Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 06:08 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,298,687 times

Advertisements

Most interesting employment you've had in Hawaii?

Who did you work for? What kind of work did they do there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 09:24 PM

181 posts, read 587,457 times
Bicycle rickshaw taxi driver in Waikiki 1975. Rented the thing for $5.00 a day and brought home between $60 and $80 a day. Not bad money back then.

The season started in November and went through February. Just not enough free spending tourists during the spring and summer to make it worthwhile.

Had such a great time that I worked every day for over 3 months. The money was good, but the girls from the mainland were even better. ("Wow, you mean you live here?")

Old 01-03-2012, 09:26 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,603,614 times
only 3 industries in hawaii
tourism
military
welfare
farming is gone

Old 01-03-2012, 10:08 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,114,901 times
Yeah, pedicabbing was fun! Did that for awhile in '79 or so. There was a place to rent pedicabs (bicycle rickshaws) under Buzz's steakhouse over by the post office in Waikiki. Pay them a set fee each week for the use of the pedicab and everything else was what the market would bear.

Drove a trolley in the late nineties, although the money wasn't very good. I think it was somewhere around $10 an hour and the tips weren't real good on the routes I had since they were 100% Japanese tourists and they'd already (presumably) paid the tips when they got their trolley card. Not that I ever saw any of the tips but maybe the company got some extra. Same with the tour bus drivers. Used to be they'd get the kickbacks directly from the places they took the tourists to, but then the company started getting the kickbacks sent directly to the office so a lot less money for the drivers.

Did art for a sign company for awhile, that was fun until the company tried to go big time and folded instead. Little companies who try to grow quickly do that occasionally.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:13 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,591,685 times
Worked on Richard Pryors house out in Hana in the late 70s. Harry Hasegawa would normally get advance notice of Pryors arrival, and would have the store thoroughly stocked with all the essentials for a non-stop party in Hana town. Needless to say, when Mr. Pryor showed up, the work on his house kind of came to a halt. Man, those WERE the days..

Aloha and okoledakine

Old 01-04-2012, 12:28 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,399,426 times
Hi Everybody! Ha'ouli Makahiki Hou!
I worked on the Captain Cook VII selling pearls in the oyster.

It was a great adventure. I loved it. I like working with tourists and it was great to be on the ocean every day. We always saw the dolphins. Much simpler times.

Wow Jungjohann! I saw Richard Pryor once in one of the nightclubs. Danced right next to him. He was very friendly. People were polite and gave him his space, but he was laughing and talking to us like we were all at his house partying.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:07 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,542,392 times
Well, I only had one job while I lived in Hawaii. I did work on airports for an architecture firm. The cool thing about it is my clients were the Federated States of Micronesia, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Palau, Commonweath of the Northern Mariana Islands, and Guam....and also various airports throughout Hawaii (Kalaupapa was an awesome one to go to) I traveled throughout the Pacific pretty often - always fun to cross the International Date Line. My favorite of all the places I traveled was Saipan... I plan on going back some day!

Old 01-04-2012, 09:59 AM

674 posts, read 1,462,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
only 3 industries in hawaii
tourism
military
welfare
farming is gone
That's not necessarily true.

I know a few people who moved to Hawaii and secured jobs in the farming industry. May not be like it once was, but truth be told that's how farming is everywhere in the nation.

County/civil employment is a veritable industry as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: