Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 07:12 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,496,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakka30 View Post
I've heard of people telecommuting, what kinds of jobs are these? (don't just give me vague "IT jobs" answers)
IT jobs.

Most of the telecommuting jobs I know of are IT related, such as software developers, or people who manage them. Some customer service reps, some IT support. But almost all are jobs that people had on the mainland and were successful in migrating to the islands, versus jobs people found once they were already in Hawai'i.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 11:38 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,150,057 times
Right, I do software development from home. Like OpenD said, you could be in management, web site design or whatever, the key is you work over the Internet and over the phone.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:32 PM

892 posts, read 2,395,939 times
Quote:
I've heard of people telecommuting, what kinds of jobs are these? (don't just give me vague "IT jobs" answers)
Seriously, almost everything, soup to nuts. Just to take the popular example of web stuff since it's something a lot of people are familiar with...you can hire out to an agency to get branding and logos and a user experience designed. Then you can pay someone remote to colocate your servers, both for the data on the back end and the varnish on the front end. You don't have to administrate those servers if you don't want to hire a support staff, you can hire experts to do both the application management and the lower level operating system stuff. Backups and archival can be taken care of remotely as part of the hosting plan, and all your logs can be shipped out to a data analysis and visualization firm. You can even implement a content management system that will allow your lower-skilled in-house people to perform routine content updates without messing with anything deep down if that's your preference.

All you really need to do in house is the decision making and the "business" stuff like getting your products made, and of course, if they're physical in nature you're probably only prototyping yourself and getting the manufacturing done overseas.

The kinds of folks I just mentioned can be living anywhere in the world, working over the Internet, and typically working on many different clients' projects and systems at once. It's been like this for quite some time now, I always find it shocking when people think that every company has an IT staff sitting inside their own building someplace. Honestly? The only people you need in-house or close by are the barely-skilled grunts who crawl under your desk and plug your stuff in and fix minor user errors.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:35 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,104,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post
I always find it shocking when people think that every company has an IT staff sitting inside their own building someplace. Honestly? The only people you need in-house or close by are the barely-skilled grunts who crawl under your desk and plug your stuff in and fix minor user errors.
Is there a specific business size you are equating this opinion to?

Old 04-30-2013, 10:00 AM

892 posts, read 2,395,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
Is there a specific business size you are equating this opinion to?
I've worked with shops that had 10,000+ employees that were able to source out their entire operations floors and have folks like IBM come in to run their data centers, and I've worked with small businesses that have 100% of their infrastructure located in another state run by people they've never even met face to face. It's extremely common. Two things I think a lot of folks don't "get" about twenty-first century IT is that it's more likely something is sourced out than run in house and it's more likely any employee doing anything in tech is a contractor than a full time hire.

I think the public has this idea in their heads of the inside of Google and Facebook offices they've seen on television, and that's as much like "any other business" as a look inside Wonka Chocolate is like "any other factory."

I'm not saying nobody runs in house IT departments soup to nuts anymore, some do...but it's not common and it's definitely no longer the norm. Of the IT jobs available anywhere in the USA at any given time today, a very small minority even resemble that model.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:35 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,104,012 times
Interesting viewpoint, thank you.

I have seen both sides of that coin for 40-200 user size businesses. I've bounced from in-house do-it-all IT Manager to Managed Service Provider Engineer and back for the past 15 years or so. My experience has been that outsourcing works for some, but some shops prefer an in-house person that knows their systems inside and out. You are right though, the traditional in house IT Manager that is responsible for everything is not very common anymore.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:30 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,407,020 times
Quote:
I work for a large global consulting firm in which telecommuting is very common. If your job involves working at a computer and/or talking on the phone all day, then you can work pretty much anywhere you want to in your country of residence, as long as you attend required teleconferences and such. I write and edit various materials, manage a SharePoint intranet site, and work on proposals for new business (i.e., I sit at a computer all day), and my boss tells me that there's no reason I couldn't telecommute from Hawaii (as long as she's allowed to come visit, of course ). Unfortunately, my wife's job isn't portable, but when she retires in a few years, there's a good chance we'll make the move – assuming I'm still working at a job from which I can telecommute. I'll have the benefit of a good Mainland salary, and since my company has an office in Hawaii, I'll also have access to several health-insurance options there. We'll assess the situation when the time comes, but I definitely plan to stay on a "telecommutable" career path.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:34 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,150,057 times
I live in Virginia, but the servers that host our software are in California. My team is in four counties and on two continents. I am 500 miles from my coworkers in the US. When our last kid graduates high school we are free to move where we want.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:38 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,457,250 times
Bumping my old thread because I came across this article from 2009 that actually discusses WHY salaries are so much lower Mainland-Hawaii salary gap grows - Pacific Business News

Quote:
Private-sector managers and employees told PBN they grudgingly accept Hawaii’s lower wages as the historical norm and the so-called “price of paradise.”

“That was the norm with either board members or major investors, they were dead set against paying [higher wages],” said David Watumull, president and CEO of Cardax Pharmaceuticals, which is based in Aiea. “Simply put, they’d say, we don’t do that in Hawaii. I think there’s still a lot of that and the justification of why it should be less, like because we [companies] pay higher taxes.”

It’s also been blamed for the “brain drain,” where Hawaii-born college graduates leave for higher paying careers on the Mainland or abroad.
“It’s a societal problem, not an industry problem,” said Pono Shim, president and CEO of Enterprise Honolulu. “We’ve got it backwards where we’re importing expertise and exporting revenue. Until we really start getting better at exporting our expertise, as a community, we’re paying for it dearly in the brain drain.”

Old 09-03-2014, 09:01 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,457,250 times
Here's a new low-- $2459/month for a disaster GIS analyst PDC DISASTER SERVICES ANALYST-- ID# 14451.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii