Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 02:05 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,655 times

Advertisements

Still here, since 1975, might stay, hard to tell. Another story, not too kahiko, as in old, but a good indication of what I think Maui, and Hawaii, are all about. My company was doing a big project out in Kaanapali a few years back. Every other week or so, I'ld buy beer, all kinds of meat and sausage, for a Friday BBQ, kind of a mini luau. It got to be a bit pricey with around 25 employees. Anyways, all the guys decide that the next BBQ would be paid for by them, and everyone would bring something, the BBQ to be held at Thousand Peaks, popular surf spot just Lahaina side of the tunnel. Well, EVERYBODY, did bring something, ribs, sausage, salads, opihi, hambuger, lomi salmon, poke, tri-tip steaks, I mean a hell of a lot of food. So, we get the BBQ's going, its obvious that there's enough food for a small army, the guys start going up and down the beach, inviting tourists, locals, anybody, to come and join the party. Must have had well over 70 people there at one point, some of them I think were homeless, camping on the beach, all enjoying a great meal. The guys could have just taken the leftovers home, and not invited anyone, but they didn't. Still a special memory about Hawaii, and, most importantly.........

Aloha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 12:50 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Pau hana garans get choke grinds! Feed everybody and still take plates home! Did anyone bring a pig?

Have you ever noticed the farmers move their cows into pastures far away from the road right before graduation time?

Old 09-09-2008, 05:29 AM

This is another Kahiko Ka'ao, old story, from the back in the day on Maui. My best friend, Kahale, lines up a boat trip out to Kahoolawe, around Christmas 1976, the mission, PICK OPIHI!!!! Don't know how many of you are familiar with opihi, kind of like abalone, but a lot smaller, at least the ones I was used to seeing on Maui at the time. You put a little garlic on em, some chili pepper water, throw em on the BBQ for a minute or so, and they are ono grinds, as in great pupu. Around Christmas with all the families having luaus and plenty of guests, opihi was an absolute must on the table, and also went for about 125 bucks a gallon container at the time,,,,,,,so, off we go........ Get ashore at Obaki Bay, south side of the Island, very rocky, vertical cliffs, and Kahale starts prying these BIG opihi off the rocks. About the size of a small abalone. We get plenty, swim back to the boat with an innertube, netting inside, loaded with these monster opihi. Now, you have to keep in mind, that, #1, Kahoolawe had been used for target practice by the military for years, and, #2, it was completely against the law to be on the Island, hence the abundance of opihi, folks just didn't venture out there. We motor over to Smugglers Cove, other side of the Island, swim back in, with the innertube and a 22 rifle, Kahale shoots a couple of goats, we gather them up, put them into the innertube, guys on the boat throw us a line, and they pull the innertube, with the bleeding, but very much make, as in dead, goats, back out to the boat. They then yell at us to swim out. NO WAYS!!!! Murky water, blood in it already, instant shark bait!!! We hike up to the next bay, then swim out. Boat makes it's way back to Charlie Youngs boat launch, we get the opihi and goats into my thoroughly rusted out Plymouth Valiant, have to stop at the gas station for some gas. I'm pulling out, the goats were still bleeding a bit, look in the mirror, can make out a little pool of blood, and the gas station attendant is looking at the blood, and scratching his head......Ahhh, the good old days..........

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 09-09-2008, 05:12 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
You didn't bleed them out directly after shooting them? Soon as you down 'em, hang 'em if you can, cut the jugular as well as a vein up in the back leg so they drain well. Much better luau. Field dressing them wouldn't have hurt, either, but I guess you were crunched for time?

Other than mano, I always worry about puhi. He comes and eats my fish when I catch them onshore if I leave them on a string in the water. Better the fish than my toes, I guess.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:32 PM

Catz,
Crunched for time isn't quite the right phrase, it was 1976, Kahoolawe was STILL being used for target practice, so hanging the goat, and hanging around, wsan't really an option. We butchered em back on Maui, and teriyaki'd the kukae out of em, course we had to cut the teriyaki sauce with a generous dose of bourbon,,,,,well,,,,,some of it went into the sauce. Kahoolawe goat isn't exactly filet mignon, but, with enough marinating, it was pretty good. Funny thing about that day, there were two other boats, southwest side of the Island, with nobody on them. Pretty obvious we weren't the only ones goat hunting.
Aloha and okolemaluna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii