Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 06:20 PM

8 posts, read 14,372 times

Advertisements

Hi, i'm planning to go to Hawaii for about 6 months or 1 year (if it is possible...) . I have already made a thread about that. The purpose of this one is to know where i should stay more precisely. I've never been to Hawaii before so I really don't know where I should stay and what is the best place to stay for 6 months , maybe more (hotel,foster home,roommate, youth hostel, etc.). I know that for one week i should stay in a Hotel,but for 6 months i don't think so... Can anyone help me with this ? Does anyone knows people that could hook me up for a place to hang in Hawaii? Just asking...
Thank you very much,
Julien

Last edited by Julienlaf123; 01-07-2013 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 07:20 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
You didn't even specify which island.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
You didn't even specify which island.
I was thinking of maybe kauai but in your opinion wich island would be the best for me?
Thank you,
Julien

Old 01-07-2013, 07:49 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Read your other threads. You did not say how much money you would come with or if you will need to work. Oahu, Maui and Kauai all good for surfing. All have rooms for rent listed on Craigslist. Look on Craigslist also for jobs.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Read your other threads. You did not say how much money you would come with or if you will need to work. Oahu, Maui and Kauai all good for surfing. All have rooms for rent listed on Craigslist. Look on Craigslist also for jobs.
Thank you, i didn't know that craigslist was good for this too. I know i got good informations on the other threads, just looking for more informations and more precisely where i could stay. I need to figure out how much money i will bring with me... and if it is possible i would like to work , but i know that it is complicated to have a work visa. I planned my trip to be in 1 year and a half.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:43 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julienlaf123 View Post
... if it is possible i would like to work , but i know that it is complicated to have a work visa.
To get a TN1 work visa you will need to have a specific skill that is in short supply in the US, and have an offer of work from a US employer. In other words, it's not likely.

I suggest you use the Search function here to do some homework in the archives of previous posts so you can get a better idea where you might want to visit, and what it would take to do that.

Good luck!

Old 01-08-2013, 01:45 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Assuming this is a serious thead -

Canadians can stay 6 months max but don't be shocked if immigration has issues and denies entry if you say, well, I'll stay at a hostel for awhile, then who knows - it doesn't work that way.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Assuming this is a serious thead -

Canadians can stay 6 months max but don't be shocked if immigration has issues and denies entry if you say, well, I'll stay at a hostel for awhile, then who knows - it doesn't work that way.
Thank you for the info , but this is a serious thread... I'm starting from zero ,i don't know anything about Hawaii. I'm reading a lot of forums and websites about it. I do not want to leave to Hawaii tomorrow, i want to leave in 1 year. I'm getting info of people to help me in my planning.
Thanks

Old 01-08-2013, 09:29 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
if your trip is only for 6 months why not just save as much money as you can and island hop, staying at hostels and such. I doubt you will be able to secure a job for a few months at a time anyway. save some money and make it a long vacation

Old 01-08-2013, 09:45 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julienlaf123 View Post
Thank you for the info , but this is a serious thread... I'm starting from zero ,i don't know anything about Hawaii. I'm reading a lot of forums and websites about it. I do not want to leave to Hawaii tomorrow, i want to leave in 1 year. I'm getting info of people to help me in my planning.
Thanks
Well then, as stated, you should be aware of the entry requirements. Unfortunately one can't just come to another country and stay as long as they like. You should definitely look up on that stuff before planning your trip any further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii