Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 12:26 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
What is interesting among workers using meth in Hawai'i is this, Hawaii's service economy and high cost of living puts workers at greater risk for meth use, said Dr. William Haning, a psychiatry professor at the University of Hawaii's John A. Burns School of Medicine. Employees from hotel workers to carpenters to restaurant staff have been known to become so-called "functional" users taking the drug in an effort to work longer, harder and multiple jobs.

"If you're doing mind-numbing, repetitive work, this enables you to overcome both the painful tedium of the boredom as well as increase concentration and safety," he said, noting the severe pitfalls including depression, hallucination and cardiac risk.
And yet, we STILL get those I have $4,000 in savings and I'm moving to Hawaii threads.

I guess they must get paid well if they can afford meth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 12:31 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,751,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Kaimuki already posted that link from September 2011 in this thread, back when it was started.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/21432436-post5.html
Your point? I used it to validate my opinion, not to kakaroach from kaimuki good points. Whats your motivation?

Old 08-17-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
And yet, we STILL get those I have $4,000 in savings and I'm moving to Hawaii threads.

I guess they must get paid well if they can afford meth.
Or maybe you can look at it as why are wages so low, that people have to work 2+ jobs and use drugs when tourism and corporate profits are at an all time high, even after taxes? Taxes on corporate america can't be to high?

Also we still get those 4,000 mth savings questions because most see Hawai'i as being part of the mainland and the 4,000 mth moving savings is almost reasonable for everywhere else on the mainland. Just what OD says. Another example of how Hawai'i is different.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 08-17-2014 at 12:53 PM..

Old 08-17-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Or maybe you can look at it as why are wages so low, that people have to work 2+ jobs and use drugs when tourism and corporate profits are at an all time high, even after taxes? Taxes on corporate america can't be to high?
They can MOVE if they don't like the rules.

Apparently there isn't a lack of people willing to take those jobs. If not, the wages would be higher.

It's called supply and demand.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
They can MOVE if they don't like the rules.

Apparently there isn't a lack of people willing to take those jobs. If not, the wages would be higher.

It's called supply and demand.
Its called we have you by your short hairs too lol. How much does supply and demand really have an effect on a limited work force? Hawai'i is limited. Im not justifying paying for laziness but comeon when your willing to pay a CEO approx 300x your average worker then obviously there is no lack of funds. What CEO works 300x harder then there labor workers? Its just greed whtviper.

The low wages are not "we" thinking but "i" thinking. Keep employees wages low and benefits low so investors can make more money.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:56 PM

Sigh - it isn't greed, it is because the average worker is "average".

You need to earn it - not have it handed to you.

Perhaps that "average" worker should have been more motivated early in life - focused on school and applied themselves. They need to ask themselves why they are "average" and not "above average" - rather than blaming everyone else.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Sigh - it isn't greed, it is because the average worker is "average".

You need to earn it - not have it handed to you.

Perhaps that "average" worker should have been more motivated early in life - focused on school and applied themselves. They need to ask themselves why they are "average" and not "above average" - rather than blaming everyone else.
Oh sigh- Class has it privilege, it has nothing to do with earning anything. To earn would assume one works harder then others or sweat equality to justify standing or wages? The 10% who owns 80% of all the wealth in our country, do they work harder then the 90% of all americans? Why are you not the 10% or 1% viper? Did you not study harder or work harder then the rest? I agree hard work and study are a major piece of success, but another major piece of success is having money to create opportunities. As the wealth gap increases the less likely the ideal of a self made millionare will be possible. With more people fighting

Old 08-17-2014, 02:55 PM

over less of the resources, the possibilites of real wealth success becomes less.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Oh sigh- Class has it privilege, it has nothing to do with earning anything. To earn would assume one works harder then others or sweat equality to justify standing or wages? The 10% who owns 80% of all the wealth in our country, do they work harder then the 90% of all americans? Why are you not the 10% or 1% viper? Did you not study harder or work harder then the rest? I agree hard work and study are a major piece of success, but another major piece of success is having money to create opportunities.
I'm not exactly sure what % I am. Perhaps there is an app for that.

I do know I grew up in a trailer park, put myself thru school, and worked harder than the average person. Because I wanted it.

I do know I own 4 homes in Hawaii and all you do is do the poor me act from Portland. You can resent success all you want but you should look at yourself in the mirror and understand why you never made it in life. Really.

You blame everyone else but you. Poor you.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:48 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quote:
Your point? I used it to validate my opinion, not to kakaroach from kaimuki good points. Whats your motivation?
My point is that answering a three year old question about the trend with the same three year old answer that has already been posted isn't really answering the question.

There's no question that meth has been, and still is a major issue in Hawai'i, as it is all over the country. There are some indications that overall use is continuing to trend downward, but it's hard to assess since there aren't any solid reports for 2013, and not much for 2012. Even the Hawai'i Meth Project and DOJ sites have nothing newer.

Hawaii Meth Project

What little information is available seems to indicate that meth labs are still on the decline in the US. DOJ reported about a 20% decline from 2011 to 2012. The State of Hawai'i has been diligent about reducing the supply of all the precursor chemicals and ingredients for meth cooking, especially pseudoephedrine, and it seems to have helped the effort. On the other hand, nothing can be inferred from those facts about usage, because the supply of cheap meth from Mexico via California has increased to fill the demand.

What makes meth such a big problem among poor people is that meth is both very cheap and very addictive. Maybe $5 to get high a couple of times, $20 to stay blasted for a couple of days, but unfortunately there's also a fairly good chance of becoming addicted the first time out. From then on a meth addiction is the modern day death of 1,000 cuts. People get into it primarily to escape from the misery of their poverty, but then they become more miserable as a result, but can't escape.

I find it an interesting comment on human nature that PSAs which emphasize the danger of meth seem to be counterproductive with young people, because danger connotes excitement and adventure to them. The PSAs that seem to be most effective at preventing meth "sampling" are the ones that emphasize the most disgusting aspects of meth addiction, like the black and rotting teeth of "meth mouth" and the open skin sores and scabs that heavy users develop. For kids, the "Ewwwwww" factor can be a powerful deterrent.

If I had kids today, I would be sure they took a good look at this remarkable series of mug shots, covering just 3 years in the life of a young meth addict.

Woman's 11th Mug Shot After Assaulting Her Grandma Shows Real Effects Of Meth Addiction (Photos)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: