Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 12:32 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times

Advertisements

No public places you can take quad tours. The whole taking tourists places thing is pretty tightly sewn up by regulations as well as other folks already doing it. You need a lot of permits and such since otherwise everyone would be dragging tourists everywhere and they want it regulated to keep the nice areas from being over run. Hanauma Bay being a case in point as well as Diamond Head crater. Those both used to be free, but too many tour buses were bringing tourists there that the areas were overwhelmed so now there is a charge to get in and there are folks trying to keep overuse from degrading the area.

You could put quad tours on private property, but then you'd have to buy the property and the neighbors still might complain enough to shut it down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 09:07 PM

406 posts, read 865,445 times
While you are acquiring more houses to make a "passive income", why not upgrade your pilots license too. Then you might be able to get work at one of the flight schools, or inter-island or charter operations. Possibly add a seaplane rating too. Then again, since you are a mechanic, you might look into getting an A/P rating and doing aircraft maintenance. Build 'em up to higher ratings as you go too. Rotary wings?

Yeah, yeah, I know more time and money.

But then anything to bring in more bucks!

Aaaahhhh, if only I were your age! At 73 about the only thing I could get into flying-wise would be either a sport pilot or private pilot license. Shoulda done it years ago!

Mickey

Old 11-25-2011, 07:26 PM

23 posts, read 29,246 times
Thanks Mickey! great advice that is all something i tossed around to do but yes more time and money im sure there is money to be had in aviation in HI however getting your foot in the door is another story!

Old 11-28-2011, 06:58 PM

75 posts, read 225,978 times
I don't have an answer for you (no one does but yourself), however, I did want to point out that motocross is more popular on Oahu than some places on the Mainland I've lived. Do a google for Kahuku Motocross Park. It seems to me there was a big motocross park somewhere around Mililani, but it may have closed a few years ago. There are plenty of motorcycle shops that cater to dirt bikes.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:42 AM

6 posts, read 8,061 times
Hi Ryan I did exactly what you are thinking back in 1987, and I`m still hear. Drink water, learn to cook, buy a surf or boggie board. the rest is easy. I`d say its not so much how much you make but how you spend it. I`t also helps to at least have one good friend to help you along the way.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:21 AM

236 posts, read 648,546 times
I like the idea of developing the pilot's license. There must be charter flights from island to island, etc. I also know one guy who went from a basic pilot's license to flying major airliner jets. Worth trying.

In terms of the houses, how much equity do you have, or plan on putting into the second one?

For now, I'd definitely visit first, see how you like it. Then, I'd look into buying a small place on Hawaii, as proposed, instead of a second house on the mainland. Rent it out, and let the tenant pay off the mortgage for a year or two. Save up a little more cash at home, and pay off your place there. After a year or two, you might be able to sell your mainland property and pay off your island property.

(It probably wouldn't be bad working for a year or two more if you knew you'd be relaxing in the sun soon, without having to worry much about rent.)

But ultimately, it appears you can survive on $15/hr ($30K) if you really want to -- you'd just have to live very simply, as noted. The more you save up, the more you can invest in housing, etc., that can then reduce your monthly nut long-term, and make life easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii