Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 04:59 PM

100 posts, read 329,464 times

Advertisements

I know it's naturally beautiful, but is it realistic to up and leave the mainland to live in some far-flung island out in the middle of the pacific?

Granite, I would totally jump if the opportunity presented itself and try living there for a few years, but I could not imagine living there the rest of my life (im 27 btw) there. It would just be the same old thing. . . limited places to go and eventually limited things to do.

Even to just get off the island is a massive undertaking, right? U gotta fly like 5 hours to california?

Have any mainlanders moved to Hawaii for an extended period of time? and what has been ur experience? Does the gloss wash away after a few years? or does it remain the magical islands u always dreamed of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 05:37 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,610,508 times
This is what they call Rock (or Island) Fever. Many people move to hawaii and return to the mainland in less than a year. It can be, and is paradise to many, but it's not for everyone. Some make the rash decision to move after spending a week in a resort on Waikiki and expect living in HI to be just like their vacation. If you're at all considering moving, VISIT FIRST.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...ock-fever.html

Old 09-07-2011, 09:13 PM

229 posts, read 930,904 times
[quote=dreamingofsunshine123;20784982]I know it's naturally beautiful, but is it realistic to up and leave the mainland to live in some far-flung island out in the middle of the pacific?

It depends on what you're looking for. Adventure, yes, especially for someone your age who doesn't necessarily have other people counting on them. Paradise, maybe, but not perfect. It can be very hard to find work and it's expensive.

Granite,

umm, granite?

Even to just get off the island is a massive undertaking, right? U gotta fly like 5 hours to california?

Depending on which island you're on, it's a puddle-jumper flight to Honolulu, and THEN 5+ hrs. to the mainland. If you're going back to Boca, figure on at least one stop. Expect to spend over $1k every time.

Have any mainlanders moved to Hawaii for an extended period of time? and what has been ur experience? Does the gloss wash away after a few years?

Some say it does--your mileage may vary.

or does it remain the magical islands u always dreamed of?

Magical, no, even though you will see a lot of rainbows. Again, it really depends what you're looking for. It is a different and beautiful place with a culture that will teach you many things, if you pay attention. But you will also see things that frustrate you about the "system" here. And working to survive is very good at sucking your energy and taking the gloss off things. If you come with the understanding that you will encounter things that are not perfect, you have a better chance of enjoying yourself while you're here. You should visit first.

Honestly, depending on where you live, it may not be that much different from Boca, at least in terms of climate. And it's very likely cheaper to live in FL. In terms of laid-back places, why not try the Keys? You can stay in touch with your friends and family, and if it doesn't work out, it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg to get home.

Last edited by lauleahere&there; 09-07-2011 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 09-07-2011, 10:22 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,610,508 times
[quote=lauleahere&there;20788271]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofsunshine123 View Post

Granite,

umm, granite?

gneiss catch!

Old 09-07-2011, 10:27 PM

52 posts, read 109,105 times
I was there for 2.5 years. I never got island fever. It' s still magical for me. I'm moving back. Not going to make it a permanent home, but a temporary home. <4years. I think by that time I may be ready for something new. I moved away from Hawaii and missed it so much. Not a good decision on my part.

It is definitely not for every transplant. Especially people who are prone to homesickness, or who have close family ties on the mainland. Or people who will absolutely "just die" if they can't have their Chipotle or something. Moving to Hawaii is for adventurous spirits. I think you can truly appreciate the island more if you get out and explore it often, enjoy the smaller things in life, and don't mind slowing it down a bit.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:29 PM

3,198 posts, read 13,423,497 times
Granite? you mean "granted..........." ?

We have lived here for 8 years, with some of my grown children also moving here after we did. We live on the Big Island in and around Kailua Kona.

No island fever here. Some frustration at times with the political machine, poor education and lack of quality medical care however, overall we love it here for many reasons. Sure, the weather is idyllic because I happen to loathe being cold and drudging through short winter days and long winter nights. Coming from Las Vegas, it is much much safer, less crime, more community neighborliness so to speak like where we grew up in the Ozarks. I have gone as long as 4 years without leaving the islands to visit family on the mainland. Usually that has been because of the cost of travel vs paying for a wedding or something like that!

Very high cost of living compared to many places on the mainland and now, high unemployment drives many back to the mainland for work and cheaper living. Missing family members is probably the main reason people move back although economic reasons are a close tie nowadays. Second is the need for specialized or expert medical care. That is practically non-existent on the outer islands and somewhat available on Oahu. Some people just never adjust to the type of living that is "Hawaii". Slower pace, different values, many cultures.

If you have a skill and can afford to live here for a few years, go for it.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:22 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,903,865 times
[quote=lauleahere&there;20788271] Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofsunshine123

Granite,

umm, granite?

gneiss catch!

Schist kidding?

Old 09-08-2011, 01:20 AM

229 posts, read 930,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Granite? you mean "granted..........." ?
Of course!

Old 09-08-2011, 01:22 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,106,558 times
Just go to Key West, that's about as close to Waikiki as anyplace else on the mainland. If you like Key West, then you can work out from there and see if Hawaii is worth a visit for you.

Getting from Hawaii to Florida is a brutal trip. My friends have kids in Florida and they are going to visit them next month. They have a two day stop over scheduled in San Diego, then a week in Florida then two days in Seattle on the way back. That breaks the flights into smaller chunks although there is still the five hours plus flight from the mainland to the islands. Last time they flew to Florida in one long trip with two or three stop overs and they were travelling for about 26 hours what with all the delays and stop overs. They said "never again" for an uninterrupted trip of that length.

We get a lot of folks who are going to "Move to Paradise" (write that in some sort of purple rainbow script with dancing dophins on either side) and we usually roll our eyes and sigh since those are usually the folks who cause all sorts of trouble before they flame out, spiral around, crash, splatter everyone nearby and then fly back to the mainland. The garage sales just before they leave are pretty good, though, but there's all kinds of chaos before they decide this really isn't paradise after all.

Betcha you got lots of these same folks moving to Florida?

Old 09-08-2011, 04:52 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,491,178 times
G'morning!

Fwiw, I have observed that one man's paradise is another man's hell.

I've pretty much traveled the world, with a few minor exceptions, so when I find a place that brings peace to my spirit, I'd rather stay put until I'm planted, as peace is a happy word at my age and stage.

There are many different kinds of beauty on planet Earth, and I enjoy them all, but I like sunshine, warmth, and a laissez-faire ambiance, and the strong sense of community that prevails in 'Old Hawai'i.'

If I had stayed healthy and avoided airplane crashes and car wrecks, I probably wouldn't have left the remote Canadian Coastal Mountains, but seven-month-long winters aren't kind to injuries, and Hawai'i has always held a special place in my heart. I'll keep my cabin in the mountains, but for short vacations and photo shoots only - God Willing. Other than that, I couldn't care less if I left my property more than once a year when I like to visit Honolulu to shop.

I find the gifts of life and love 'Magical,' so when you throw in blue skies, warm breezes, the sound of the sea, mountain and ocean vistas, and a plethora of tropical foliage, well, what more can a person want? (Nobody say chocolate! )

Shalom Aleichem,

Mahrie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: