Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I was born in...
Hawaii 11 18.03%
Mainland USA - Pacific time zone (or AK) 11 18.03%
Mainland USA - Rocky Mtn or Central time zone 13 21.31%
Mainland USA - Eastern time zone 21 34.43%
Asia 0 0%
Europe 3 4.92%
Other 2 3.28%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 06:41 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,251,782 times

Advertisements

I just have a theory that probably all our posters on this forum were born elsewhere. Which would make sense as this is a relocation-based forum.

Thought I'd do a poll just to confirm that though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 02:24 PM

45 posts, read 163,424 times
After first reading this poll I thought you wanted people to guess where you, Tiger Beer, were born. So I voted for Eastern Time Zone because I think I remember reading that you are from Michigan.
Now I realize that this poll is most likely about where each individual member who posts on this forum was born.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:15 PM

52 posts, read 159,616 times
California and will be moving back to the mainland in a few years (renting right now). I love the island lifestyle, but do not want to be part of the problem by buying up real estate just because I can afford it. I see how rough the hard working locals have it and it just doesn't sit well with me. I'll probably settle in Texas.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:27 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,956,370 times
..Hawaii

Old 10-14-2011, 07:07 PM

941 posts, read 1,970,147 times
Jackrabbit808 said: "I love the island lifestyle, but do not want to be part of the problem by buying up real estate just because I can afford it. I see how rough the hard working locals have it and it just doesn't sit well with me."

The honesty and integrity is refreshing, thanks. I struggle with the same moral dilemma, except I already own. I consciously bought in an established neighborhood, not McMansion on ag lot profiting some developer. Yet I know it displaced someone, kept the average price higher (for about a week or so, seeing where it's at now :-). I rationalize my impact by having a mainland telecommute job, and spending most of my money locally (and not at mainland franchise stores either). I have an anchor baby here, blond, blue-eyed Leilani--now wondering if the choice of names wasn't presumptuous somehow. I try to fit into the community, but to be honest, haven't made a huge circle of local friends, mostly other stable transplants with professional jobs too.

The poll is kinda skewed: I was born east coast but don't have any connections there, lived half my life in Europe, went to school and worked in California for a long time. Most telling would be where you moved from, or where did you consider was your previous home. I'm one of those people who didn't have a home town, so to speak, so we decided to create one on Kaua'i when it came time to have kids.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:13 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,132,638 times
I was born and raised in Hawaii. My Hubby has recently become more disabled and he has missed HIS home desperately (he's been away since 1985) so we've pulled up stakes so that he could be at home with HIS family for a while. I miss home terribly (dear Lord especially this summer!!!!), but I've always loved Alabama and so far all of the people have been just lovely, and it is nice to be in an area with family (really a change for us since we were Army for 23 years).

I know we'll be back to Hawaii in the future, but my DH just needs to heal and it is a kick to see him turn back into a boy around his cousins (running through the Bama woods like wild creatures and BAMA football season is truly something to witness!).

Ultimately, Hawaii is home, her people and her lands are in my blood (literally), and I cannot be away forever.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:37 AM

52 posts, read 159,616 times
Thanks KauaiHiker,

I've established myself financially mainly because of the military and because I have a very frugal Filipino wife who is a registered nurse who graduated from HPU and is a wonderful mother too our two children. Between the two of us we can easily afford two mortgages and have already banked 36 months of college for both of our kids due to the wonderful GI Bill. My pension is set, savings are rarely touched, and if it can't be paid with by debit card (i.e. cash) then we don't get it. The only exception to this is vehicles and real estate.

Rather than invest in another home we went and purchased *gasp* timeshares at Aulani. Here is why: We went to a character breakfast and I saw one of the lead singers from Na Leo play the role as "Auntie Angela". I remember seeing them sing back in 1999-2000 when I was here before. When the movers moved our stuff into our rental home I spoke with one of them and he mentioned about how hard it was to find a job. He was very articulate and mentioned how he helped build Aulani, but now that it was done he was manual labor moving boxes. At Aulani I also saw lifeguards every 20 meters and friendly staff all throughout the complex. I realized that these are all hard working locals just trying to get by while my well-to-do ass was enjoying the sun (with the wife and kids of course). The thought of displacing one of them because I can afford to just made me a little ill. I can't do it. So we took a bite and now have timeshares at Disney Vacation Club so we can visit (andgobackmainland) when we return to the mainland. We can also use the points for staying at other hotels and cruises for when we are all geezered out.

You see it is tough for me. But this is all about me and I don't intend for you or anybody else reading this to feel bad for their life decisions. Live your life, grow your family. Be yourself.

I'm Asian. I'm burly and at first glance can easily fit in as looking like I am from here. This is the only state I've been in where I honestly feel like I "belong" due to my nationality. I, however, make it a point not to use pidgin. Not because I hold that dialect with contempt, but because I don't want to make any attempt to put on airs that I am from here when I am not. A hold fast to my label as a "katonk" with pride. I kept my mainland plates so everybody knows I'm not from around here when I drive. But, at the same time I drive slow (especially when the wife is watching) and use my turning signal. I shop at local stores when possible, but the wife loves Target so what can you do as a husband? I study local programs and feel for what Hawaiians have gone through. This is their place, not mine. So, I'll retire somewhere on the mainland. Hopefully not too cold and hopefully my kids visit me every now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
Jackrabbit808 said: "I love the island lifestyle, but do not want to be part of the problem by buying up real estate just because I can afford it. I see how rough the hard working locals have it and it just doesn't sit well with me."

The honesty and integrity is refreshing, thanks. I struggle with the same moral dilemma, except I already own...I'm one of those people who didn't have a home town, so to speak, so we decided to create one on Kaua'i when it came time to have kids.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:36 AM

217 posts, read 640,977 times
Great POST! I love this. I was born on the East Coast but I live in Texas, vacation in Hawaii.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:09 PM

758 posts, read 1,642,669 times
I don't really post on this forum too much, but I do lurk here a bit. Born in Missouri, my family (mom, sister, stepdad) moved to Oahu about 3 1/2 years ago, I visited HI last September, found this forum.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:16 PM

1,632 posts, read 484,501 times
I try to read threads and make posts in many different state forums, but I have always lived in Central Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii