Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 08:35 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
I saw all those same warnings, but did it anyway. I'll say: There were some stretches where I was pretty glad no one was coming the other way, but there were very few of those. You're driving slow and looking at the sites, so it's not a problem. Just think of it like a mountain road... curvy & narrow, but nothing more than that. I think the road around the northeast end of Maui is way, way trickier, and with much less payoff in terms of what you see.

(Some friends of mine did road to Hana in a tour group. If you really don't want to drive it, then at least consider doing that. But I actually get more car sick as a passenger in a van than as a driver. And if you drive, you decide where you stop and for how long.)

Maui restaurants: Pacific'o and I'o are trying the farm-to-table thing, and I've heard good reviews of them. I loved Hali'imaile General Store.
Agree about road to Hana -- it's just a narrow, curvy mountain road. I think what you're describing as "the road around the northeast end of Maui" is what we call "the back road to Hana." It's very rugged, unpaved in areas, and there are long stretches with views that don't appeal to everyone. There's a lot of discussion about whether it's even "legal" to take a rental car there, but since the OP isn't going, that doesn't matter.

We generally prefer Pacific'O to I'o but both menus are online. Pacific'O also has a nice lunch menu if you want to try a dinner-only restaurant in Lahainatown like Lahaina Grill or Gerard's.

For good casual food (and fun) in Lahaina, try Mala Tavern and its new sister Honu for lunch or dinner. (Both are on the waterfront on Front Street at Kapunakea -- where the Safeway is). Honu specializes in seafood and Mala's menu has several salads, sandwiches, and local entrees. Both serve lunch and dinner, and Mala opens for brunch on Saturday and Sunday from 9-3.

If you're up at Kapalua, we had an excellent dinner at Banyan Tree at the Ritz-Carlton last week, too. (And/or sunset wine and pupus on the point at Merriman's is nice, too.)

If you're interested in farm-to-table, you can also have lunch at O'o farm (upcountry, on the same road as Ali'i Kula Lavender farm). It belongs to the group that owns Pacific'O and I'o. You tour the farm, pick some vegetables, and they cook lunch at an outdoor kitchen. We did it about a year ago and had a great time. Lunch was fresh vegetables, grilled local fish, herb grilled tofu and a fruit dessert. You can take your own wine.

We had a great lunch at Hali'imaile a few of weeks ago. I much prefer it to the other Gannon restaurants. We also had dinner at Ferraro's at the Four Seasons a while back to see what the new chef is up to. It was the best meal we've had there, but not the best Italian we've ever had. Don't know if you're interested in Ferraro's, Duo, or Spago, but we've had mixed results at all of them.

Enjoy your stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 12:00 PM

491 posts, read 1,651,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot? View Post
Agree about road to Hana -- it's just a narrow, curvy mountain road. I think what you're describing as "the road around the northeast end of Maui" is what we call "the back road to Hana." It's very rugged, unpaved in areas, and there are long stretches with views that don't appeal to everyone. There's a lot of discussion about whether it's even "legal" to take a rental car there, but since the OP isn't going, that doesn't matter.

We generally prefer Pacific'O to I'o but both menus are online. Pacific'O also has a nice lunch menu if you want to try a dinner-only restaurant in Lahainatown like Lahaina Grill or Gerard's.

For good casual food (and fun) in Lahaina, try Mala Tavern and its new sister Honu for lunch or dinner. (Both are on the waterfront on Front Street at Kapunakea -- where the Safeway is). Honu specializes in seafood and Mala's menu has several salads, sandwiches, and local entrees. Both serve lunch and dinner, and Mala opens for brunch on Saturday and Sunday from 9-3.

If you're up at Kapalua, we had an excellent dinner at Banyan Tree at the Ritz-Carlton last week, too. (And/or sunset wine and pupus on the point at Merriman's is nice, too.)

If you're interested in farm-to-table, you can also have lunch at O'o farm (upcountry, on the same road as Ali'i Kula Lavender farm). It belongs to the group that owns Pacific'O and I'o. You tour the farm, pick some vegetables, and they cook lunch at an outdoor kitchen. We did it about a year ago and had a great time. Lunch was fresh vegetables, grilled local fish, herb grilled tofu and a fruit dessert. You can take your own wine.

We had a great lunch at Hali'imaile a few of weeks ago. I much prefer it to the other Gannon restaurants. We also had dinner at Ferraro's at the Four Seasons a while back to see what the new chef is up to. It was the best meal we've had there, but not the best Italian we've ever had. Don't know if you're interested in Ferraro's, Duo, or Spago, but we've had mixed results at all of them.

Enjoy your stay.
Your suggestions are great. The Four Seasons is on our to do list for dinner so we'll see how that goes. That O'o farm you mention might be another one. Did you see any coffee farm that was interesting to see?

The Road to Hana or LOL, as some say the "The Road to Divorce", I've reserve a small rental, I hope it's enough for the drive to the summit of Haleakala crater.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:24 PM

Default More Maui Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappan Zee View Post
Your suggestions are great. The Four Seasons is on our to do list for dinner so we'll see how that goes. That O'o farm you mention might be another one. Did you see any coffee farm that was interesting to see?

The Road to Hana or LOL, as some say the "The Road to Divorce", I've reserve a small rental, I hope it's enough for the drive to the summit of Haleakala crater.
The only coffee farm that might offer tours is Ka'anapali Coffee in our neighborhood. It's laid out as mixed-use with the crops growing among a planned residential area. You can drive up and self-tour, or maybe contact the retail arm in Lahainatown (at the smokestack) to see if they'll take you on an ag tour. www.mauigrowncoffee.com Home Page

There are other growers, but I think they're mostly smaller operations that private-label their crops.

IMHO (and I grew up and learned to drive in the mountains), the secrets to both the Road to Hana and Haleakala are: 1) leave early and take your time, 2) pull over to let faster-moving traffic (especially locals) pass as soon as it's safe, and 3) use lower gears for climbing, long slopes, and steep descents. I've never been to Haleakala for sunrise, BTW. I'm sure it's amazing, but it's not like you won't have a great time if you don't get there until 9 or so. (Tends to cloud up -- vapor exchange -- around mid-day, and is only occasionally clear in the afternoon.)

E komo mai.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:09 AM

682 posts, read 2,793,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot? View Post
Agree about road to Hana -- it's just a narrow, curvy mountain road. I think what you're describing as "the road around the northeast end of Maui" is what we call "the back road to Hana."
Oh, no... I mean the road from Ka'anapali to Kahului, but the wrong way 'round. Really narrow & winding, ok views, but really not much to stop & see. No waterfall hikes or anything (unless we just totally missed out, which is possible of course).

We did the road to Hana, then 2 nights in Hana, then the back way out to upcountry where we stayed 2 more nights. I like the back road... a few more nice stops & hikes (aren't the Venus pool and Oheo gulch on that side of Hana?... do I remember wrong?). Plus, you end at Tedeschi winery. Nothing wrong with that!

The only thing if you do that road... be sure you get gas in Hana before heading out. We left before the gas station was open, and we almost didn't make it all the way to Kula.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:49 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
I wanna hear all about 'Buzzards Wharf'...... that had iced coffee coming out of my nose.....!!

Aloha from Buzzards...

Old 10-13-2011, 07:26 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,370 times
We took a waterfall hiking tour, and had a driver for the entire Road to Hana around the island. We think this was the way to go, because we could both look at scenery and not worry about driving.

Check out Hana Full-Day Waterfalls and Rain Forest Hike

Old 10-13-2011, 04:58 PM

Default Oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
Oh, no... I mean the road from Ka'anapali to Kahului, but the wrong way 'round. Really narrow & winding, ok views, but really not much to stop & see. No waterfall hikes or anything (unless we just totally missed out, which is possible of course).

We did the road to Hana, then 2 nights in Hana, then the back way out to upcountry where we stayed 2 more nights. I like the back road... a few more nice stops & hikes (aren't the Venus pool and Oheo gulch on that side of Hana?... do I remember wrong?). Plus, you end at Tedeschi winery. Nothing wrong with that!

The only thing if you do that road... be sure you get gas in Hana before heading out. We left before the gas station was open, and we almost didn't make it all the way to Kula.
The road from Ka'anapali to Wailuku is often called "the Kahakuloa road," named for the traditional Hawaiian village at about the halfway point. That's actually the northWEST part of Maui.

Yes, the Venus Pool and Oheo Gulch (and the other entrance to Haleakala National Park) and Lindbergh's burial place in Kipahulu are beyond Hana town. The food at the Ululpalakua general store across from Tedeschi is pretty yummy, too, as is Grandma's in Keokea.

In addition to plenty of gas, it's good to have some food and water in your car. If there's any kind of accident or fire, the roads can be closed for hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii