Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 07:03 AM

106 posts, read 230,118 times

Advertisements

There's lots of hostels in Waikiki on Lemon St which also have various weekly rates depending on the share situation (i.e. how many per room), which could be a good start. I m sure you've stayed in a hostel or two in your lifetime.

Can you at least treat this as a vacation 'stopover' to see if you can make AND THEN have somewhere to go if it doesn't? I mean, you have family on the mainland who are there if for some chance you decide to go onward and leave Hawaii? I think that is key.

If so, then you have nothing really to lose, you got $2500 for a month long vacation in Hawaii. In the best sense , no one would recommend someone coming here with 2500 to look for a job, but to me, it sounds like you are going from Japan to XXXX and having a long stopover in Hawaii with an amount that should tie you over for a month or longer especially if you do the hostel route, cook some meals, go to mcD's dollar menu, buy some Saimin or Ramen (Heck even a big bowl of Udon from Marukame Udon on Kuhio is LESS than $5.00, a filling bowl of curry udon there is $5.75.. I was just there today ).

There are help wanted signs all over Waikiki and at the Ala Moana mall. I mean, ALL OVER. I am in no way trying to inflate your view of success, but it just sounds like you could have what a shop or restaurant would want. So many shops at Ala moana have Help Wanted signs. Clothing places like Forever 21 are looking for workers. Maybe even try Shirokiya, which is a japanese department store at the mall.

Sounds like fun. I did that (or tried to) in Germany several years ago. Obvioulsy I could not work there not being German lol, but i was on my trip abroad trip and had nothing to lose in trying. I returned back to the US 2 months later from when I left, but I was on backpacking/hostel trip anyway. Just like I assume you are. You should be fine. Keep in mind, in many posts, you have no control over who answers and there will always be someone who cannot fathom the choices in life you make or answer a question in terms of how it applies to them. They may be 20, 30 or even 50 years older than you. Only you know your limits. Keep us up to date, okay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 07:42 AM

10 posts, read 13,614 times
yeah I'll definatly be looking into cheap hostels for sure. And my original course from Japan was straight back home to my parents house! ...which I would like to avoid haha, but yeah this is what you could say a fly by chance. No overly high expectations here, just kind of going with the flow!

Old 03-14-2013, 11:04 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,788 times
If your parents are willing to fly you home after you run through your money I say go for it...many of us spend a lot more than $2,500 just on vacation, you're using it for research. While I'm not too positive that you'll be successful, you'll have a great vacay and lots of life experience, and your parents can get you home and feed you until you decide what to do next. Win win. You're only 20 once!

Old 03-16-2013, 01:17 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Speaking fluent Japanese and being a gaijin should be a lot of fun in Hawaii, actually. You'll do fine, especially with the willingness to couch surf. It's not like you're going to have a whole lot of stuff to shift around with you? Most "I wanna move to Hawaii" folks usually have a container full of "stuff", kids, debts, all sorts of inconvenient things but keep enough in reserve to fly home if you have to, but you'll probably have a job real soon. There is also "AirBnB" which is sort of like couch surfing. Plus the hostels and there is a YMCA right across the street from Ala Moana Shopping center, too.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:27 PM

7 posts, read 9,624 times
Default Moving to Hawaii

Good Question, if you are marketing your ability to speak Japanese Hawaii is one of the best places to start of. The Japanese population that lives here is well educated and speaks fluent English, however the tourists are all over the place, and most hotels and resorts love to hire Japanese speaking staff, (its a start) as to not getting ripped off when moving well I moved to Oahu from CT in june of last year, and I used Mod cut: advertising, worked for me. If you have any more specific questions let me know.

AlohaB

Last edited by Mikala43; 03-24-2013 at 01:28 AM..

Old 03-24-2013, 11:30 AM

Nice job on all five, Mikala.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:16 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
Nice job on all five, Mikala.
, for all five.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:05 PM

I waited until the spam website was removed to post this, but it would be IMPOSSIBLE for our newest spammer to have used that website to move because doing a "whois" on the domain name results in
Quote:
Record created on 23-Mar-2013
which is...yesterday's date.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:21 AM

Mod cut: advertising? never heard of it and couldn't find any information about it on Google

Old 03-27-2013, 11:23 AM

Wait nevermind thats spam is'nt it hahah....gotcha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: