Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 01:59 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,687 times

Advertisements

Can a landlord charge an additional "pet rent" in Hawaii? For instance, an extra $25 per month per pet.

I know that you cannot charge an extra pet deposit over the one month security deposit, but can't seem to find any references to a pet rent.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 03:06 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,516 times
Yes, they can. I had to do it for the first place we moved into. Sucks, but the pet friendly market is tight and enables them to do this.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
Yes, they can. I had to do it for the first place we moved into. Sucks, but the pet friendly market is tight and enables them to do this.
Ok, thank you!!

Old 09-10-2011, 04:49 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
I'm not so sure they can do that at all. For one thing, you can't change the rent from what's advertised based on who is going to occupy the property. We either allow pets or we don't - Pet Addendum covers tenant responsibility for any damages, waste removal, flea treatment, health certificate etc. but there's no raising the rent because they have a pet.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:22 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,152 times
Exclamation Find the LL/Tenant code...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Can a landlord charge an additional "pet rent" in Hawaii? For instance, an extra $25 per month per pet.

I know that you cannot charge an extra pet deposit over the one month security deposit, but can't seem to find any references to a pet rent.

Thanks!
NO...they cannot 'legally' charge any additional deposit for pets. They can include extra fees in their rental deposits but cannot legally specify it is for pets.
Koale

Old 09-10-2011, 10:23 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,152 times
Question again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
No they cannot. I am, however, assuming we are talking about Hawaii Rentals?
Koale

Old 09-11-2011, 06:52 AM

Ok, so seems like there's some confusion. Does anyone have links to the law for this? I tried looking at the Hawaii LL/Tenant site but didn't have any luck. It was very clear on deposits, but I found NO reference to pet rents.

I have a friend looking for a new place out there and I was telling her about the deposits and that they can't charge a pet rent. Then she tells me her current place is charging her $50 per month for her dogs. So I thought I'd look into it. When I lived in Hawaii and was looking for rentals, I NEVER saw an advertised pet rent.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:19 AM

668 posts, read 2,186,962 times
If it were me, I would write a Letter to the Editor of your local newspaper. Its a section in most newspapers where people can air gripes or complaints, and in your case, you can get answers to your quesetions.

Maybe people dont know its is, or against the law to do this, but, if you bring it to the attention of a lot of folks in the biggest newspaper on the Island, then Im betting your going to get an answer!!

Your landlord may not appreciate what they say, if its against them...(You can also contact your Councilperson at City hall, and ask them to look into this 'pet rent', if its legal or not).

I can see if they ask for a larger security deposit, but, charging for an animal is rediculous!! What if you have guinnea pigs? Do they come in and count each one to asses another charge if the rascals get frisky and multiply?? Now THAT would be halarious, and I would definetely contact the local Radio and Television Stations over that one... Really embarrass the cheapskate, and give you the attention towards this sort of nonesense that it deserves, a good belly laugh at the soundrel who will pinch your pennies...

(Lets just hope he doesnt start charging you for taking showers, by putting a quarter in a slot for water LOL... or, for breathing his/her air!!).

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 09-11-2011, 12:36 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
No deposits other than a security deposit equaling one months rent is allowed in Hawaii. No other "fees" are allowed by law. No cleaning fee, non-refundable fees, nada. They can charge less if they want to but not more. If your rent is $1500 a month plus tax, your deposit is $1500.00 even (no tax) which is kept in the LL's trust account.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
No deposits other than a security deposit equaling one months rent is allowed in Hawaii. No other "fees" are allowed by law. No cleaning fee, non-refundable fees, nada. They can charge less if they want to but not more. If your rent is $1500 a month plus tax, your deposit is $1500.00 even (no tax) which is kept in the LL's trust account.
Yes I said I'm aware of this.

My question is in regards to a "pet rent." So say your rent is $1500 per month... they have a pet rent of $50 per month. So, if you have pets, it's $1550 per month. If you don't have pets, it's $1500.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii