Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2012, 02:51 PM

219 posts, read 457,316 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how Hawaiians feel about living on the islands and not being able to drive for a long distance? Does it feel claustrophobic to out of state residents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 03:15 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,432,831 times
Interesting question and may be the reason many mainlanders end up moving back to the 48. I for one live on the coast of California and we have these things called boats. You can get in one and sail or motor for way more than miles of land ever allowed. It would seem that those on the land should feel more claustrophobic as you are stuck in that wide open space with no ocean to see. I just can't imagine living away from the water.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:32 PM

312 posts, read 1,377,483 times
It's up to the person and what their personality is like. An actual Hawaiian has probably always lived on the islands, therefore would feel differently than a person who relocted there from the mainland (or somehwere else), simply because of their life experiences. On the otherhand, you have people like me who moved there and wasn't bothered by "island borders" or "island fever". Some people, some people aren't. It just depends on the person and how they live and deal with a different setting.

Also, a Hawaiian is someone who is of native Hawaiian heritage, the way a Cherokee is a Native American or a Japanese person is of Japanese heritage, etc. Anyone who lives on the islands is a Local, but only native Hawaiians are Hawaiian. Thought I'd throw that out there because someone is going to bring it up the longer this thread sits here!

Old 09-26-2012, 05:13 PM

2,272 posts, read 4,141,421 times
Well, I am both part Native Hawaiian and someone who was born and raised in Hawaii. I love my Islands and her feel and spirit is totally unique.

I was in the Army and married a man in the Army (neither Hawaiian nor local). We lived around the world and back again, and have traveled more miles than I truly care to think about. It is just ...different. Not better or worse- just different.

I enjoy traveling but it is more difficult now that I am disabled. Hawaii will always be my 'home' but I cannot say that I have ever felt that I had no options. Truly, the best of both worlds.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:45 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,126,709 times
Why in the world would we want to get in a car and drive for long distances? I can not think of anything less appealing than that. Where would we go? Why would we go there?

Secluded is when folks on the mainland tell us they won't ship things to us. Secluded is when it takes three weeks to get a package. Secluded is when it takes an airplane to visit friends and relatives who aren't on our island.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:09 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,594,229 times
I got up the courage to drive from Kihei to Wailuku the other month.... By mainland standards thats about the same as driving from San Diego to the coast of Maine!! I'm still just getting over the time zone changes.....

The things I must endure.......

(don't panic,, but, there's a pork shortage on the horizon)

Old 09-27-2012, 03:05 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,240,502 times
I had a panic attack one time driving through Iowa...endless rows of corn and white folks...

Old 09-27-2012, 11:59 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,126,709 times
Yeah, we visited the mainland once and all the folks there were the same variety. It was eerie. I was really uneasy and couldn't figure it out for the longest time. I think my subconscious was telling me to run away because for some reason most of the population of the area had vanished.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:39 PM

312 posts, read 1,377,483 times
I love to drive long distances on the mainland, although I know it's not common for others (although they complain about NOT getting to do it even though they never DID it...the grass is always greener for some people). I loved to just up and drive 900 miles to WY, WA, I love road trips and they are always my favorite trips for the most part. However, I never, not once, felt restricted or removed while living in HI. It's all about how you choose to take advantage of where you are; are you going to sit in town or are you going to try out a new beach, a new hike? Many of the people I've talked to who have complained about island fever didn't ever really attempt to take advantage of the island around them- I think most people could avoid it if they learned to adapt and give it a go!

Old 09-27-2012, 11:28 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,062,443 times
Geeez, try circumnavigating BI, it's a long-azz trip.

We arrived here with a long list of "must visit" other places (Fiji, Galapagos, etc. etc. etc.) and now that we've found this humongous piece of land...we may never get off this giant rock.

Disclaimer: just moved here from a tiny rock.

Actually, driving is over-rated. Park the car, get out and walk around and enjoy!!! Let's face it, if you like to DRIVE, you could just circle the block you live on for a few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: