Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 03:48 PM

32 posts, read 109,906 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know of any airline that will let you transport a cat in the cabin of the plane? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 04:16 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,411,614 times
Aloha, I believe Alaska Airlines and Hawaiian Airlines both allow pets under 10 lbs to
be carried in the cabin w/you. This is a good test for me. I am moving 4 dogs and 2 parrots in about 8 months to the Big Island and I believe these are the Airlines I have flagged for 'my' approval.
Got all your paperwork in order?
Koale

Old 10-25-2007, 06:08 PM

4 posts, read 35,475 times
That depends on your departure!
If you are flying between the islands then i think as long as the airline allow pets then it's okay.
If you are coming from the mainland, most airline (even though they normally allow small pets in the cabin) will not allow pet in the cabin because of animal quarantine reasons! I have heard that ATA will allow pets in the cabin because they do not have cargo service for pets. Another rumor I have heard is that since "service animals" have to be allowed in the plane, if you have a note from your doctor saying it's "medically necessary" for the pet to fly in cabin with you, then airline must honor it. I have not tried either of those so I don't know if it will work. Let me know how it works out with you!

Old 10-25-2007, 09:50 PM

Thanks for your help, ATA does allow two pets per flight as long as they can fit under the seat. After you check in Honolulu then they said other ailrines allow you to put the pets in the cabin.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:58 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,575,502 times
Lots of luck getting a cat carrier under the seat, don't believe it would fit, and the poor animal would probably hate it. I have some friends who work for Hawaiian, will check into it for you.

Aloha

Old 10-26-2007, 10:04 PM

Thanks so much I hope they can give me some better suggestions. My cats are baby's. This is my only hold up in moving.
Thanks again

Old 10-30-2007, 03:48 PM

126 posts, read 688,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Aloha, I believe Alaska Airlines and Hawaiian Airlines both allow pets under 10 lbs to
be carried in the cabin w/you. This is a good test for me. I am moving 4 dogs and 2 parrots in about 8 months to the Big Island and I believe these are the Airlines I have flagged for 'my' approval.
Got all your paperwork in order?
Koale
Just fyi. Hawaii doesn't allow birds in the cabin. I believe the only airline where you can fly parrots in the cabin is ATA (who only allows pets in the cabin). Maybe also NWA. I do believe Alaska may, but that is a new service.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:27 AM

849 posts, read 3,529,308 times
Default check regs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser100 View Post
Thanks so much I hope they can give me some better suggestions. My cats are baby's. This is my only hold up in moving.
Thanks again
Kaiser,if you're coming from the mainland, your cats need to have had 2 rabies shots in their lives. I spoke to the DoA because their web page is a bit confusing.
I don't think you want the babies to be in quarantine so there are several things you need to do. first is microchipping, then your vet has to do blood work sent to Univ. of Kansas to test for rabies antibodies. if the kitties haven't had 2 shots they probably won't pass. they don't need any other shots but the Rabies immunity is crucial. The quarantine is long and they will grow up in a cage.
This may be a longer hold up than you think. When will they be 1 year old? if that's soon and they've had their first year rabies, you can maybe push it a bit (ask your vet) and get them approved. It also costs around $165per cat as a fee for direct release at the airport. the Dept. of AG phone # is 808-453-7151. The web site is http://hawaiiag.org (broken link)

Old 12-11-2007, 10:31 AM

Red face my bad

I mentioned Southwest Airlines because I've looked at several things and can't keep everything straight I just checked again and Southwest does NOT accept pets in the cabin except *service* animals. Just check the airline you plan to use because more of them are allowing pets. Continental Does not let pets fly to Hawaii in the cabin although they allow it on some flights so if you are using Continental to connect, be sure you book properly on the Hawaii leg.
Sorry for the bad info. I posted yesterday.

Last edited by jessiesma; 12-11-2007 at 10:43 AM..

Old 12-11-2007, 10:34 AM

jungjohann,
Continental sells a cabin sized carrier. interested posters should check that web site for the dimensions and see if the kitty will fit. As I mentioned before, cats really like to feel cozy and secure. What they hate is being slung around in a too big carrier if the ride gets bumpy. Aloha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii