Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 04:09 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,264 times

Advertisements

Road names are confusing enough. If I could just figure out those dang mile markers around the Big Island ......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 11:20 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Road names are confusing enough. If I could just figure out those dang mile markers around the Big Island ......
The mile markers are kinda simple if one knows where the highways begin. For instance, the main "circle island" highways (Highway 11 and Highway 19) start in Hilo and the mile markers roughly indicate the distance "out from Hilo."

Old 02-05-2012, 12:06 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
It's all good going into and out of Hilo, but when heading into Kailua, it's more difficult since you have to know what the end number of the mile markers are and count down from there. Too bad we don't have two mile markers at each mile, one for the distance to Hilo and one for the distance to Kailua.

It's over 100 miles between Hilo and Kailua so there is even a sign which points to somewhere that's over 100 miles away. That's in Kailua and points to Hilo, but I can't think if there's a reciprocal sign in Hilo pointing to Kailua?

Hey, Zepheus, how about starting something like a yard service business? That should start somewhere around $10 an hour and work up pretty quickly to $15 per hour once folks notice you work hard. A small trailer to tow behind a small car might be an inexpensive way to start. You'd need a good lawn mower (a riding mower would be nice, but a push mower will get you started), a good weedwhacker, some pruning shears, a chain saw, a few rakes, shovel, machetes, etc., and that should be enough to get started. Lawns grow year round around here so it is a year round business. Stash all that into a nice small trailer and then you'd be able to use your car without the trailer for your own use and take the trailer when you were working.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:13 PM

820 posts, read 3,034,996 times
Good suggestion. I swear, any business that has someone with real talent and who actually just returns calls and shows up when they say they will... that person's name would get around quickly.

So many people post about whether they can be a handyman here...sure, but if you are like the other 90% of the clowns who either don't know what they are doing or don't show up, then no.

At the risk of slightly derailing the thread...

Another thing we've noticed is that there are definitely companies here where we'd much rather be the customer than a vendor. For example, I'm a customer at a day spa, an expensive and seemingly thriving place. Had the opportunity to bid & quote on a project for them. Wow, they were awful. Rude, dismissive, had me standing in the waiting room while the manager (without permission) pawed through my bag I had set on the counter. I withdrew my bid, as I'd rather be on the good side of the desk. So I think the work/worker transaction can use sometimes need improvement both sides.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 707 times
"Outside of that, any positive tips or advice would be welcomed, please no negativity. I am aware of all the cons that people seem to throw at people looking to relocate... trust me I'm a very detailed oriented in my decision making process, and have weighed them all myself."
I just have always hated statements like those. Posters apparently are required to guess, re-guess and mind-read as to what the OP considers to be negativity.
Maybe you're aware of all the cons, maybe you're not, people have to guess that too.
Maybe you're very detailed oriented, maybe you're not, people have to guess that as well.
It's kinda like saying, "I wanna jump off this bridge I've never been to, using a bungee cord, and I'm very detail oriented in my decision making process. No negativity, please."
So, nobody reminds you to check the bungee cord for like cracks or whatever, nobody tells you it's a privately-owned bridge and the owners are vigilant, nobody says anything about the hobby-sniper thousand yards away, scope focused on your bungee cord. No negativity please. BTW, I've read many of hotzcatz' postings and she's probably THE MOST helpful poster I've seen so far.
Just cuz you don't like what you hear doesn't make it "negative." It just may mean "helpful." Or tell you something you didn't already know. Nobody goes through life never learning anything they didn't know before.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:37 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
*blush* Gee, thanks, Javalovr! That is a very kind assessment!

Zeph was just a tiny bit grumpy earlier but things are all jolly now. I think we just lacked a tone of voice in our posts was all.

You are right about how things can be mis-perceived as well as not understood even though we all use the same words. I think perhaps because we are all viewing the world from different perspectives. Even though we are all looking at the same things, we keep seeing them from different angles. Which is a good thing, our friends can tell us about the sharp teeth on the other side that we can't see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii