Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 02:31 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,943 times

Advertisements

Wink, check out Dave Ramsey's book "The Total Money Makeover". If you can't afford to buy it, direct message me and I will mail you our old copy.

The Total Money Makeover

Old 11-14-2011, 02:35 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Can you catch rides to work? Make a lunch and take it to work instead of buying lunch? There are a whole slew of little things that can add up to a lot over the time span of a month.

We were having trouble with money at one point, but making a budget really helped. The other thing was putting the paychecks into an account that then transferred some over to the checking account and leaving some in savings. Oddly enough this seemed to have really helped get us out of the hole we were in. We would use up all the money in the checking account and sort of ignore the savings until or unless we really needed it. That let us gather up a little bit in savings each month. Try moving fifteen percent of your income off into savings and living off the rest. Even though there isn't enough somehow by thinking there's only a tiny bit left (ignoring the savings account) we were able to squeak by to the next paycheck. Not always, but often enough that the savings would mount up and we'd be able to use it to pay off a credit card or some other big payment.

Our mindset also changed. Instead of trying to figure out how to have enough money to buy this or that or do this or that, our mindset became how to pay down all the bills and things. It has now become a knee jerk reaction of - "is there any possible way to do this less expensively". Doesn't matter what it is.
I do bring my lunch to work and the only time I ever eat out is when I forget to. I don't go to bars or anything like that anymore either, which kind of sucks because I hardly get to see the few friends I have who still live on Maui (I can't afford the other activities they do like surfing either).

I don't have any extra money to put into savings... I come up short every month. I get $1060 each paycheck, and that's only since furloughs ended. Before that it was $980. $850 goes to rent, $130 goes to a student loan, $200 goes to credit card bills (that will go up), $160-200 to electric bill, $45 internet, $53 car insurance, $200 gas, and the rest goes to food. Sounds like I'm doing OK until you factor in auto repairs and other unforeseen expenses. Like I lost my glasses the other day and had to spend $250 for new ones. My alternator died, $450 down the drain. My radiator fan died, $250 gone. I don't need to plot down a budget, I know exactly what I spend.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:48 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
You spend up $200/month on electric in a small apartment and don't use AC?? That doesn't make any sense.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:48 PM

I'm going to stop taking pictures on the weekends, which will save about $100 in gas. It sucks because I think I'm actually getting good at it. But it's not like I can make a living from photography anyway. But those dumbass fauxtographers can, because they're perfectly willing to scam people who don't know any better into paying for their awful pictures. Anybody who's looked at ModelMayhem or the typical wedding album knows what I'm talking about.

That's what "paradise" is really about... giving up your hobbies because you can't afford them anymore. I'd love to be able to keep taking pictures and try things like surfing. But I can't. So what's the point of living on Maui?

Old 11-14-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
You spend up $200/month on electric in a small apartment and don't use AC?? That doesn't make any sense.
Yeah it doesn't make sense at all. Electricity is expensive here.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:56 PM

Now I have more bad news. My dental insurance only covers 60% of crowns, which I think I'll need on my aching tooth. Whatever happened to government workers having great benefits?

Old 11-14-2011, 07:24 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,532 times
Hi winkosmosis, sorry to hear about your troubles, I've been routing for you since I've seen your rants on this board. Ironically, when I was laid off, I tried to get into GIS work on Kaua'i, thinking it would be the next big thing. I love maps and data, but it's not my field, and I couldn't wing it. I ended up moving my family back to California with my savings and unemployment, and got another computer job. After a few years, they let me move back to Hawaii.

Given what you've written here, my first advice would be to get a different car, or learn to fix it yourself. Old American cars are junk, get horrible mileage and need so many repairs. Get the smallest import you can, a Toyota tercel, Hyundai Excel, whatever. Those get 30+ mpg and last forever (but you still gotta maintain them). But I realize you don't even have the money to do that (especially since I'm not sure about the resale value of your current car). I have seen too many old Buicks on Kaua'i with bald tires, and I know those are people in the same situation as you.

My second advice would be to move. Single guys with little money should be able to put up with roommates (not in your current place, which may violate the lease). Look for rooms for rent around your work, they have got to be less than what you're paying now. If no one has a house to share, start your own house share: if you do the work to find the house and the roomates, you could even live rent-free (take the least desireable room and charge the others enough to cover your share). Though that is risky because you're still responsible for the rent and utils if you don't find roomates. But if you can live within walking distance, or on a better bus route, you could go without a car for a month or two, long enough to sell yours and buy another one.

I know you said you don't have money to move, but maybe you can work it out. Give notice, find your roomate situation, and set it up for the last day of your old tenancy. Ask your landlord to do an immediate walk-through and give you your deposit back right away. If you're on good terms, that should be possible. Then you can take the check to your new landlord/roommates and move in. That assumes you can fit all your stuff in your car, or at least in a rented truck. Or if you belong to a church, see if there is a family that could host you for a month while you switch.

I agree, that electric bill is crazy, I pay less than that much in a house--and Kaua'i rates are supposed to be higher. You gotta open the windows and turn on the fans. Hang your laundry on a rack if you have eletric clothes dryer. Turn down the water heater. Or move: you're essentially paying $1050 for a small appartment, so I bet you could find one cheaper with utilities included.

Looking at your budget, there are ways to cut down. I only pay $35/mo for oceanic cable internet and I recall HT is the same--is it really $10 more across the board on Maui?

As for giving up hobbies, yeah, that's a bummer, but they're the first to go when you gotta scramble. I have a family and when I lost my job, no more hiking, etc. Still you need a break every now and then, but couldn't you just go to the nearest beach for a change? If you have a bike, go for a ride?

Another thought: if your hobby is photography all around the island, you must have some nice pictures. Instead of selling giclees to tourists from a pop-up tent, put them online. Create a blog, post your pictures every day, put advertising all around your website, and flog it online. I prefer not to see advertising around content, but if you have nice pictures, update frequently, people will read, and you can make some money that way.

I also did handyman work when I was unemployed. If you (and your car) are reliable, you can find work, especially in vacation rentals. If you don't have skills or tools, and your health doesn't allow yard work, is there any sort of hourly work you could do for $100/weekend?

Finally, consider moving to Oahu, where there are more jobs. Pay should be a bit higher, housing is more expensive but more available, and the Bus goes everywhere. Also, don't undersell yourself. A technician with experience can sometimes do the work of an analyst. Don't be dishonest, but get your foot in the door, then see what happens.

In the end, if you can't trim anything from your budget, you are going to have to give up some comforts. Whether that's housing, hobbies, or even Maui, it's up to you. But I suggest you try changing your car and your housing--those two could be improved to save money. Remember, as long as you're employed, you have a lot going for you and you still have a good chance at making it.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:45 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I spend about $100/mo commuting to work 10 miles. I get 16mpg. I was thinking about selling my Jeep and getting a tiny efficient car, but I could easily end up spending a lot fixing unforeseen problems with a car I don't know the maintenance history of.
That Jeep is a gas-guzzler. 16mpg?

I'd get a scooter or moped. At the miminum, a small fuel-efficient Japanese or Korean car.

Quote:
I don't have any extra money to put into savings... I come up short every month. I get $1060 each paycheck, and that's only since furloughs ended. Before that it was $980. $850 goes to rent, $130 goes to a student loan, $200 goes to credit card bills (that will go up), $160-200 to electric bill, $45 internet, $53 car insurance, $200 gas, and the rest goes to food. Sounds like I'm doing OK until you factor in auto repairs and other unforeseen expenses. Like I lost my glasses the other day and had to spend $250 for new ones. My alternator died, $450 down the drain. My radiator fan died, $250 gone. I don't need to plot down a budget, I know exactly what I spend.
$850, while good for Maui, seems like a lot to me.

Actually, reading your story, is what made me so stressed out when I tried to live in San Francisco. I'd do a room share. I never paid more than $600 in my life for rent. I lived in both NYC and SF, and had room share situations. I wouldn't have been able to afford it any other way.

Quote:
That's what "paradise" is really about... giving up your hobbies because you can't afford them anymore. I'd love to be able to keep taking pictures and try things like surfing. But I can't. So what's the point of living on Maui?
That's why a lot of people are leaving a lot of places - i.e. California as well.

I once lived in San Francisco for a year, I found that despite having a room share, I was spending a small fortune driving the car around. If you're driving around taking pictures at 16gpm, you're probably spending a small fortune on gas.

----

On the plus side, at least your employed by Maui County. It just sounds like you need to downsize your housing and car money-burners.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 11-14-2011 at 09:00 PM..

Old 11-14-2011, 08:44 PM

Since I'm still applying for jobs on the mainland, moving isn't really an option. The month-to-month with 2 month notice arrangement I have now is good for that.

Selling my Jeep to save $100/month in gas is probably what I'll do, but the $2500 I can get for it buys a much older small car. I might end up spending even more on maintenance... and squandering the stuff I've already done. My Jeep shouldn't need anything else for a long long time except tires, shocks, and an alignment.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:45 PM

I don't think a photo blog is worthwhile. Who the heck would view it enough to generate enough ad revenue?

I have a shop on Cafepress selling Texas bumper stickers and shirts. No one has bought a single thing from the shop, because no one knows about it and it doesn't show up in any search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii