Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 06:51 PM

312 posts, read 1,375,157 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone, I was writing a lesson for a group of students visting the islands later this year on an environmental science course, and I thought it may be something others visiting may want to read. If they don't want to, well, they probably should. I'm a trainer with Leave No Trace, the center for outdoor ethics so this piece is to help the kids learn how to Leave No Trace during their trip! It's great advice for anyone, esspecially since many things don't occure to someone who isn't outdoors a lot or familiar with the culture/area. Thanks!

How to be a conscientious visitor while enjoying the Islands to their fullest

Leave What You Find: Sand, Rocks, Plants and Cultural Objects.
Mai Lawe i kahi ʻē: Remember that in many places it’s not only illegal to remove these natural or cultural objects; it’s also morally wrong and can leave lasting environmental impacts. It’s common to take lava rocks and sand home as souvenirs, despite legend of curses, however it’s not only illegal to remove these items, they have a deep cultural significance to the Hawaiian people. Many believe they are sacred and may even hold the souls of passed loved ones; respect their beliefs as you would want someone to respect your own. What looks like a simple pile of rocks to you could be a Hawaiian Heiau, or sacred spot. Since you are a student of the environment, remember that our resources, even ones that seem infinite, like rocks and sand, are actually finite. There are only so many sea shells, rocks and even sand on Hawai’i’s beaches; these islands are largely not a renewable resource. With millions of people a year enjoying Hawai’i, we must all care for the land if we want to see it last

Don’t Litter: Pack out what you packed in
'A'ole 'Opala: We all know that bottles, wrappers and paper are litter and only lazy, careless people throw them outside, but banana peels, apple cores, orange peels, and other food are all litter too and should never be discarded anywhere except trash cans and recycling. These food items are often looked at as bio-degradable; however, sometimes they can take months or years to disappear! In the meantime they are feeding wildlife which is very damaging and if littered near roads, cause animals to approach for a free meal, leaving them susceptible to passing cars. The endangered Hawaiian Nene is a victim of this road side feeding. Also, most fruits do not belong in Hawai’i; they do not grow there and even one seed can become an invasive species.

Stay on designated Trails: Don’t cut corners or go off trail
Mai 'Auwana: Hawai’i’s trails are expensive to maintain with all the foot traffic they endure. Staying on the trails helps the area stay pristine and the money where it should be. It may be tempting to get off the trail for a better view, but consider all the rare and struggling species you are here to study that you may be damaging by doing so. It’s also tempting to cut corners of switchbacks when the terrain is steep, but this encourages erosion of the area and causes major damage. Another great reason to stay on the trails is for your own safety; hiking in Hawai’i is filled with steep cliffs, drop offs hidden by vegetation and other hazards.

This list was meant to be brief, as to not overwhelm the kids, but there are many more ways to respect Hawai'i (or anywhere you visit!). If you have questions about how to visit a place while leaving as little impact as possible, respecting the land and taking care of yourself, please post or message me! I'm always happy to keep Hawai'i beautiful and healthy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 09:34 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,578,196 times
EEEHHHHH!!!!!! LEAVE ONE TRACE THAT YOU WERE HERE!!!! SOME KALA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tip da waitress, tip da waitah, tip da busboy, tip da cab guy, tip da kid wit da umbrella at da beach, tip da guy who puts da umbrella in your mai tai, tip da wahine you wen meet on Kalakaua late last............. (foget dat one)..

Don't be shy, leave some money behind.

(Does not apply to Canadians)

(sincerest apologies to Canadians)

(not really)

Old 04-12-2013, 05:00 AM

337 posts, read 613,767 times
Just don't stack rocks on top of other rock piles, its not welcome. You'll see them all over the place(some even with ti leaves), there is no tradition/religion/respects to it, just something some tourist started that needs to stop. Some misguided tour guides tell people to do it here on Maui too, and its irksome. Especially the 'wrap a rock in ti leaf and offer it' is some tourist thing, and is pretty much littering trails with an eyesore.

Worse yet, if you do it in a national park, the rock stacking could land you a $5000 fine and 6 months in jail.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:01 PM

MitchTempo, I couldn't agree more about unwanted ahu stacks (It's esspecially a trend at Pololu valley beach on the Big Island. The Leave No Trace method with this is to knock them down when they are uneeded or unofficial. However, with Hawai'i it can be a tender subject, because most tourists don't know the difference between another tourists ahu stack and something important-so I tell people not to create them, etc. However, I woud like to mention on certain hikes in Vocanoes National Park, the ahu ARE official and are the only way to mark the right path of some trails like Mauna Ulu that go through barren lava fields. In those cases, they need to be left so no one gets lost.

I know it seems crazy that some people can't tell the difference between "a stack of rocks" and a heiau to me and you, but from working at Kaloko-Honokohau National Park I recall all the tourists that would try to climb the heiaus there, and when quickly told to stop it would say things like "I thought they were for climbing." in all seriousness.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:41 PM

32,672 posts, read 48,139,958 times
Are we adding to the list?

Do not touch the coral or the wildlife. Do not pick the wildflowers.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:42 PM

Yes, I would be happy for people to add to the list! There are far more than 3 things people should keep in mind while visiting Hawai'i (or any other natural area), from past experience these were just the 3 most important to introduce to the kids before hand.

Hassling wildlife is actually a core ethic for Leave No Trace. In Hawai'i, not only are many animals protected and illegal to hassle, it's also just rude. I saw a boy once think he could "hitch a ride" on a sea turtle-I will admit when it bit him on the hand I smiled a little inside.

Feeding the fish is one of my biggest peeves. It's a huge no-no! Just like you don't want to feed the bears, don't feed any wildlife. They get habituated; this causes them to rely on humans for food-often things that make them sick and they stop fending for themselves and using their own instincts. Sure, animals are adorable and that chipmunk was asking for it, but never, ever feed wildlife for the animals-and your own- safety.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen people standing on coral, walking on it, or kicking it while flailing around (snorkeling, I think they call it?). Coral is a very delicate creature-the slightest footprint on it can kill it forever. Coral has too much to worry about from humans as it is, we should all do our part to help it out. It's a good rule of thumb to not stand or let your feet touch anything once you are in the water snorkeling. You have fins, use them! It's a good practice to try snorkeling before your trip so you learn how to tread water while fixing your mask or talking with someone. Try it in a pool or at a lake before your trip so you don't have to endanger the coral-or yourself when you step on something that may hurt you.

What other actions do you see people doing that make you cringe? Another one I would mention is the mind set of "Someone else will do it", for instance, it's okay to litter because there's already litter, and someone will "come and clean it up anyways, that's their job!" or that it's okay to litter in town or in a parking lot because it's not the same. Where do you think the wind blows or the water carries that trash? Into our oceans, onto our beaches, into our woods, into our birds bellies. There's no excuse for being lazy!

Old 04-20-2013, 06:59 AM

749 posts, read 853,802 times
OMG that stacking rocks thing is so annoying for sure but I must say the absolute most annoying thing to me is watching divers Stomp the coral in Ahihi cove. Divers, the folks who so love the sea, etc, etc just Tromp out into the cove---I find myself yelling "Urchins out there, hey if you don't scrape your ankles up against coral the urchins might get you, lay flat, go out swimming flat out there....."

Uggh. Then there is the cane burn, paradise?? More like poorly managed resourses, a bit shocking/sad in the USA in 2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii