Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 05:32 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times

Advertisements

Precisely, PacificFlights! If they can cook a mean dish of shrimp, they should supply a catering business or maybe run a shrimp truck. They need to focus on the cooking of shrimp, not running a restaurant. If they can take pictures, they should be out there taking pictures and not trying to have a full on photography business. Work with one client at a time, provide them with the pictures they need and skip the rest. Loving beer and figuring out how to brew a great beer and providing it to a bar might be an option for the person with a passion for beer. They need to focus on what they do great and skip the rest of the being in business part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 06:17 PM

393 posts, read 1,114,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
I think its the opposite. I think a lot of people have a skill or knowledge about something and think they can do it as a business. Just cause a person can cook a mean dish of shrimp don;t mean they can run a shrimp resturant. Just cause somene can take pictures, don;t mean they can run a photography business. Just cause a person loves beer don't mean they can run a bar. i know lots o folks that know things and are really smart at what they do, but they probably suck as a businessman cause all they know is how to do that job, not how to run the bsuiness side of things. They are darn good owrkers and smart as a whip on doing their skilled job, but will screw the pooch big time if it was a business they needed to run.
Yeah, according to my Photo Studio Management professor, studio photographers average 2 days of non-photography work for every day of paying photography work. That goes back to what I said about doing mundane tasks all day. The biggest part of running a business is the paperwork, from taxes and bookkeeping to advertising and stocking supplies, besides repairs and upkeep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii