Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 06:53 AM

100 posts, read 328,773 times

Advertisements

alright, GRANTED!!!! omg, why dont u all just take me out back and crucify me!!! or shoot me, my god. .
lol,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 08:00 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,484,286 times
Hey there, Sunshine!

Cut yourself some slack.

Verbiage and grammar were invented for the purpose of communication, and if what is coming from your heart reaches mine then the mission is accomplished - to hell with the semantics. And I write for a living!

This isn't Grammar 101, it's a bunch of people jawing about the paradisaical Hawaiian Islands. Nobody's grading anyone here, and from what I've seen of most posts, few are remotely qualified to do so.

You take your place in the sun like everyone else. I like your brand of sunshine.

Much love to {{{{{{you}}}}}}} and yours.

Mahrie.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:05 PM

229 posts, read 929,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofsunshine123 View Post
alright, GRANTED!!!! omg, why dont u all just take me out back and crucify me!!! or shoot me, my god. .
lol,
My fault, and I'm sorry. I don't, as a rule, correct spelling or grammar in forums like these. My intention was not to cause you embarrassment. In this case, I truly missed your meaning.

I suspect that a regional or colloquial pronunciation of 'granted', is the culprit, as well as the fact that it was not simply a misspelling, but a word substitution.

No huhu. I just didn't get what you meant, and it wasn't clear to me from the context. That's all.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:17 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauleahere&there View Post
No huhu. I just didn't get what you meant, and it wasn't clear to me from the context. That's all.
Huhu? Why are you talking about wood-boring insects? From the context, I'll assume that you meant "no huhū" (no offense).

I suspect that a lack of familiarity with the Hawaiian language is the culprit, as well as the fact that it was not simply a misspelling, but a word substitution.

However, since we're kind of on the topic of huhu, Hawai'i has at least seven species of termites. Many folks that have a "Hawai'i as paradise" mindset often fail to notice some of the pests that come with living in such an "idyllic" place. Here's a link to an informative article about the termites in Hawai'i...
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~entomol/pdf_files/hsp-1.pdf

Old 09-08-2011, 03:21 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,402,451 times
There are lots of threads on this topic, and it's worth reading through them. Most mainlanders who move to Hawaii based on a 10-day vacation at a Maui resort end up moving back to the mainland within a couple years. First of all, day-to-day living isn't the same as taking a luxury vacation. Check yourself into a Miami resort hotel for a few days, relax on the beach, go to the spa, eat at the best restaurants, take in the nightlife -- and imagine that you're a tourist from, say, Ohio, and imagine what your impression of Miami would be. Then compare that to the reality of living there, having to find a job, finding a job that doesn't pay well, having to deal with traffic, adjusting to the Hispanic-influenced culture if you've never experienced it before, and so on.

Hawaii is like that. The culture is very different from anything you'll find on the mainland, because Hawaii used to be a sovereign nation. Type-A mainlanders who expect everything to be done "now," and who are blunt and brusque and expect the same in others, tend to hate living in Hawaii. Even if they behave that way unconsiously because it's how they were raised, it will get them the "stink eye" from locals, and they'll come to the conclusion that Hawaiians hate mainland haoles. If you expect things to be "the way they are back home," you'll be disappointed. It's expensive to live in Hawaii, and jobs tend not to pay as well as they do on the mainland. You might miss your friends and family on the mainland, and it can be expensive to visit. If you like to drive long distances, you'll get rock fever. If you enjoy four distinctive seasons, you'll find Hawaii's climate to be monotonous. I know plenty of people who enjoy visiting Hawaii but wouldn't want to live there, and a few who don't like it at all and don't visit. There are others who thought they'd love it, moved there, hated it, and moved back to the mainland. Others only planned to go for a few months or a couple years as an adventure, did so, and had a great time.

Then there are the people who make multiple visits to Hawaii, stray off the tourist path and get to know the locals, learn about and come to love the culture, are naturally laid-back, respectful, and open-minded, wouldn't want Hawaii to be like whatever other place they're used to, value the Hawaiian lifestyle more than material possessions and don't mind a potentially lower standard of living than they could have on the mainland, don't need to drive long distances, and love the weather and scenery. They make a carefully considered move to Hawaii, fully aware of what the trade-offs will be. Those people do just fine in Hawaii, and for them, it is paradise, as much as any place on earth can be.

Years ago, I moved to Portland, Oregon, in search of my own paradise. It turned out to be so, but not until I made a lot of adjustments in my own attitudes and expectations. I love the scenery, climate, culture, access to the outdoors, and diversity of things to do. It's suited to my interests and temperament in ways that other cities aren't. I wouldn't want to live in the flat Midwest, for instance, or in a rural town with little cultural diversity, or in a place with bitterly cold winters or brutally hot summers. If you read the Portland forum, you'll find it's a lot like the Hawaii forum. Many people move here or want to move here, based on our reputation as a liberal, laid-back, scenically spectacular eco-paradise. Many people find exactly that. Many are extremely disappointed and move away.

My wife is from Hawaii. I love Hawaii, too, and we hope to retire there. We both know its pluses and minuses, and we accept them. If we do move, I don't expect it to be "better" than Portland, just comparably wonderful. In Portland, there are things I miss about Hawaii. In Hawaii, I know there will be things I'll miss about Portland.

To the OP: If Hawaii intrigues you, definitely visit. As hotzcatz said, Key West probably has the closest vibe to Hawaii that you'll find on the mainland. If you like it, and you get the opportunity to live there for a couple years, go for it. When I was 27, I couldn't imagine living any place for the rest of my life, so there's no need for you to think in those terms. Someday, when you're older, you might get the urge to settle in one place. Or maybe not.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:30 PM

24 posts, read 84,097 times
Depends. We've been on Kauai for 9 years now. If you are addicted to surfing or fishing this is paradise no doubt. It is very laid back to the point of extreme apathy. For most everything else the life here is mostly like being in Manilla with the price of living in Beverly Hills. Schools are horrendous. Local families survive by living with 3 generations and you will not be a welcome sight if your skin is too pale. Many of our neighbors stick 6-8 people in a 750 sq. ft. condo.

Weather, surf, scenery is the best though.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:40 PM

698 posts, read 1,509,203 times
I think the biggest problem for mainlanders moving to Hawaii is they move to The Big Island or Maui and have trouble adjusting with the local culture and the country life those islands have to offer.

I think anybody moving to Hawaii should move to Oahu first. If they like it and can handle it, then make the move to one of the other islands.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:31 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,676,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofsunshine123 View Post
Have any mainlanders moved to Hawaii for an extended period of time? and what has been ur experience? Does the gloss wash away after a few years? or does it remain the magical islands u always dreamed of?
Hawaii was a major stop=over and shipping point for us. So much that we had a staff person. When the staff person transfered to the ainland, I jumped at the chance to relocate to Hawaii. Now understand that not only was i receiving a well above average salery, I had housing and transportation paid for. Almost half my living and operating expenses were paid by the company. Not to mention that my average day was only 6 hours with sometimes 4 - 10 days with no actual work but being paid.

About 5 years later, I was requesting a transfer back to the mainland.

The cost was not the reason.
Housing wan;t a reason.
Not having the time to do what i want was certianly not the reason.
The people of Hawaii was not the reason.
Taxes, government, politics, etc was not the reason.
Crowdedness of Hionolulu wasn;t the reason.
Traffic was not the reason.

The main reasons was that before the relocation, the person i replaced provided details about many things such as inability to do many things we take for granted on the mainland, the distance just to visit people on the mainland, limited venues so you didnt have 50 major concerts each year but only a handful. You couldn;t just up and go to a pro sports eventl or play or concert just about anytime. Lack of being able to just find what you need just about anywhere, and stuff like that. You couldn't find just about everything somewhere at any time of the day. Even little things like deciding to do some work on your car may have required ordering parts from the mainland and not just walking into 20 or so auto stores which seem to always have everything in stock. And there were no sceneic weekend driving getaway trips because as big as the state is, you have water seperating the islands with no bridges or tunnels. Nothing major, but a whole bunch of little things I was unprepeared for.

In looking back, the one and only reason that these became an issue was because when I was being preped for the move, I didn't fous on any of the "negatives" and hand at least one rose colored lens in the glasses and a single blinder on the other side. because I didn;t want to deal with those things, I really was unprepeared for the lifestyle I lived. The sad thingw as had I not brushed those things off, I probably would have been able to modify my ways to meet what hawaii had and how she had it instead of just thinking it wasn;t a big deal.

as i prepare for my ultimate move back to hawaii, I not only seek out all the negative things that others say can happen, I'm planning for dealing with them. I have no intention of downsizing, so I;m putting money away to buy that beachfront property and house. I have no desire to pick fruit off trees on the side of the road to make ends meet so I'm planning on being able to afford regualr supermarket buying. I will use coupns at a store I;m going to visit but I am not going going to waste my weekend going store to store to get mike cheaper at one place, butter cheaper at another, and bread from a third. I want to go resturant hoping. I don;t want to have to wait a week for parts because the only store that does have it in stock is expensive.

I want to be able to enjoy Hawaii the way i want to enjoy her, in the liestyle I feel makes the experince oh so much better. I don;t want the little speed bumps of island living to be a hill. So I;m now planning to live the way i want to live, do the things I want to do, and not have to lower my standard of living because of expenses. And I;m not going to make up some BS excuse of "modifying" my lifestyle just because the modification are necessary to meet my income. I* am going to live the way I want to live because the next time, I;m removing all the colored glass and throwing off the blinders and will face the any Hawaii shortcommings ahead of time so they will not ever be a reason for me not to be happy on Hawaii.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:38 PM

229 posts, read 929,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Huhu?
I suspect that a lack of familiarity with the Hawaiian language is the culprit...
Not this time. Lack of familiarity with the character map that produces the ū, maybe.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:40 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,442,386 times
I guess i'm going to have to say something about this post .It what you make of your time there in the island that count's .Me my kid's are grown and out of the house and on there own and living there own life in this world.

I been to Hawaii a few time's in my line of work and i was stationed there also so i like the place and i know how to deal with people and yes there are some people no matter what they are going to be a total d---head type and you run into those people all over the state's

One of the reason why i chose the Big Island as my retirement place was the basic fact that is a little larger than the rest of the Island there in Hawaii & given that fact i can go somewhere else on the island vist or eat or spend the night and then come back the next day to the house as feeling i have taken a small trip to somewhere .

Plus why i choose the Big Island also i can get away with wearing short's & t-shirts all year round as a normal dress code and no snow or ice condition's on the road to deal with ..

So i hope that helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: