Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 11:34 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Just go to Key West, that's about as close to Waikiki as anyplace else on the mainland. If you like Key West, then you can work out from there and see if Hawaii is worth a visit for you.
I have to totally disagree, Key West is nothing like Waikiki. Even the weather isn't similar with the humidity in Key West. The similarity ends at the hotels and beach, people live/work in Waikiki in a major city, it isn't like you live in Key West and commute to Miami daily for work - there are no good comparisons on the mainland to Hawaii, it is such a unique place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 11:24 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,688,437 times
I would like to save like 10 gs and up and move to Hawaii.

see where it takes me. I wanna be a bum on the beach panhandling for money

Old 09-14-2011, 12:35 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
LOL Optimus! You and the other half of the planet, too. Panhandling on the beach for money will get you three squares in a square room, so I guess you can live cheap in Hawaii.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:08 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,295,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofsunshine123 View Post
I know it's naturally beautiful, but is it realistic to up and leave the mainland to live in some far-flung island out in the middle of the pacific?

Granite, I would totally jump if the opportunity presented itself and try living there for a few years, but I could not imagine living there the rest of my life (im 27 btw) there. It would just be the same old thing. . . limited places to go and eventually limited things to do.

LOOOOOOOOOL
i'm at the office and when i read 'granite', I burst out into laughter (way too loud for the office but i couldn't control it) and i wasn't able to stop for a couple of minutes.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:01 AM

805 posts, read 1,509,689 times
It's still paradise after you live here a while...just that you get to know some of the annoying elements:

- Centipedes (the giant mom and her babies that look like thin brown threads on your bed...except they wiggle when you touch it, which I did without knowing what they were.)

- Other Unidentified Moving Objects, like a black shiny plastic-looking wire about 3 inches in length lying on the carpet, and due to having lived here for sometime, I wisely used a stick to nudge it to see if it moved...because IT DID.

- Mosquitoes all year round.

- Unbearable heat while you sleep and a hot car to drive around in. Too hot to walk around in the sunshine unless you're ready to jump in the ocean.

- Things break down quickly: termites devouring the ceiling, rust eating away your car and computer parts, and plenty of mice to chew thru the walls and get into your sack of rice.

- Spiders spiders everywhere!

- Online purchases that say free shipping except for Alaska and Hawaii.

- Gas prices.

These elements just make paradise cumbersome and annoying. Paradise isn't perfect.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:51 AM

270 posts, read 506,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofsunshine123 View Post
I know it's naturally beautiful, but is it realistic to up and leave the mainland to live in some far-flung island out in the middle of the pacific?

Granite, I would totally jump if the opportunity presented itself and try living there for a few years, but I could not imagine living there the rest of my life (im 27 btw) there. It would just be the same old thing. . . limited places to go and eventually limited things to do.

Even to just get off the island is a massive undertaking, right? U gotta fly like 5 hours to california?

Have any mainlanders moved to Hawaii for an extended period of time? and what has been ur experience? Does the gloss wash away after a few years? or does it remain the magical islands u always dreamed of?
I lived in S Florida almost 20 years. Why move to Hawaii? Boca is OK and weather the same. Traffic on I-35 is always dense. Hurricanes yearly with tropical storms at least. No state taxes and access to cruises at Ft Lauderdale Port Everglades is nice. Cruise to nowhere on New years Eve just off the coast 7PM to early AM with meals and breakfast! Cheap!
Just drive to key West and stay a weekend every few months. Cheaper and less hassles.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:43 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,508,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers Creepers View Post
Boca is OK and weather the same.
Weather isn't even close to the same. I spent a few weeks working in Boca in the summer. It sucked. With low (night) temps in the upper '70's and real high humidity. The chance for temps in the upper '90's? No thanks.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:20 PM

270 posts, read 506,213 times
Yes, temps are close sometimes but humidity is a devil there.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:17 PM

6 posts, read 30,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I would like to save like 10 gs and up and move to Hawaii.

see where it takes me. I wanna be a bum on the beach panhandling for money
I am doing just that except the panhandling part. Maybe beach bum it for a bit.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:57 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,894,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingDaMainland View Post
I am doing just that except the panhandling part. Maybe beach bum it for a bit.
Uh-oh ... define "beach bum"? What exactly is it you think you will do to get by on the beaches here that isn't already cornered by established locals under [strictly] controlled regulations? You got my curiosity working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: