Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 12:17 PM

270 posts, read 506,369 times

Advertisements

Japan earthquake and tsunami: 20m tons of debris closing in on Hawaii | Mail Online

Does anyone feel the trash will have any significant impact on Hawaii? Seems it is more to the north and may disperse ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 01:08 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
I live on the south end of the Big Island, and we already get a lot of trash off the ocean. I think it's due to the way the currents flow and the fact that we are on the south end of the southerly-most island. Anyway, we are part of an organization that schedules major trash pickup events quarterly; additionally we get together with friends to go down to a local bay monthly to pick up trash. We are all expecting that the debris from the tsunami will be washing ashore sometime in the next couple of years and so we will be prepared to see a lot more trash and larger debris. Not sure how we're going to handle the large items yet, since our only way to haul the stuff is in the back of someone's pickup truck.

What's really sad is that we also end up cleaning up after all the locals who like to camp by the water. Makes our work a lot harder.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I live on the south end of the Big Island, and we already get a lot of trash off the ocean. I think it's due to the way the currents flow and the fact that we are on the south end of the southerly-most island. Anyway, we are part of an organization that schedules major trash pickup events quarterly; additionally we get together with friends to go down to a local bay monthly to pick up trash. We are all expecting that the debris from the tsunami will be washing ashore sometime in the next couple of years and so we will be prepared to see a lot more trash and larger debris. Not sure how we're going to handle the large items yet, since our only way to haul the stuff is in the back of someone's pickup truck.

What's really sad is that we also end up cleaning up after all the locals who like to camp by the water. Makes our work a lot harder.

I once lived in a place, won't say where because they may read this, in which fake cameras were installed with blinking red lights to record violators that refused to always pick up animal wastes and tossed trash. A sign was posted asking if anyone really wanted their "15 minutes of fame" with faces plastered everywhere showing them leaving waste for others to pick up. It actually worked. Of course real cameras can be used but are expensive.
My favorite place of all, for this subject, was in Berlin Germany. Waste cans are everywhere at waist level on poles along sidewalks, and are emptied VERY regularly and never overflow! A city worker comes along and empties them from the BOTTOM since they have hinged releases that pop open to dump trash downward into a huge mobile trash cart vehicle that comes 3-4 times a day! I saw many times someone toss trash on the ground and immediately, the entire sidewalk STOPPED and stared/pointed at the person UNTIL they went back and picked UP the trash !! Never in my life have I seen anything like that ! The people DEMAND that each person exhibit responsibility! It sure does work! We MUST do that here too.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:13 AM

14 posts, read 33,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post

I totally agree. Japan should get involved somehow to clean up their mess. Either send crews to Hawaii to help out with the clean up or give the necessary funds to take care of it. Where you gonna put 10 mil+ tons of trash?

Old 10-25-2011, 09:36 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalena 1123 View Post
I totally agree. Japan should get involved somehow to clean up their mess. Either send crews to Hawaii to help out with the clean up or give the necessary funds to take care of it. Where you gonna put 10 mil+ tons of trash?
How are they supposed to clean up there mess? There still trying to pick up the pieces get there life back together and your asking them to clean up there mess? I can understand if its manmade , but this was a natural disaster.....

Old 10-25-2011, 09:44 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
How are they supposed to clean up there mess? There still trying to pick up the pieces get there life back together and your asking them to clean up there mess? I can understand if its manmade , but this was a natural disaster.....
I was thinking the same thing...

Northern Japan itself is still in shambles...debris everywhere and nuclear problems, and everything else.

I think the last thing they are thinking about is sending manpower and resources to Hawaii over it's much, much, much worse-off Tohoku areas that needs every bit of manpower and resources it can possibly get....

Old 10-25-2011, 09:59 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
True enough that Japan is still reeling from their disaster ... and yet, the nation is not poor ... what would be small funds to them, offered to certain Pacific ocean communities to sponsor beach clean ups would be huge funds to the communities affected.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I was thinking the same thing...

Northern Japan itself is still in shambles...debris everywhere and nuclear problems, and everything else.

I think the last thing they are thinking about is sending manpower and resources to Hawaii over it's much, much, much worse-off Tohoku areas that needs every bit of manpower and resources it can possibly get....

Give the refuse an island name, and maybe tourists will go there. Each will need their own inflatable raft and can stay only 2 days free. Ask them each to take a piece of Hawaii back with them? Aloha-ha-ha ...

Old 10-25-2011, 10:08 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Better yet: build rafts out of the junk ... it floats or it wouldn't cross the oceans, right? You think I jest? (Well, okay, maybe just a little) ... but consider the great Floating Neutrino Family and their [in]famous rafts around the world ... this one pictured is named: "Son of Town Hall" ... and Poppa Neutrino has traveled all over the oceans and rivers in various of his "creations"

Son of Town Hall

Floating Neutrinos - transforming lives, one triadic choice at a time. Raft Building, the new wave for the new Millennium

Old 10-25-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Better yet: build rafts out of the junk ... it floats or it wouldn't cross the oceans, right? You think I jest? (Well, okay, maybe just a little) ... but consider the great Floating Neutrino Family and their [in]famous rafts around the world ... this one pictured is named: "Son of Town Hall" ... and Poppa Neutrino has traveled all over the oceans and rivers in various of his "creations"

Son of Town Hall

Floating Neutrinos - transforming lives, one triadic choice at a time. Raft Building, the new wave for the new Millennium

Great idea ! Maybe name the new debris inspired entity: " Waterworld" . Instead of "Aloha", people can yell out "arrrgggg" ! like the pirates !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii