Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 06:47 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
The numbers are in.

In 2011 I paid $433 in union dues, $2148 for the pension, $1473 health insurance. That's a total of $4054 in costs that private sector workers don't have to pay.
Sounds great to me! I am self-employed and have to pay way more than that and get less back for my money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 06:51 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Sounds great to me! I am self-employed and have to pay way more than that and get less back for my money.
Really? Because we get nothing in exchange for those union dues. We're worse off than federal employees and they aren't allowed to unionize. HGEA is worthless.

The pension doesn't benefit me at all. When I cash it in once I quit, I'll have to pay extra taxes on it. Plus it's money I could have really used to pay bills. I really wish we could opt out. My health insurance is good, but in Hawaii it costs private sector employees nothing or virtually nothing.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 01-19-2012 at 07:14 PM..

Old 01-19-2012, 09:00 PM

102 posts, read 171,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhaole View Post
You have to be prepared for some hostility on part of local Hawaiians, especially if you are of Caucasian race. Search internet for keywords such as "Racism in Hawaii" and read that info. Don't be surprised to see sign such as "House for Sale. Sorry, no whites please", especially on other islands than Oahu. If you have white children, expect them to have rough time at school, unless you can afford some expensive private schools for them. Note, their top Kamehameha private Schools are closed to non-locals. Search for Kamehameha Schools website if in doubt.
"No whites please"? Please. Where?

Old 01-20-2012, 05:47 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
Is it true that teachers have to wait 6-8 weeks for their first paycheck?

Life in Hawaii is Not All Sunshine and Surfing Why Do so Many People Leave Hawaii? - eTurboNews.com

Old 01-20-2012, 06:28 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Is it true that teachers have to wait 6-8 weeks for their first paycheck?

Life in Hawaii is Not All Sunshine and Surfing Why Do so Many People Leave Hawaii? - eTurboNews.com
That article should be required reading for anyone thinking about moving to Hawaii. As someone who participates in the exit interview process when people leave my company to go back to the mainland I hear all the sob stories and how it wasn't like anything they anticipated.

And for all you posters - many of which who don't live in Hawaii - and then recommend, yeah - go for the move otherwise you'll regret it without understanding the harsh realities of living here I tell you this - I always end the exit interviews with this question, are you glad you did it (the move) - overwhelmingly, the answer is NO. They are now broke - blew thru all their savings - and then often had to borrow money to move back to the mainland. I more often find them bitter about the experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii