Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 09:32 AM

404 posts, read 1,250,482 times

Advertisements

Unless most visitors are partaking of the ills of Waikiki, their exposure to the street walkers on Kuhio Ave. should be fairly minimal since the majority of restaurants and hotel entertainment are on Kalakaua. Even on the main drag, as I recall, their were a couple of corners where late at night a few girls would congregate. As a former resident and distant-past visitor, I’m thinking most tourists are taking home memories quite different than your particular experience of living in Waikiki. It’s impossible to shoo away every thing that is unacceptable to some and make it disappear. It won’t kill you to be exposed to the realities of life, even if you’ve been shielded elsewhere, as long as you don’t feel at risk for bodily harm. You can be on the outside looking in and as long as you‘re not a participant then it really shouldn’t affect your daily life in a big way. I visited a town called Seaside, Florida a few years ago – it had a facade of perfection with pre-fab Victorian-style houses, one identical to the next except for the limited variance in exterior pastel colors allowed and each surrounded with the requisite white picket fence. I had a vision of southern belles, lily white skin protected by parasols and clad in antebellum attire, sipping iced tea ‘neath the shade of the perfect pagodas lining the seawall. I sensed that if anyone real, or someone who had a scroungy appearance with less than stellar blue-blood background were to appear all hell would break loose. Honestly, I found that to be the most lackluster place I’ve ever visited. I’ll take a little grittiness (and beauty) of a place like Waikiki over a whitewashed and hygienic fake town like Seaside any day but I guess that’s what makes horse races.

As far as homeless at the bus stops, maybe it’s changed but there used to be a stop on practically every corner so if there was someone whom one might consider a threat or bother, there were options to walk a block or so to another one. At least you aren’t subjected to the daily antics of the Hare Krishna’s who used to frequent Waikiki – they were a lot more visible and really used to harass the tourists…still, they were part of the scene back in the days, along with the gypsies and other characters. It’s not going away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 01:01 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,752,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I suppose there is some merit to the idea of giving the homeless a one way plane ticket back to the mainland. Since theyre broke they surely wont be able to return any time soon. But do you think the tax payers of Hawaii should foot that bill?
That would be illegal unless its part of a recognized repatriation program approved by the us governement. Otherwise its called dumping and is a major no-no. Hawaii does participate in an official repatriation program supported most;y through private funding. They have to have a homeless person with string connection to the mainland place they are going. Someone on that end has to sponsor the move such as family. And the receiving social service agency has to approve the relocating as not being a burden to them. If they pass all that, a combo or some public, some private and some sponsor funds will be used to purchase a ticket back to that place. It's not easy a process and lack of money or support on the other end can makes it difficult to do.

The feds monitor this type of activity and if they suspect dumping, they do take action. Its not pleasent for the state found dumping with huge fines. There was a report that other states were dumping on Hawaii but after a investigation byt he feds and the state and non-profit homeless advocate groups, they found no cases of dumping on Hawaii from other states.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:20 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,834,429 times
Earlier in this thread I posted, "What I always found interesting was how if the hookers were on the mauka side of Kalakaua they were left alone by the police. Although, IF they crossed over to the makai side, they were busted almost immediately!"
My wife just reminded of another interesting thing from the our time in Waikiki back in the 90's. Every night there would be tons of "working girls" up and down Kalakaua. However, on one night each week, can't exactly remember which one it was but we think it was either Monday or Tuesday night, instead of "working girls" on every corner, there were people preaching and handing out religious pamphlets. On that night each week, there were no "working girls" in sight! Back then we called it Jesus Night. To be honest, we found Jesus Night to be much more bothersome. Seems like the girls would only bother the single male tourists, yet the Jesus people irritated EVERYONE they could!

Old 11-12-2011, 01:28 PM

9 posts, read 16,732 times
to answer the first part of the question: the weather.

the second part: japanese tourism.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:41 PM

11 posts, read 34,696 times
I have to agree with you about the homeless situation and the working girls. I just got back from a trip for HI and my hotel was on the main strip. I also had issues with working girls coming up like they were going to talk to my husband. I live in Las Vegas and this would never be allowed. The working girls have to stay off the strip and usally hang out out of sight from the tourist. I am moving to Hawaii in a couple months and I hope they rreally start working on these issues.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:04 PM

49 posts, read 158,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms6769 View Post
I have to agree with you about the homeless situation and the working girls. I just got back from a trip for HI and my hotel was on the main strip. I also had issues with working girls coming up like they were going to talk to my husband. I live in Las Vegas and this would never be allowed. The working girls have to stay off the strip and usally hang out out of sight from the tourist. I am moving to Hawaii in a couple months and I hope they rreally start working on these issues.
I dont see the situation changing anytime, looks like there aren't strong laws against prostitution in Hawaii, If there are, the police doesn't care to do much about it.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:42 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,311,835 times
I live in Waikiki and it doesn't bother me. HPD is a good police force IMO and if the girls aren't ripping off anyone and staying cool then they aren't bothered. It's simple economics ... supply and demand. I wish we would legalize it already.

I'm not out late at night so I don't see all this drunk people at the bus stops. I guess if you're going to hang out late at night in the streets it's an expected side effect. Apparently it's not only a night concern.

Here's a recent link that talks about Hawaii's lack of vagrancy laws in simple terms and who is responsible for TheBus benches.

Article is "Not beds" by Matthew Kain.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...v3C3UIL1XuAMzQ

ohmanon, your statement about the Hare Krishna brought back memories. Back in the day we would pack off to Oahu and play on the weekends and I can still remember the chanting and dancing.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:11 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,880,462 times
Three words; cost of living.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennypal View Post
I dont see the situation changing anytime, looks like there aren't strong laws against prostitution in Hawaii, If there are, the police doesn't care to do much about it.
Well you need to look at the problem from different views, the police have nothing to do but arrest the girls. But for what huh? Just overnight? They'll be back in the street within 24 hours, unlike your ignorant view. I have seen some police officers trying to talk some girls into rehab, having nice conversations and turning blind eyes to them. You realize what is really happening. Plus you really should not be too worried about the homeless and prostitutes, many of them are struggling to survive like all of us. Plus they are normal people like us, if you saw them away from work in normal clothes you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii