Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 08:18 PM

69 posts, read 268,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
They just want to know where to send the final bill - give them the address of a relative or a friend until you find a more permanent address.

Good idea. Ok that makes sense for the utilities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 06:41 PM

69 posts, read 268,831 times
How long does it take to open a BOH account?

I was going through the process and they need employer information. This week will be my last job at my current employer. Next week I have orientation with my new company locally, then start in Hawaii the week of the 27th.

I am worried putting my current employer might be a problem since I'm only going to work there another 5 days....
I am thinking I should just wait til I start my new employer to open an account.

I read somewhere it might take 10 days... or is it shorter as long as they can verify your information?

Last edited by relocater2HI78; 02-12-2012 at 06:52 PM..

Old 02-12-2012, 06:58 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocater2HI78 View Post

I was going through the process and they need employer information. This week will be my last job at my current employer. Next week I have orientation with my new company locally, then start in Hawaii the week of the 27th.

I am worried putting my current employer might be a problem since I'm only going to work there another 5 days....
I am thinking I should just wait til I start my new employer to open an account.

I read somewhere it might take 10 days... or is it shorter as long as they can verify your information?
It'll probably take 10 days for the first deposited checks to clear. If you need to write checks right away - deposit cash when you get to Hawaii - they will give you checks at the branch to write against that balance immediately.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:30 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
It takes about 15 minutes. But then it takes a month to get past the new-account restrictions.

Quote:
Maybe you should stop "thinking" and just take the advice you asked for. The bank asks for employer info, but does not verify it. Put down the new one if that makes you feel better.

Quote:
I read somewhere it might take 10 days...
Yes, you read it here... several of us have said it. Deposits to a new account can take 10 BUSINESS DAYS to clear before the money is available to you.

Quote:
or is it shorter as long as they can verify your information?
Nope. You are still going to have restrictions for the first month no matter what you do. That's why you want to get that clock ticking NOW. And if you want to have your payroll paid by direct deposit (if your employer offers it) you will need the checking account info to set it up.

Last edited by OpenD; 02-12-2012 at 09:37 PM..

Old 06-24-2012, 01:42 PM

10 posts, read 31,809 times
I opened up a American Savings Bank account with no problem. I was staying at a temporary place and so they used our Georgia address until we found a place. I deposited money to open it and had it transferred from my bank in Georgia. Later I had my job deposit my check. The bank did not need a local address or a HI driver's license.

By the way BOH charges for online bill pay. American and First Hawaiian banks do not. That is why we choose American Savings (plus it is right next to my job and has lots of ATMs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii