the mainland is like the difference between married and single. You have a different set of problems and have to choose which you want to cope with. I am in the process if starting a business. I doubt I would ever try that in Hawaii.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:35 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
It was really pretty and I enjoyed visiting as a tourist tremendously, but it's expensive (everyone knows that), much of the housing seems a little on the old/shabby side and almost everyone I spoke with from the mainland is working two jobs to survive.

Pluses and minuses like anywhere really. If you've visited (first and foremost), know you want to be there and are determined to make it work I'm sure you'd enjoy it. You just need to walk into it with your eyes wide open of the limitations of remote island living (and don't complain about it when you get there). Moving anywhere is tough when you don't have a support base to begin with, but of course it can be done.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:43 PM

4 posts, read 23,947 times
Aloha,
Moved to Honolulu to be close to family. Keep in mind that no matter where you are, you are who you are. The location only enhances and provides a back drop for your own baggage. That said, Hawaii is a wonderful backdrop.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:38 AM

2 posts, read 4,664 times
It depends on if you want a relaxed life or a more city life. it is a rock. its not like you could drive to a different state. at times it could get boring or I should say over time it could gert boring because there is only so much to do on a little rock. and lately it has been to over populated. lots of traffic and way to much people now.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:25 PM

6 posts, read 12,361 times
Default Wot, boddah you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Yes, the magic remains and I would still live there if I could afford it. The difference between Hawaii and the mainland is like the difference between married and single. You have a different set of problems and have to choose which you want to cope with. I am in the process if starting a business. I doubt I would ever try that in Hawaii.
It is magic to watch a bloated state government spin their wheels.
It's magic to watch an island with barely a million people, which can't even pay its teachers or fix its roads, undertake a $6 BILLION permanent union jobs plan, er,I mean, a fixed rail rapid transit system.
The rainbows are nice -- you can stare at them while you sit in gridlock on the H-1. Bottom line: if you have a few hundred thousand in the bank and don't have yuppie desires, you could move here and survive. See you at Costco for the $1.50 hotdog and soda -- Saturday night dinner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: