Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 01:29 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times

Advertisements

We see quite frankly a lot of 1 post and done - or other silly posts about moving to Hawaii when its clear that would be a recipe for disaster. Usually it is keyword dream, drawn, 10K savings, cold weather, can I, from the UK or NZ, I program, live in Canada, sell insurance, I'm 20, etc....

But, I saw a post reply from pacificflights about specialized skills - and one he said was Tanks.

It got me thinking - can you negotiate with the recruiting office to be stationed in Hawaii - and is this a viable way to get to Hawaii subsidized?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 02:57 AM

270 posts, read 506,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
We see quite frankly a lot of 1 post and done - or other silly posts about moving to Hawaii when its clear that would be a recipe for disaster. Usually it is keyword dream, drawn, 10K savings, cold weather, can I, from the UK or NZ, I program, live in Canada, sell insurance, I'm 20, etc....

But, I saw a post reply from pacificflights about specialized skills - and one he said was Tanks.

It got me thinking - can you negotiate with the recruiting office to be stationed in Hawaii - and is this a viable way to get to Hawaii subsidized?

Recruiting in any branch, with those represented in Oahu, could tell a NEW person a lot (of BS) that may never reach fruition, after entry. Whether NEW or IN active duty status already, assignments are based typically upon service branch positions available for a given skill set; aka MOS -Army, or, AFSC-Air Force, Navy, Marines or Coast Guard. "Available" is based upon slated departures/needs in future time frames and perhaps go to even more urgent needs elsewhere, worldwide. That said, the individual branches maintain personnel allocations centrally and not via recruiting offices. Recruiters are themselves "special duty" assignments, subsequent to a specific selection process and training criteria, from service branch volunteers, meeting whatever selection guidelines exist in a specific branch. Those volunteers are from specialties already on duty, in other jobs/capacities in which they were originally trained to perform. Too, service branches have even more specifics to select location assignments on many "command" levels, and classification/classified reasons. At some point, there MAY be a possibility to obtain a desired posting, but, not necessarily a guarantee. In part, that may be refined in a much higher rank, but still not a guarantee but in the most specific of needs, by the service. In a word: complicated. Exceptions are always potentially a way, say, in "needs" for certain medical or technical skills. A bad example is asking for duty at a location as an Air Traffic Controller when there isn't any air traffic or runway. Or a Navy CPO at White Sands New Mexico, unless he/she is an instructor at some specialized training mandate at that location. Too many variables to lay out here. Simply stated, NO, asking for Hawaii is not a guarantee to get the assignment, on the request alone. Further, widely used skills that are needed everywhere, may increase odds of an assignment, such as some administrative, personnel, and types of equipment maintenance, or contracting.
Yes, once an assignment is made, the service will get you, and family if applicable / eligible for an accompanied tour, to that location, with housing or monetary allowance subsidy to obtain same "on the economy".

Old 01-19-2012, 04:08 AM

52 posts, read 108,899 times
I know that in the Army you can request it when you re-enlist. That is how I got over here originally. Sooo maybe tough it out at you first duty station if it isn't Hawai'i, then re-up to get over to Hawai'i! Disclaimer not all jobs/services will let you do that. Often times you need a slot to open before you get over here...but if the Army wants to keep ya, they'll try to make ya happy with your re-up request.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:55 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,349,032 times
Actually, there was once a 'station of choice' option for Army for initial enlistees

If it's still offered and you get it, you will get an MOS (skill) assigned according to the needs of the Army, and attend training for that skill, but are then guaranteed a first assignment to your selected duty location (as long as there are valid slots there).

There are two dangers:

the first is that you get a skill you have no interest in (say, cook), because they can use you to fill difficult-to-fill slots (you got what you wanted, Hawaii, right?)

the second is that you will go and spend 18 out of 36 months (36 months is a 'normal' tour to Hawaii) deployed to Afghanistan. They don't promise a full tour physically living at a location; they promise a tour stationed there, and needs of the Army may mean you deploy; you won't get the full time as hangin' on the beach.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:06 AM

18,389 posts, read 19,023,642 times
the military will send you where they need you. you requesting a place is just that a request. is moving to hawaii through the military worth the chance of being deployed to a war zone or hostile area? you should move to hawaii on your own terms, stay as long as you like to. with the military you will have to transfer out once you get settled. that is if they give it to you to begin with.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:26 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Quote:
"Tanks" in CDL means tankers, Just like Kneelers in aviation doesn't mean kneeling down as if praying but refers to Antonov aircrafts.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:41 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
"Tanks" in CDL means tankers, Just like Kneelers in aviation doesn't mean kneeling down as if praying but refers to Antonov aircrafts.
Darn - Tanks - meaning tanks with big guns seemed much more specialized.....

Old 01-19-2012, 09:48 AM

219 posts, read 497,319 times
I don't understand folks that sign up for the military based on the benefits the military offers but go nuts when they actually have to see combat. I mean WTH is going on in those minds, did it not occur to them they may actually have to fight? Isn't that the primary goal of the military? There is always the chance you will deploy and risk your life, that's why the benefits are what they are.

Case in point, 2 local good ol boys sign up for service. 1 navy, 1 marine and both got discharged before seeing any combat although they were ordered to. The naval boy was dishonorably discharged for supposedly being high and drunk enough to run his car off the pier into the ship he was supposed to board en route to the Middle East. The marine got section 8 for "getting religion" after his orders were delivered.

The very folks you want to discourage from moving to Hawaii are the same ones that will buy this new idea: "I can sign up for the military and get a free move to Hawaii!"

Old 01-19-2012, 12:20 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,565 times
Quote:
Even if you get a "guaranteed" contract, in writing, the military needs always come first. They can and will make that piece of paper completely worthless if they want to. I know, because it happened to me.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:45 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,030,720 times
Join the Coast Guard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii