Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 06:53 PM

892 posts, read 2,392,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivernot View Post
Any new developments? It seems like a somewhat slower passenger ferry would be popular. Hard to believe it would use more fuel than a jet aircraft.
No matter how many times you ask inside of a couple hours, the answer is not likely to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 05:17 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
". Best to ignore them.
Kinda hard to ignore them when their favorite strategy is to file lawsuits.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:55 AM

941 posts, read 1,967,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Kinda hard to ignore them when their favorite strategy is to file lawsuits.
When you ignore state laws, you open yourself up to lawsuits. The Hawaii state supreme court twice ruled against the ferry and its political shills.

Quote:
It seems like a somewhat slower passenger ferry would be popular.
No, it doesn't seem to be popular, at least in the presence of airlines. Business and government travelers need same-day round-trip transportation, which even the fast ferry didn't offer--or at least not with time to do business. Otherwise, hotel costs negate any savings. For individuals, spending 8-9 hours on a boat each way just doesn't work for a weekend get-away or a sports team away from school. I only works for weeklong vacations, and that's a tiny portion of the overall travelers.

Quote:
Hard to believe it would use more fuel than a jet aircraft.
Why? Going fast through water requires tremendous energy. Swing your arm, palm forwards, through the air, now through the water. From the calculations I saw, they used about the same amout of fuel per trip: airplanes are fast and light, the ship had the advantage of taking tons of cargo. The real problem was the potential to kill endangered sea-life with 2 bows slicing through the water at 30+ knots.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:14 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,663,583 times
A sample trip from Honolulu to Maui is about 160 mile when ports are factored in. I idea weather maybe a ferry makes 15 knots You are looking at a 10 hour plus trip when a airline gets you there in an hour cheaper. I'd say to even coming close to a profit would mean a big fright business. Ferries up here have failed in recent years due to time and cost.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:09 AM

4 posts, read 5,953 times
If I had a boat, say big enough for a dozen people, I would ferry them between Oahu and Maui.
It would be a paying business duh.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:30 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycee2525 View Post
If I had a boat, say big enough for a dozen people, I would ferry them between Oahu and Maui.
It would be a paying business duh.
Of course, you'd have to jump through all the regulatory and licensing hoops, buy the required safety equipment, get Coast Guard inspections, etc. You can't just get into the public transportation business on a whim.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:33 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,129 times
Not to mention that if you're only taking 12 passengers at a time, you'd have to charge them a fortune in order to break even.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:22 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Let us know how that trip goes in the winter from Oahu to Maui with 20 ft waves on the 12 person boat. Ever see Gilligans Island?

Old 03-11-2013, 05:12 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,612 times
Remember SeaFlight in the 70's? Take it from me, getting stuck mid-channel on a boat is not fun. Especially when the crew decides that handing out unlimited free beers for a couple of hours will help everyone to have a better time. Everyone onboard in unison : burp.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:06 PM

293 posts, read 361,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Remember SeaFlight in the 70's? Take it from me, getting stuck mid-channel on a boat is not fun. Especially when the crew decides that handing out unlimited free beers for a couple of hours will help everyone to have a better time. Everyone onboard in unison : burp.
How many bathrooms on this boat?......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii