Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 02:43 PM

5 posts, read 10,882 times

Advertisements

What do you think are good opportunities on Oahu? If you were looking to buy or start a business and had up to $750K to invest, what would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 02:55 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,943,614 times
I've yet to find a great Mexican restaurant on Oahu - and there are none in Waikiki that I can think of.

I'd actually buy single family home property and rent it out.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:33 PM

48,574 posts, read 34,949,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I've yet to find a great Mexican restaurant on Oahu - and there are none in Waikiki that I can think of.

I'd actually buy single family home property and rent it out.

I 2nd both his statements.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:48 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,102,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Los Chapparos (Los Chaparros Mexican Restaurant). So far this is the only good Mexican Restaurant I have found on the island. It's off Beretania between Eisenberg and McCully. The staff are really nice, the food is good and the prices are very reasonable. Cholo's on the NS is "ok" and takes second IMHO.

Sorry OP...I have no helpful recommendations for a business.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:09 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,831,668 times
I like whtviper1's suggestions. Especially the purchasing of SFH and leasing them out!!

As for Mexican Restaurants, I'm currently in San Diego area and therefore in Mexican Food Nirvana! I didn't like Cholo's when I was on island and will have to look up Los Chaparros once I return.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:06 PM

431 posts, read 940,925 times
Financial advisors, retirement consultants, Evangelical church pastors, Three Card Monte entrepreneurs.
Hey, I've been here a while and perhaps am a bit jaded but majorly realistic.
Cholo's is okay and has the niche re Mexican on the North Shore---los nietos Mexicanos love the horchata (I don't think it's on the menu---you have to ask for it). Grandma loves the margaritas. As someone who has Mexicans in her family and loves Mexican food, I have to second the vote for Los Chapporos. Serg's Mexican Kitchen gets good reviews too, with locations in Manoa and Waimanalo but I've yet to stop in.
But really, unless you have authentic Mexican roots and are ready to rock the venue, I would skip any aspirations to becoming the next best Mexican restaurant on Oahu.
"Mexico" restaurant is supposed to be good too, in Kalihi. Maybe someday.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:36 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,815,315 times
If there was a "sure bet" good opportunity on Oahu, you can make a "sure bet" that someone who already lives here would have plugged themselves in to the spot.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:10 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,831,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
Financial advisors, retirement consultants, Evangelical church pastors, Three Card Monte entrepreneurs.
Hey, I've been here a while and perhaps am a bit jaded but majorly realistic.
Cholo's is okay and has the niche re Mexican on the North Shore---los nietos Mexicanos love the horchata (I don't think it's on the menu---you have to ask for it). Grandma loves the margaritas. As someone who has Mexicans in her family and loves Mexican food, I have to second the vote for Los Chapporos. Serg's Mexican Kitchen gets good reviews too, with locations in Manoa and Waimanalo but I've yet to stop in.
But really, unless you have authentic Mexican roots and are ready to rock the venue, I would skip any aspirations to becoming the next best Mexican restaurant on Oahu.
"Mexico" restaurant is supposed to be good too, in Kalihi. Maybe someday.
Oh forgot about Serg's It is pretty good, but sort of a limited menu - but it is good!! They have the Mexican Fruit Soda Drinks too!

Old 12-31-2012, 09:05 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,580,468 times
I suspect a real winner would be a combo bus/hotel/eatery(mexican)/farm labor consortium. All you would need is an old DaBus, retrofitted with reclining seats that fold into beds. Then, you would set up a daily route, from Ewa plain into town, the idea being that every morning DaBus would take it's load of workers/renters into town to work at the various offices in Honozulu. While the office workers did their thing, the remaining renters on DaBus would serve fresh MexiPino food all around downtown, that was prepared that morning in DaKitchen that was set up on DaPlain. When the office workers were pau, and all the meals had been sold, DaBus would pick them up, and transport them to their semi-permanent parking spot in Ewa, which, conveniently enough, was right next to one of the many little truck farms out there.. Once parked, the DaBus renters, that being the office workers, could recline their seats and get a good nights rest, while the workers could go out and pick fresh produce for the following days MexiPino entre. The office workers could pay 10 dollars a night, and the farm hands would pay nothing....

IS THIS A GREAT IDEA OR WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (uuuurrrrpppp)

does this eggnogg smell bad to you????

Old 01-01-2013, 12:58 AM

32,679 posts, read 48,175,275 times
Cargo trailer, all divided up into little locking compartments. Park it at the beach and rent the lockers out by the hour or half day for people to lock their stuff up while they go swimming. Have lockers for bikes and surfboards, too. Maybe a couple of lockers big enough for luggage for the tourist who has a long layover at the airport and wants to wander around Honolulu without dragging his suitcase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii