Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 10:58 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,903,890 times

Advertisements

In Waikiki's International Marketplace? Sheesh! Little buggers ...

More tiny coqui frogs showing up in Hawaii, creating menace as population explodes - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/more-tiny-coqui-frogs-showing-up-in-hawaii-creating-menace-as-population-explodes/2011/12/24/gIQA8V8gFP_story.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 05:38 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
They've already written the Big Island off. Should coqui start becoming prevalent on Oahu, I'll bet they figure out an easier way to get rid of them than one by one and by humans doing it. Some sort of predator which only eats frogs (a frog virus?) might be the answer.

For your own areas, as soon as you hear ONE frog - go kill it. Kill it immediately and don't wait. Once they become established, they are almost impossible to eradicate. I don't know of any area that "used" to have coqui frogs. One frog calling is kinda cute but they don't stop at one and the frogs here grow to twice or thrice as big as they do in their native states so I'm guessing their call is about twice or thrice as loud, too. Once they are established, you aren't going to be sleeping as well at night, that's for sure. Especially if your house has landscaping near the house.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:59 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,903,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
They've already written the Big Island off. Should coqui start becoming prevalent on Oahu, I'll bet they figure out an easier way to get rid of them than one by one and by humans doing it. Some sort of predator which only eats frogs (a frog virus?) might be the answer.

For your own areas, as soon as you hear ONE frog - go kill it. Kill it immediately and don't wait. Once they become established, they are almost impossible to eradicate. I don't know of any area that "used" to have coqui frogs. One frog calling is kinda cute but they don't stop at one and the frogs here grow to twice or thrice as big as they do in their native states so I'm guessing their call is about twice or thrice as loud, too. Once they are established, you aren't going to be sleeping as well at night, that's for sure. Especially if your house has landscaping near the house.
Heh ... tempting the "Law of Unintended Consequences", huh? That's how the mongoose got here, if you recall ... reminds me of the children's song: "There was an old lady who swallowed a fly."
There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly Lyrics & Music at BusSongs.com

Old 12-24-2011, 08:16 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
I don't know how anyone sleeps around Hilo with those darn frogs - they are LOUD!

Old 12-25-2011, 03:03 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
ear plugs, my friend, ear plugs. The silence of the night is long gone in Hilo town.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:37 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I don't know how anyone sleeps around Hilo with those darn frogs - they are LOUD!
Double-paned (or triple-paned) windows, lack of foliage within 50 feet of the residence, and the occasional culling of the ones that possess "undesirable" characteristics (eg. boldness and stupidity).

Old 12-25-2011, 05:47 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,516,812 times
They don't like cooler temps. At around 62 to 63 degrees, they get quiet.
The higher in elevation you are, the less likely to have a coqui issue.
We recently moved from 350 to 850 ft elevation and the quiet at night is certainly welcome.

The new place also has zero vegetation around the house and the house is insulated, plus has decent windows. It really makes a difference.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:23 PM

270 posts, read 506,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

TSA and Homeland Paranoia, "think" ( a real task) that these are disguised Teeny-Tiny terrorists trying to make people 'croak' , by sleep deprivation techniques. This "Al-Ricket-Ricket" cell has leaped to the conclusion that
no natural predator is around to stop them. However, Kermit and Spider man have teamed up, to lace flies with arsenic to poison the tongue lashing little devils. EPA and PETA objected, so "Small World After ALL, Surf Boards" manufactured a few thousand to lure them into catching that "next big wave" on the north shore. When last seen, several thousands were riding out towards Southern California singing " California Dreaming" and smoking weed.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:57 PM

17 posts, read 32,102 times
Hmmmmm-
Balance of nature. What does the frog eat? Bugs. What kind of bugs? Suppose the more frogs there are, the less ants and mosquitos that will around 'bugging' you? We have a different tree frog, but have noticed that the years that the sound of them coming from the forest, the less mosquitos we have. Just a thought.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:09 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,214,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauibeachbum View Post
Hmmmmm-
Balance of nature. What does the frog eat? Bugs. What kind of bugs? Suppose the more frogs there are, the less ants and mosquitos that will around 'bugging' you? We have a different tree frog, but have noticed that the years that the sound of them coming from the forest, the less mosquitos we have. Just a thought.
They are out of the balance of nature. They are an invasive species, introduced from puerto Rico. Without any natural predator within the ecosystem, they really aren't part of nature's balancing act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii