Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 02:52 PM

4 posts, read 5,301 times

Advertisements

Hello all, pretty new to this forum!

I been doing some research on my own. Reading a lot of differences and opinions about RELOCATING to Hawaii. So I kinda had enough of that!

I know what I have to do and getting it done by when the time comes.
I was not going to put myself out there and list my reasons why I want to move.

But let's just say, it's what my heart, my passion is pulling to do. Don't Laugh lol..

I have no kids, I'm young, (dumb) << lol...had to throw that in, something my dad always did to me when I gave him a speech beginning with "I'm young"

Any who, so what I was saying.

I'm in my mid 20's, have a stable job as of now,
(which will terminate by the end of this year) due to it closing down.

I have no major bills except for one c.c & a car payment that I been paying for 5 years now. Yes almost done with that. Went thru some b's with it, had it stolen. Got it back, rebuild it on my own. Still paying for it and running in great condition. Beautiful car! Takes me to my job everyday! (sorry just showing some appreciation to my baby, Acura RSX)

I never been married, have no kids, have low bills, great paying job & currently building my hobby into a career (photography).

Here is where it gets tricky:
In the pass year I purchased a house with my girlfriend of 10+ years being together. (High school sweethearts)
Now I(we) have (A Mortgage to take care of +light, water, internet,)
So I know a little bit about putting in work SON! SMACK, Dad always gets me

Okay so here it is....
I had a "Epiphany" you can say.

I mean something really triggered me!

So, I spoke of this to my girl. At first she was excited about it & supported my idea of trying Hawaii out.
Even told me to give it a try and move/visit first for a week/month & see how I get my plan(s) situated.
For her, finding a Job would be easy. Let's just say she got it like that..For me, you can say the same!

So even if I can't find what I'm looking for at first I can always find a good stable Job. (If God wants)

But now, she's been thinking of it I guess. And it's a no go for her! She can't leave her family.

That's her reason!

Which is reasonable and I could understand.

I have like a million cousins!
I have a big family, my mom has about 8 sisters and like 9 brothers.

And we all live in Miami, FL.

Yup! Well, most of us!

Okay not to make this any longer then it already is...

My vision is clear for me, for many reasons. Mainly because I (want) to follow my Heart and do this.
Do this for my passion!
For life, for the experience...
But for mostly it's something I have to do.

It's my calling!

All I'm trying to figure out is, do I sound like this person from this thread?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawaii/1878535-leave-your-wife-kids-new-start.html

I hope I don't.

My scenario is completely different, yes I know.
And my reasons are different.

I have a plan, & my plan is simple.

Give this a shot for a month. By myself or with a guy friend since my girl will not be coming with.
This could break us or make us stronger. The house will still be paid for (ofcourse) I'm not abandoning her!

After the Month I will decide my decision in staying.
What I'm afraid of is that I will love it and will want to make it my home.

I have nothing wrong to say about my girlfriend, we all have our little problems here and there but we always work things out. But this time, like I said this could break us or make us.

You only live once right!

I'm not doing this for the fun, but it's something I feel strong about, it's my Life calling.

Some people do nothing about, & some people make it happen!

I am willing to leave my family behind and live a different life. Yes I know I will miss all my cousins, everyone!

Trust me, I know a little something about being alone.
I'm a only child.

Had to coop with myself when my mother worked long nights at a bar for many years. Through out middle school and high school I made the commitment to waking up on time every morning and got my self to school. Not that, that makes me cool and all..But I'm just saying...hehe!

I'm not trying to convince anyone of my story/calling. I know in my heart what I have to do.
Like I said, I hope I do not sound like that guy from the thread (link) I provided above.

Thank you for taking the time in reading my long azz memo.

Feel free and message me if you want to know more!
Or just want to leave some Positive vibes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 03:47 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,100,473 times
You bought a house within the last year and now you want to move? Did something change?

Here's the advice I would give you:
Write down why you want to move (paper or electronic). Write down the pros and cons. Talk it through with our girlfriend. And then...the hard part. File ALL of it away for 6 months. When I say file it away, I mean don't focus on it, don't talk about it more than you have to until that time comes. In the mean time, focus on your current life there and truly live it. Don't focus on wanting to move, just tell yourself that in 6 months you will revisit the notion and "file" it away COMPLETELY until then.

Then when the 6 month time arrives, revisit the idea and your desire to move.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
You bought a house within the last year and now you want to move? Did something change?

Here's the advice I would give you:
Write down why you want to move (paper or electronic). Write down the pros and cons. Talk it through with our girlfriend. And then...the hard part. File ALL of it away for 6 months. When I say file it away, I mean don't focus on it, don't talk about it more than you have to until that time comes. In the mean time, focus on your current life there and truly live it. Don't focus on wanting to move, just tell yourself that in 6 months you will revisit the notion and "file" it away COMPLETELY until then.

Then when the 6 month time arrives, revisit the idea and your desire to move.

I appreciate you taking the time to write.
Trust me I've heard it already from the Wifey.

(Just shut up about it, and when the day comes that you did your thang for it,
do what you PEEP* PEEP* GOTTA DO) PERIOD! Haha..Thats how she roles!

I understand where you coming from,
I live each day gracefully as a gift from up above.
Will do, focus on my days here.

Thank you!

Old 06-11-2013, 05:13 PM

246 posts, read 650,400 times
If you understand that if you make the move your relationship with "wifey" is over, leaving negotiations as to how to extract your portion of the money on purchasing the house will be a drama filled mess, and you're willing to go thru that, then I say go ahead.

The difference between you and "that guy" is that "that guy" waited until he painted himself into the proverbial corner with wife, house, and kids before midlife crisis got him thinking about wanting to do what he desired 20 years ago. If you made up your mind, better to do it now than regret it forever. Only none of this b.s. of try it out for a month. Dude either go all in or no go, you can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't leave and if it doesn't work out then you get back to "wifey" and its all good happily ever after.

If you're serious you would research the cost it would take to last to secure a job, housing, and transportation, then make sure you can secure a job and break down your finances to verify you could actually sustain yourself.

If you think I don't have to worry "i'll get a job as a waiter or bartender" when I get there, think again, thousands of people are thinking the same thing, and then move here resulting in standing in line competing against each other just for the part-time dishwasher position. Know that the cost of living in FL is NOT even remotely close to that of HI.

Its not hard to figure out, just takes research and execution. If you feel like "ah its too much brain effort I'm just gunna go spontaneously," then you just sound like a 16 year old girl with sunflower hopes and fuzzy dreams..........

Old 06-11-2013, 05:19 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,812,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_traveler1 View Post
If you feel like "ah its too much brain effort I'm just gunna go spontaneously," then you just sound like a 16 year old girl with sunflower hopes and fuzzy dreams..........
Hey don't pick on 16 year old girls like that .. fuzzy dreams hit men in their 20s also!

Old 06-11-2013, 08:58 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,220,487 times
Not much different about you and that guy because it's the same person...again. sigh.
What husband talks like this, wifey
wants to leave Miami for Hawaii
has a ton of cousins but grew up alone
non specific jobs for both

Old 06-12-2013, 08:05 AM

Ouch, haha! Thanks for the negative vibes..Haters!

Hold up Hold up, where my Shades at

(not the same guy)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii