Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 06:58 PM

52 posts, read 62,147 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone; I've been planning to relocate out west and for a while now I've been considering Hawaii. Anyhow.. I'm eligible for relocation with my job at Walmart selling electronics, and I want to ask a few questions.. I plan to take a week long trip to either Hawaii or California and check some things out but I don't wanna go to say.. Hawaii and end up realizing I wouldn't be able to afford it.

Anyhow.. I plan to move wherever I go with my job and get a one bedroom apartment, and most likely attend a local community college and advance in life.

I HAVE heard that due to Hawaii being islands, it is rather expensive to purchase well.. anything. Is this true? I want to relocate out West for sure soon, but I'm unsure whether or not Hawaii is affordable. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 07:03 PM

I would consider Hilo on the Big Island more than Oahu because I hear Oahu is extremely busy and annoying whereas in Hilo it isn't necessarily that way.. and Hilo may be less expensive.

Last edited by MetsNY1986; 11-10-2011 at 07:19 PM..

Old 11-10-2011, 07:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,970,754 times
Honolulu living expenses are comparable to the San Francisco Bay area and New York City with the added bonus of making less money than those cities.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:21 PM

So a move to Hilo or in the Honolulu area would be economical? I honestly am unsure whether or not to fly to California, fly to the Big Island, or Oahu to determine where I'm going to relocate to.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:24 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,970,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsNY1986 View Post
So a move to Hilo would be economical? I honestly am unsure whether or not to fly to California or to fly to the Big Island to determine where I'm going to relocate to.
Housing is less in Hilo than Honolulu but everything else is more expensive. And, you'll make a lot less money in Hilo than Honolulu.

You would really need to do some research on Hilo - it isn't for everyone. Very slow pace which is something you may or may not be looking for.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:27 PM

Well what i'm doing is.. I'm flying out to either Hawaii or California to check certain places out and determine where I want to move to. I've done my research, and in Hawaii, the living expenses are pretty close to the ones here. I'm just unsure where I want to go at this point. I'm sure that in Honolulu I'd enjoy the city environment and the weather for SURE, and according to you, make more money there.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:01 PM

7,371 posts, read 16,045,172 times
Big Mets fan here!

Living in HI is indeed very expensive and you may or may not fit into Hilo, which is really a small town atmosphere.
You can find out a lot just by browsing craigslist.
If your wages meet living expenses with a bit left over and you want an adventure, then go for it!
You're not likely to get rich there, but there's a lot of richness in living there.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:51 PM

3,198 posts, read 13,418,360 times
Here in Kona, a decent 1 BR furnished would run you about $900 + tax & some utilities. Unfurnished, actually about the same but maybe a little less. Yes, everything is more expensive pretty much.

You are going to be over 2500 miles away from the US - can you afford to visit your family "back home" as often as you might like? This is the major reason for new residents to return to the mainland.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:59 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,712,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsNY1986 View Post
Anyhow.. I'm eligible for relocation with my job at Walmart selling electronics,
Put the cards on thr table, what do you think based on current income that you would be making on transfering to Hawaii?

Old 11-10-2011, 09:31 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,090,289 times
If you already have a job, then the Puna district of the Big Island (Hilo) is probably the least expensive place to live in the state of Hawaii. I don't know how that would compare to California, it probably depends on which location is being compared to which location.

Can you look at the prices in Walmart in Hilo verses the prices of the Walmart you currently are working at? Wouldn't they be similar?

Hilo does have a community college as well as a university. It's a nice fairly slow town but it's not anything like busy Honolulu. If you want night life, excitement, tons of things to do and go and see 24/7/365, then you'd probably prefer Honolulu or California. If you want a nice comfortable town to live in and raise a family, Hilo is pretty comfortable. Not too good on the public education, but it doesn't sound like you have kids in tow anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii