Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 01:35 PM

7 posts, read 40,553 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone has any advice with regard to keeping cane spiders away with some sort of non-pesticide solution. I'm going to be camping on Oahu for a couple months, and I'm hoping to prevent any cane spiders from crawling onto my tent, as this happened occasionally when I was out there a couple years ago. It was pretty scary the first time I saw a cane spider the size of my palm chillin' on the outside screen part of my tent (I just happened to shine my flashlight on it when I was about to go to sleep).
I remember somebody mentioning something about an herbal material that works, but I searched google and came up with nothing. Any similar advice for centipedes would also be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 03:56 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,401 times
As long as it's on the outside of the tent, no problem. Just keep the door zipped up all the time. Bugs and camping usually go together.

I do know that some insects (such as ants) are repelled by lavender oils. A lot of essential oils of plants work against insects (that's how they evolved in the plants), such as cedar against moths, citronella against mosquitoes, etc. So just buy some of those essential oils at a natural beauty supply store (or new age type store often has them too): lavender, cedar, eucalyptus, geranium, etc. Dilute these with a neutral oil and dab it on all around the bottom of the tent and outer stakes. Or put it in a spray bottle and mist it on regularly.

If I may be curious, how and why do you camp out for months on Oahu?

Old 10-07-2011, 08:43 AM

22 posts, read 84,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1974 View Post
I was wondering if anyone has any advice with regard to keeping cane spiders away with some sort of non-pesticide solution. I'm going to be camping on Oahu for a couple months, and I'm hoping to prevent any cane spiders from crawling onto my tent, as this happened occasionally when I was out there a couple years ago. It was pretty scary the first time I saw a cane spider the size of my palm chillin' on the outside screen part of my tent (I just happened to shine my flashlight on it when I was about to go to sleep).
I remember somebody mentioning something about an herbal material that works, but I searched google and came up with nothing. Any similar advice for centipedes would also be appreciated.
Cane spiders are foragers w/o a nest and look for food anywhere possible. They like clinging to vertical areas and LOVE cockroaches. Not poison but will bite. Most spiders I repell by spraying a plastic hand spray bottle I keep filled with a solution of chlorox and water 50/50. A few sprays around the tent may help. I also keep a similar bottle of clothes starch (StaFlo etc) mixed with water 60/40 and zap the little buggers to S-L-O-W them down and apply a dense material to them such as a wood block! Some also just freeze up and stand there like a statute.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:12 PM

7 posts, read 40,553 times
I wonder which types of oil in particular can be used for cane spiders or centipedes. Google seems to be of no help.

To answer KauaiHiker, I'm from Connecticut and can't stand the winter here, so I bring all my camping gear to Hawaii whenever I can afford it, and try to stay as long as possible. I end up having to stay at one of the private campgrounds on Wednesdays and Thursdays when the county parks are closed. This time around I'm going to purchase a used car for around $2000, as I rented a car the whole time I was out there the last time and this became too expensive. And using TheBus isn't an option since they won't allow the oversized bags I need for my camping gear when I need to move everything to the private campgrounds.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:47 AM

4,412 posts, read 4,897,043 times
Not sure what you mean by "non pesticide" but there are a lot of tent and gear sprays that use pyrethrin to repel the buggers. It's extracted from Chrysanthemum flowers, but it is considered a pesticide. Depending on brand, are effective for weeks even with rain or washing.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:59 AM

1 posts, read 8,099 times
Starch as in corn starch ? And what if i had cane burning in front my house would that keep them away please help me i found 2 already me and my kids are afraid
Please help me

Old 05-09-2014, 10:29 AM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1974 View Post
......... to prevent any cane spiders from crawling onto my tent,......
Most tents come with screens over the windows and doors, so if you keep the windows and doors closed, the spiders have no choice but to stay out.

Sign the kids up for some sort of spider and snake study course so that they can learn that the cane spiders are amazing creatures that should be protected and are not to be feared.

As for the $2,000 cheap car, that is about the cost to ship your own car there and back. If your car is reliable, that beats shopping for a beat up car that might or might not run after you buy it (Are you a highly skilled mechanic that you can tell a good car from a lemon?)

From Connecticut, it costs more to ship, or you could drive south and camp across the southern edge of the continental USA and enjoy some amazing sights. the car shipper with the best reputation sails out of San Diego.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:37 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Most tents come with screens over the windows and doors, so if you keep the windows and doors closed, the spiders have no choice but to stay out.

Sign the kids up for some sort of spider and snake study course so that they can learn that the cane spiders are amazing creatures that should be protected and are not to be feared.

As for the $2,000 cheap car, that is about the cost to ship your own car there and back. If your car is reliable, that beats shopping for a beat up car that might or might not run after you buy it (Are you a highly skilled mechanic that you can tell a good car from a lemon?)

From Connecticut, it costs more to ship, or you could drive south and camp across the southern edge of the continental USA and enjoy some amazing sights. the car shipper with the best reputation sails out of San Diego.
Have you ever seen a cane spider? They're GROSS! We've had a couple come into our house (yes, we have screens on all the windows and doors). They are huge and hard to catch because they jump. I certainly would not want one crawling into my tent!

Old 05-09-2014, 03:12 PM

834 posts, read 1,217,200 times
There's a Hawaiian product developed just for cane spiders, centipedes, and water bugs. They are called 'slippers' and are cheap, reusable, come in a variety of colors and designs, but all kill insects on impact. The resulting flatness of the crushed bug is appreciated for easier storage. The slipper can then be rinsed and dried easily. There is no chemical applied and no age restriction for usage. In fact, prolonged usage may burn calories, increase agility and reaction time. Such insect control methods in a household or camping trip are a valuable family and group entertainment activity.

In an emergency these slippers can serve also as simple foot wear.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:29 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
As for the $2,000 cheap car, that is about the cost to ship your own car there and back.
From Connecticut? $4,500 would be a more reasonable estimate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii