Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 04:01 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers Creepers View Post
From LA Times Jan 31, 2012:

"To help draw new visitors, Hawaii's tourism authority spent about $6 million in 2011 to help airlines research and promote the most profitable routes to Hawaii. That is an increase from the $5 million the agency spent on airline routes in 2010 ".

Can anyone clarify what this is supposed to mean? Yes, I read it, but, HOW does "spending" 6 million "help airlines research and promote"...? First, airlines KNOW where Hawaii is located. "Profitable routes"? You FLY from where people want to depart FROM, to: Hawaii. Do they need an incentive additional to their profits IF they DO that? How does Hawaii using 6 million "help airlines"? WHY? Does Hawaii receive MORE BACK than the logical tourism dollars gotten when people come? So, airlines MAKE flight profits, and, Hawaii makes visitors' profits, the typical way ! WHY a NEED to spend 6 million MORE to achieve the OBVIOUS conclusions stated, by BOTH parties to DO it? Does Detroit receive a Federal or State huge sum to determine the "research and promote" aspect of building CARS? The point in this seems LUDICROUS, and money would have been better spent IN Hawaii on infrastructure and appeal to tourists that DO come! And, residents there already needing UPKEEP of crumbling all around the locations. If the money was a bribe or kickback to airlines, WHY? Capitalism operates on a free choice profit motive. GIVING tax money to private businesses that can function on their own dime, is wrong.
For fiscal year 2012, the Hawaiʻi Tourism Authority (HTA) has a total budget of approximately $75 million, so spending $6 million to "help airlines research and promote the most profitable routes to Hawaiʻi" is a mere "drop in the bucket." Most of that $6 million will go to something like the "Jonah K Consulting Group, Inc." With that money, I'll provide employment for at least 25 people in Hawaiʻi who will most likely be friends and relatives of the local politicos that provided the funding. For the most part, these Hawaiʻi-based employees aren't going do much, except occasionally present the research results to the government, airlines, and assorted media outlets as well as lobby for more funding. And, their salaries will consume about $1.6 million. Another $400K will be used to hire 100 people in the Philippines where the real work of designing surveys, collecting data, crunching numbers, interpreting the data, publishing the results, etc. will be done. As the CEO of "Jonah K Consulting Group, Inc.," I'll take a salary of $300K. Office leases, equipment, supplies, travel expenses, etc. will consume another $1.5 million. Another $1.5 million will go back to the local politicos in the form of "campaign contributions" and "political action committees." And, the remaining $700K or so will be used to entertain and provide gifts for airline industry executives. Thus, that $6 million will provide jobs for at least 126 people and help to benefit the economies of both Hawaiʻi and the Philippines. Of course, the HTA could've simply had a couple of their in-house employees do the research and reports as part of their normal duties; however, that makes too much fiscal sense and doesn't provide enough jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 05:21 PM

82 posts, read 205,408 times
There is a reason we are known as the Chicago of the Pacific. Our politicians, appointed officials, and businessmen would run circles around them......

Old 02-25-2012, 05:42 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Of course, the HTA could've simply had a couple of their in-house employees do the research and reports as part of their normal duties; however, that makes too much fiscal sense and doesn't provide enough jobs.
As usefual, your inciteful analysis cuts to the heart of the matter.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:16 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
For fiscal year 2012, the Hawaiʻi Tourism Authority (HTA) has a total budget of approximately $75 million, so spending $6 million to "help airlines research and promote the most profitable routes to Hawaiʻi" is a mere "drop in the bucket." Most of that $6 million will go to something like the "Jonah K Consulting Group, Inc." With that money, I'll provide employment for at least 25 people in Hawaiʻi who will most likely be friends and relatives of the local politicos that provided the funding. For the most part, these Hawaiʻi-based employees aren't going do much, except occasionally present the research results to the government, airlines, and assorted media outlets as well as lobby for more funding. And, their salaries will consume about $1.6 million. Another $400K will be used to hire 100 people in the Philippines where the real work of designing surveys, collecting data, crunching numbers, interpreting the data, publishing the results, etc. will be done. As the CEO of "Jonah K Consulting Group, Inc.," I'll take a salary of $300K. Office leases, equipment, supplies, travel expenses, etc. will consume another $1.5 million. Another $1.5 million will go back to the local politicos in the form of "campaign contributions" and "political action committees." And, the remaining $700K or so will be used to entertain and provide gifts for airline industry executives. Thus, that $6 million will provide jobs for at least 126 people and help to benefit the economies of both Hawaiʻi and the Philippines. Of course, the HTA could've simply had a couple of their in-house employees do the research and reports as part of their normal duties; however, that makes too much fiscal sense and doesn't provide enough jobs.
Lots of other states and cities do the same thing. Here's a report done for San Francisco.

http://media.sanfrancisco.travel/doc...ec_summary.pdf

Old 02-26-2012, 01:00 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDfrmSD View Post
Lots of other states and cities do the same thing. Here's a report done for San Francisco.

http://media.sanfrancisco.travel/doc...ec_summary.pdf
Yep, it's pretty common. One of the hallmarks of being involved in government is figuring out creative ways to spend taxpayers' money to enrich oneself as well as one's relatives and friends.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:42 PM

246 posts, read 650,017 times
Tourism in Hawaii is partially what kept the unemployment rate one of the lowest in the nation in the past 3 years of this recession. We should thank the Aussies for visiting and spending money here making up for the loss of US Mainland visitors over these 3 years. Australia was booming while the US was deep in poo-poo.

Thank China and Obama for reducing the visa restrictions and know that even during the tsunami and nuclear mess in Japan, Japanese were still coming to visit.

The other contribution to Hawaii's healthy economy is the Federal money brought in by the Military.

People may say that they don't think the economy is or was good during the past 3 or so years but when I was in the US Mainland for 1.5 years in 2010 - 2011, I can tell you how bad it is living/working in a 10 -11% unemployment rate - city. I couldn't find work in my profession after sending resumes to over 200 places.

When I came back to Honolulu I had 3 offerings (2 in my profession)to pick and choose from within a week.....

Old 03-01-2012, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,456 times
I really like to travel Hawaii and this post can really helpful for all tourists and they know how much expense

Old 03-01-2012, 10:35 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers Creepers View Post
Sounds good to me! If there is a IPO afterwards, sign me up ! LOL.
I am all for Hawaii doing well, and the more positives, the better! Maybe T-shirts on line?
There's one problem. It's only called "Aloha Friday" in Hawaii. Everywhere else they call it casual Friday.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:12 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
There's one problem. It's only called "Aloha Friday" in Hawaii. Everywhere else they call it casual Friday.
Not true, many places on the west coast have Aloha Friday!

Old 03-01-2012, 03:12 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
Someone is already making products Every Day is Aloha Friday Embroidered Baseball Caps from Zazzle.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: