Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 06:42 AM

37 posts, read 175,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kani-lehua View Post
where does one purchase the, "relief band"? i've never heard of it.
You will have to buy it on the internet or on Ebay. Do a search for "Relief Band" and that should get you some results. The watch has a blue face and black strap. Shop around to get the best price as it can be costly. I think I bought mine several years ago for around $120. There's one currently on Ebay now for $124 which is probably a good deal. Let me know if you need more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 08:39 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,465 times
Default SuperFerry at Death's Door

Article: Special session Hawaii Superferry's only hope - The Honolulu Advertiser - Hawaii's Newspaper

Gov. Linda Lingle and state House and Senate leaders indicated yesterday that a special session may be the only option left to save Hawaii Superferry but put off a decision on whether lawmakers should return to the state Capitol. Lingle, state Senate President Colleen Hanabusa, D-21st (Nanakuli, Makaha), and state House Speaker Calvin Say, D-20th (St. Louis Heights, Palolo Valley, Wilhelmina Rise), met privately in the governor's office yesterday afternoon and agreed that Hanabusa and Say needed more time to discuss a special session with their caucuses. House Democrats will meet this afternoon, and Senate Democrats likely later this week, anticipating that public pressure both for and against a special session will likly build. Hanabusa and Say have said they believe they have enough votes to help Superferry, but they have been cautious about making any commitments, knowing that the fate of a legislative remedy will depend on whether a majority in the House and Senate can agree on the details.

Moderator cut: left just a snippet

Last edited by scirocco22; 10-11-2007 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: Post original content only. Rephrase short articles; post links for long ones. Or just post link. Thanks, Hank!

Old 10-11-2007, 03:48 PM

850 posts, read 4,363,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Kani,
Ferries are normally mono hulled, because they are subjected to fairly calm ocean conditions. The SF is a catamaran, twin hulls, sits high in the water, and is "theoretically" very stable, as the channel between Oahu and Maui can get pretty malualua at times. From what I've seen of it on the news it looks like a pretty nice ride. Took the ferry from Molokai to Lahaina a few years back, water was absolutely terrible, incoming Kona storm. I'm on the stern of the boat, have tourists going by every now and then to give it the old opu heave ho over the railing. If you want a calm ride, just find a spot in the stern. I hope Cordoza's ruling is overturned, and think it will be..

Aloha
jungohann and kali, thanks for the info. according to this morning's news, looks like it's all up to governor lingle now.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:30 PM

9 posts, read 27,416 times
I'm pro-Superferry. But i'm moving to WA anyways so my opinion doesn't really matter. A big reason why i'm leaving is because all the hostility on Kauai. Kauai needs to grow, and the Superferry is a start. I hope Lingle doesn't get bullied into her decision.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:39 PM

19 posts, read 102,147 times
Default What's to discuss?

I love Hawaii, but this upcoming debate, the outcome of which is apparently in question, drives me nuts. The Ferry will be great for all concerned. Why not stop all the cruise ships, what's the difference? They all pollute in one form or another.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:38 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,627 times
I am against it. besides the obvious invasive species/drug trafficking issues that people tend to utilize in their judgment against the superferry, I feel that the inception of the superferry was sort of shady- too political. Also, I think that besides it being used for cargo and those who are moving inter-island or visiting for extended time periods, it is rather impractical. Who wants to travel for three hours from Oahu to Kauai when they could fly and rent a car for the same price, but cheaper. I know few people here on Kauai who are pro ferry.....

Old 10-16-2007, 05:11 PM

9 posts, read 27,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
I know few people here on Kauai who are pro ferry.....
Really? Because almost all the locals I talk to are for it. They were disappointed when all this started to happen. And soon it might not be cheaper to fly because Hawaiian Air is suing go airlines, and if they win they said they would raise their prices back up.

I'm not too worried about invasive species or drugs. It's already here. Look at the big meth bust that happend last week. And the marijuana bust last month. All that happend without the Superferry.

I just hope if it does go through, the protesters won't be violent like when it first came to Kauai. Because I think the violence is a bigger issue than the Superferry.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:48 PM
CLQ

207 posts, read 1,086,066 times
The Hawaiian/Aloha airline lobbyists don't want to face the interisland travel competition and will fight it at every cost. I'm convinced the local government is accommodating the airlines in their lobbying efforts. Another example of the corrupt Hawaii gov't restricting competition and capitalism.

The ferry is a great opportunity for locals and tourists alike to travel to the neighbor islands for less costs and pumping money into local businesses. It would be great for the local economy but there is too much red tape in the Aloha State when friends/family exert influence on the government.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:20 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,627 times
no most of my friends either don't really care or are against it. I only know a few people who actually went to the protest, and in my opinion such strong animosity is not common. Regardless of flight prices increasing, it still is a hassle to take the three hour ferry ride. All in all, having the ferry is more of a bother than anything, and has added a lot of ill-will towards local politicians, and much of this comes from older, life-long Kauai residents. Also, I have seen a myriad of Sink da superferry bumper stickers, and I have yet to see any that say Keep da superferry or something.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:21 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
Local government should just let the ferry operate while they figure out the EIS issues. What better manner in which to ascertain the impact, popularity and viability of the ferry than to let it operate for a few months. As far as collisions with whales are concerned, didn't the last one involve a whale watching boat, and the tragic death of a young boy? I wonder who does EIS on those operations?

Aloha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii