Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 04:37 PM

941 posts, read 1,973,521 times

Advertisements

I would second the renting and buy-if-you-stay plan. Dealing with a rental, even with local contacts is a pain, not to mention a financial drain. By law you need local management (not just a friend or family member who takes care of it), so that's 10% (at least) off the top.

As for the "spreading the wealth" issue, GE taxes (like a sales tax, paid by everyone) go into the general fund to cover stuff like education, and Hotel and car taxes and fees essentially cover the impact of the hotels and cars themselves (congestion mitigation, road improvements, increased infrastructure such as sewers). Property taxes are higher for non owner-occupants, though it's the same whether you live in-state or out-of-state, just not at the property.

I agree with jackrabbit808 in general, though not really the way he said it (gives the wrong impression and gets dismissed). My take on the issue is that it is in a community's interest to promote local involvement. People who come with cash to speculate and flip just drive prices up and keep rents high. People who buy a place to retire or mainland landlords as in this case still keep rents high because they want to cover their mortgage (and those 10% management fees). Outside investement is usually needed to create new housing, but that's not the problem right now. What we need is housing that is affordable to Hawaii's middle class without competing with the mainland's real-estate investors. I think that would create better living standards in Hawaii and improve communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 07:08 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,880,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
I would second the renting and buy-if-you-stay plan. Dealing with a rental, even with local contacts is a pain, not to mention a financial drain. By law you need local management (not just a friend or family member who takes care of it), so that's 10% (at least) off the top.
You do not have to have a paid (10%+) agency on island. A friend or family member can do this. I also believe that mainland landlords help keep rents low.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:11 PM

8 posts, read 12,992 times
Thanks for all the advice!

Jackrabbit, the home we're interested in is actually owned by a couple on the mainland who bought it for investment, so not quite the situation you guessed However, I do appreciate the discussion you started. I know this is a difficult issue, and we'd prefer not to be part of the problem as much as possible, although I guess just by moving here we are adding to more "outsiders" taking resources.

I'd like to get involved in the community and learn how things are done around here. Any suggestions on where to get involved? I'm thinking of helping out with the local schools as a start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii