Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:20 AM

502 posts, read 985,450 times

Advertisements

I dont want to steer you wrong. I have not been down there in a year. If you are really keen on it, I would suggest driving down to Kalapana, get down to the end of the road and try to be patient enough to wait for others who are arriving and ask to go with them. Locals in the immediate area would have a better feel for it. Bring water and picnic food . Dont rush yourself. Have proper hiking shoes and tag along with others. A wide brim hat on a very sunny hot day would be a good idea .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 12:17 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeirdreDedra View Post
We are going to be in Puna and will be able to hike out on the lava. Is there a viewing site like there was in 2009 that had a designated place to stop walking and view the lava? Which road should we take to the spot we can park and hike?
Here's the National Park Service info page on the volcano activity, which has a map and practical information, and is updated frequently:

What's Going on With the Volcano? - Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park

Old 04-18-2012, 07:58 PM

84 posts, read 152,322 times
Thanks! Good advice!

Old 04-18-2012, 08:17 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeirdreDedra View Post
We are going to be in Puna and will be able to hike out on the lava. Is there a viewing site like there was in 2009 that had a designated place to stop walking and view the lava? Which road should we take to the spot we can park and hike?
Yes and no...

The official County Viewing Area is at the end of highway 130 in the Kalpana area. The phone number is (808) 961-8093. There are signs. It is updated daily. Right now, the best you can see from there is some glow on the hillside and some glow from the coastal plain. That can change tomorrow.

If you go through the park to the end of Chain of Craters Road, it is a many mile (5+?) one-way hike to the lava area. It is extremely strenuous and proper hiking boots, sunscreen, water, food, gloves, flashlights - are required. People get hurt almost every day. Usually ankle injuries, cuts in hands, legs, arms from falling on the hardened lava - which is as sharp as glass. There is usually a sort of marked trail to the lava that the rangers kinda maintain.

If you go to Kalapana, and walk down towards the black sand beach, you can legally (sort of - it's a murky thing) hike along the coast towards the lava. It is slightly shorter and not as arduous. However, don't try to hike from the area at the end of the road near the County Viewing Area. You might end up with a trespassing ticket.

But as I mentioned above, the situation changes daily.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:41 AM

Default Not to get into a Storm....

But I have never gotten anything of the sort;( Ticket ) for hiking on the Lava. Maybe because I have not gotten into any tangle with the authorities, for being rude or out of order. I dont push the envelop when I am in a new area. Nice to travel with other people. If there is a posted sign - stating "No tresspassing" sure I would not want to violate that.

Usually the locals set me straight on what is permissable.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:35 PM

and I think that generally, tourists are afraid or reluctant to ask locals for advice on matters of principle and culture in Hawaii. Locals have been very forth coming and helpful in my experience.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:58 PM

84 posts, read 152,322 times
If we did walk by way of Kalapana, are there rangers or officials out there near the lava to stop us from seeing pahouhou fingers and
such?

Old 04-25-2012, 06:22 PM

You will never know if you dont take a chance.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:20 AM

Hawaii Volcano National Park does have an operating restaurant at the military center for now. It is not as good as the old Volcano House which is under repair....

Old 07-27-2012, 08:36 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangodog View Post
Hawaii Volcano National Park does have an operating restaurant at the military center for now. It is not as good as the old Volcano House which is under repair....
To be clear, there is a former military camp within the National park boundries that is now operated by a private vendor as a resort and recreation center for current and former military personnel and their families. It's one of the nicest places to stay in the area if you qualify, and can get a reservation.

On the grounds are a restaurant, a bowling alley, a cafe/snack bar at the bowling alley, a bar/lounge which sometimes features live local music on weekends, a theater where concerts are regularly performed, a chapel where weddings are performed, a video game center, and a laundromat. All of these amenities are available to the general public. The only caveat is that you have to enter the park to get into the camp, which requires a paid admission or a pass at the front gate until 6pm. After that the gates are normally left open.

For information: Kilauea Military Camp - www.kmc-volcano.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii