Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 02:21 AM

7 posts, read 7,790 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm new to the forum. I currently live in Alabama and am hoping to move soon (not to Hawaii, yet) I'm looking to get my bachelors in communication/journalism with a minor in photography and or creative writing, and work as a journalist.

Which is where my question comes in it. It is my dream to live in Hawaii one day. Yes, I'm aware of how very original that makes me But ya gotta have goals, right?

So anyways, if I can keep from getting sidetracked, I'm wondering if someone could direct me to major newspapers in Hawaii. Most preferably in Kauai, anywhere on the island, but I'm also interested in Oahu (around Honolulu, but not necessarily in it). I would prefer newspapers that I could subscribe to online from the mainland, so I'll hopefully be better able to get a job writing or taking pictures there later. And the more you can list, the better!!

I'm sorry if my question is too vague! But all help is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 02:24 AM

12,120 posts, read 18,005,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaSafire View Post
I'm wondering if someone could direct me to major newspapers in Hawaii.
Let's try good ole Google - that should work! Aloha!

Top 10 Hawaii Newspapers and Complete List of Newspapers from Hawaii

Old 06-01-2013, 09:10 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,154,187 times
If you have an ipad you can read the Hilo paper everyday for free. I am not sure whether you have to be on the mainland to get it for free or not. Hawaii Tribune Herald

Old 06-07-2013, 02:36 AM

58 posts, read 134,343 times
As I know so far, the newspaper industry of Hawaii has been monopolized. All heads are under one company. So it's very easy for you to make your choice because there's no other choices.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:07 PM

32,741 posts, read 48,386,146 times
Yeah. Newspaper jobs. Dying industry. Hope it works for you and you will be qualified for something more than flipping burgers.

Not much income for photographers in Hawaii, too much competition, but it is a super place to be taking photos. You'll enjoy it.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:03 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,529,414 times
In a world where everyone has a camera in their cell phone, everyone is a photographer/videographer and professional photography is completely devalued. As a long time professional photographer and writer myself, I have many friends in the field of professional photography, and nearly all are bailing out, retraining, and finding alternative careers.

The Chicago Sun-Times just fired their entire photographic staff. Every single one, including a Pulitzer Prize winner. That's the wave of the future.

The only reason most newspapers still publish physical newspapers is to be able to deliver the weekend advertising inserts. If anyone figures out an efficient way to deliver the grocery sales flyers online it's all over for print.

Journalism in the internet age is mostly an unpaid sport.

Sorry, but what you have outlined is... in my opinion... a completely dead end career. I suggest you rethink this and choose a career path which actually has a future.

Good luck!

Old 06-07-2013, 02:10 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,005,554 times
This makes for perfect timing.

The Honolulu Weekly is shutting down after 24 years after this weeks issue.

Honolulu Weekly will close permanently after this week?s issue, publisher says - Pacific Business News

"Carlson said she was closing the paper down because advertising revenue over the past several years was uneven, making it difficult to operate the business. She said she thought it would be better to close down while she was still able to pay the paper’s vendors."

Old 06-08-2013, 11:34 AM

32,741 posts, read 48,386,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

The Honolulu Weekly is shutting down after 24 years after this weeks issue.
"

That's a shame. I hate to see newspapers shutting down. Not that I've bought a newspaper for at least 15 years, so none of my business has gone towards keeping them open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: