Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 12:34 PM

281 posts, read 256,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Well, Hawai'i is not for everyone!
You should probably stay where you are then, since Hawaii isn't for you.

My interest in Hawaii is not found on the islands themselves, but what surrounds them. I have no problems with Islanders or other Indigent people, from Maori to Tahitian to Abs to Samoans to Hawaiians. They all seem perfectly fine. However, as a Type A personality, their lifestyle isn't for me, nor is living "laid-back". Not my thing - horribly boring and a waste of time.

I was on a NZ Frigate once, and there was a Maori crewmember. He had a bit of a "savage" appearance, but when he started speaking in his Kiwi accent, I was floored. The accent and the face just didn't match. They were nice and accommodating, but the helicopter they used to move me from ship to ship, hanging beneath the helo on a wire, left a little to be desired. Only one vessel had a helo pad and the rest of the transfers were done "in harness". You can't beat the view, however!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 12:35 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,999,886 times
Gas is 2.80 in Denver, kinda crazy it's nearing close to double there

Old 01-26-2012, 12:48 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Angel View Post
My interest in Hawaii is not found on the islands themselves, but what surrounds them. I have no problems with Islanders or other Indigent people, from Maori to Tahitian to Abs to Samoans to Hawaiians. They all seem perfectly fine. However, as a Type A personality, their lifestyle isn't for me, nor is living "laid-back". Not my thing - horribly boring and a waste of time.
Nobody said that you and your "Type A personality" have to live any other way than the way you choose to live where you are. However, why would you want to come to Hawai'i and change how other people choose to live?
(I am just curious, not trying to insult you in anyway.)

Old 01-26-2012, 12:57 PM

21 posts, read 58,521 times
Default Interesting read...

Type A Behavior: Its Diagnosis and Treatment, By Meyer Friedman.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:56 PM

11 posts, read 20,122 times
back to the original poster question..??

so, if I am in South Point ... Ka'u ... and I want to make some Thai curries.. or some fajitas.. or even poi (yes, we've made it in Mississippi and liked it!).. maybe wanted to make some Japanese curry or fried rice..

given that we would have to go to Kona or Hilo, would we be able to find the spices and ingrediants to make these??

i would have to think we could find everything except maybe the fresh and very specific ingrediants like Thai basil or lemongrass but if i could reassure my husband that we (he) could still cook all of his favorites if we moved there, that would be a load off

Old 01-26-2012, 02:56 PM

281 posts, read 256,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Nobody said that you and your "Type A personality" have to live any other way than the way you choose to live where you are. However, why would you want to come to Hawai'i and change how other people choose to live?
(I am just curious, not trying to insult you in anyway.)
Where would you get the idea I want to change the way they live. I advocate for standards in a competitive arena of ideas only.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:15 PM

431 posts, read 939,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideyed.karen View Post
back to the original poster question..??

so, if I am in South Point ... Ka'u ... and I want to make some Thai curries.. or some fajitas.. or even poi (yes, we've made it in Mississippi and liked it!).. maybe wanted to make some Japanese curry or fried rice..

given that we would have to go to Kona or Hilo, would we be able to find the spices and ingrediants to make these??

i would have to think we could find everything except maybe the fresh and very specific ingrediants like Thai basil or lemongrass but if i could reassure my husband that we (he) could still cook all of his favorites if we moved there, that would be a load off
Better yet---you can grow your own Thai basil and lemongrass. Very easy to grow, even in containers. I grow all my herbs in containers, actually, and have had great success with them. You can freeze or dry most herbs when you have an excess, too. I have containers of pesto in my freezer thanks to a very happy sweet basil plant that has been going for years.
I just picked six heads of Manoa lettuce that I grew in a windowbox planter. Picked fresh, washed and trimmed, and stored in ziplocs they will last for weeks in the fridge.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:39 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideyed.karen View Post

With about 1/3 of the population being of Asian descent, finding Asian food items on the Big Island is not hard. KTA Supermarkets has 2 locations in Hilo, 1 in Kona. The founders were Japanese, and these stores carry an abundance of Asian specialty foods, not just Japanese, but Chinese, Korean, Filipino, etc. as well as Asian cookware and housewares.

Also two more Asian markets I've shopped at in Hilo are Kilauea Market and TNT Seafood and Imports.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
Better yet---you can grow your own Thai basil and lemongrass. Very easy to grow, even in containers. I grow all my herbs in containers, actually, and have had great success with them. You can freeze or dry most herbs when you have an excess, too. I have containers of pesto in my freezer thanks to a very happy sweet basil plant that has been going for years.
I just picked six heads of Manoa lettuce that I grew in a windowbox planter. Picked fresh, washed and trimmed, and stored in ziplocs they will last for weeks in the fridge.
we would love to grow our own!! we just weren't sure we'd be allowed. we're not very clear yet on what seeds or plants are available already or are allowed to be brought onto the island. we know there's a lot of rule for island life that we don't even think about but we had heard there is a very strict guideline for bringing in plants since they have been shown to spread out of control. we don't want to be the jerks who ruin an ecosystem ha!

this is great tho. the house we are looking at already has a small "greenhouse" structure built for beginning plants.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
With about 1/3 of the population being of Asian descent, finding Asian food items on the Big Island is not hard. KTA Supermarkets has 2 locations in Hilo, 1 in Kona. The founders were Japanese, and these stores carry an abundance of Asian specialty foods, not just Japanese, but Chinese, Korean, Filipino, etc. as well as Asian cookware and housewares.

Also two more Asian markets I've shopped at in Hilo are Kilauea Market and TNT Seafood and Imports.
i figured there HAD to be Asian markets somewhere thanks for the specifics tho!! exactly what i was wanting to hear
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii