Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 04:18 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
It seems to me, and I am not currently (although was in the past, and will be in in the future) a resident of the state), that pretty-much the only viable reason to want to move to Hawaii, is because you WANT to be in HAWAII and live the lifestyle that is unique to Hawaii.
Yeah, I remember a guy last year who had this weird "mainlander" idea to dig a basement for a house on the Big Island, and he couldn't understand why so many people criticized him for it. They were saying things like "That's not how we do it here," and "Hawaiian homes don't have basements," and he got really upset and defensive. But you know, what he was talking about really was well outside the norms for the Homakua Coast lifestyle. He was trying to superimpose thoughts and values from a somewhere-else-lifestyle on his plans for Hawai'i, rather than to embrace the lifestyle that is already here, and he got roundly thumped for it. Remember?

Growing your own taro, pounding your own poi, getting tribal tattoos, worshiping Pele and the other gods and goddesses, hunting wild pigs with dogs and a knife, then cooking it in a luau pit, and feasting on it in a big gathering of ohana, subsistance farming and fishing... if any single thing qualifies as a Hawaiian lifestyle, I guess that would be it. Taking your statements literally, this would be the only valid reason to move to Hawai'i, in order to live like this. How close is it to your dream?

But in fact there are many different lifestyles in Hawai'i, some more traditional than others.

How about the Japanese-Hawaiian culture? They are the largest ethnic group on the Big Island, and have been an integral part of the island culture since the 1800s. There are Buddhist temples all over the island. The Old Japanese Schoolhouse that still stands in Volcano dates back to about 1900. And it's now owned by a man who was born in Japan, and who came here and built a successful business and became an American citizen, because he was attracted to the lifestyle here.

What we might call an "Alternative" lifestyle... living off the grid, using solar energy, growing organic food, living sustainably. etc... got established in Hawai'i in the 1960s and 70s, and has flourished ever since. And today it is even its own tourist draw, bringing like-minded individuals from all over the world who wish to taste this particular Hawaiian lifestyle. There are several yoga retreats and permaculture farms on the island which are world famous within this cultural milieu. I met a guy in lower Puna who is the leading supplier of organic ginger to health-food stores throughout the US, including all the Whole Foods stores. And he has a friend who is also successful, growing Noni fruit for bottling. You might call them hippies, but I'd call them successful businessmen, who have employees and pay taxes.

Hawai'i has the most ethnically and culturally diverse population of any US state, so there is a very wide range to what might be called Hawaiian lifestyles. Some choose a condo and an urban lifestyle in Honolulu, while others choose a contemplative life in the rainforest. It's all good. It's all Hawai'i.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 04:56 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Yeah, I remember a guy last year who had this weird "mainlander" idea to dig a basement for a house on the Big Island, and he couldn't understand why so many people criticized him for it. They were saying things like "That's not how we do it here," and "Hawaiian homes don't have basements," and he got really upset and defensive. But you know, what he was talking about really was well outside the norms for the Homakua Coast lifestyle. He was trying to superimpose thoughts and values from a somewhere-else-lifestyle on his plans for Hawai'i, rather than to embrace the lifestyle that is already here, and he got roundly thumped for it. Remember?

Growing your own taro, pounding your own poi, getting tribal tattoos, worshiping Pele and the other gods and goddesses, hunting wild pigs with dogs and a knife, then cooking it in a luau pit, and feasting on it in a big gathering of ohana, subsistance farming and fishing... if any single thing qualifies as a Hawaiian lifestyle, I guess that would be it. Taking your statements literally, this would be the only valid reason to move to Hawai'i, in order to live like this. How close is it to your dream?

But in fact there are many different lifestyles in Hawai'i, some more traditional than others.

How about the Japanese-Hawaiian culture? They are the largest ethnic group on the Big Island, and have been an integral part of the island culture since the 1800s. There are Buddhist temples all over the island. The Old Japanese Schoolhouse that still stands in Volcano dates back to about 1900. And it's now owned by a man who was born in Japan, and who came here and built a successful business and became an American citizen, because he was attracted to the lifestyle here.

What we might call an "Alternative" lifestyle... living off the grid, using solar energy, growing organic food, living sustainably. etc... got established in Hawai'i in the 1960s and 70s, and has flourished ever since. And today it is even its own tourist draw, bringing like-minded individuals from all over the world who wish to taste this particular Hawaiian lifestyle. There are several yoga retreats and permaculture farms on the island which are world famous within this cultural milieu. I met a guy in lower Puna who is the leading supplier of organic ginger to health-food stores throughout the US, including all the Whole Foods stores. And he has a friend who is also successful, growing Noni fruit for bottling. You might call them hippies, but I'd call them successful businessmen, who have employees and pay taxes.

Hawai'i has the most ethnically and culturally diverse population of any US state, so there is a very wide range to what might be called Hawaiian lifestyles. Some choose a condo and an urban lifestyle in Honolulu, while others choose a contemplative life in the rainforest. It's all good. It's all Hawai'i.
Actually, as I recall, those who said it couldn't be done were looking at it at their perspective of being on the south end, while the poster was referring to area to the north, like Kamuela. As I recall, an engineer posted that in that area it was perfectly doable. Not really different than a pool.

Also, as I recall he was mocked because the neigbors would "talk story" if he had one.

So what really happened was an honest, open, legimate, sincere question was turned into an arrogant roast-fest by a bunch of azzholes like, perhaps, well YOU know who, don't you?

Let me put this so even one who always looks away from, rather than towards, the thrust of a post, can understand it.

Move to Hawaii, Because you WANT to be in Hawaii, NOT because you DON"T WANT to be elsewhere.

If you move to Hawaii soley or principally because you want to "live off the grid", you are the cosumate fool's fool. Go to Quartzite for that.

If you can't get that, well, too bad.

Last edited by Robin Rossi; 06-20-2013 at 06:10 PM..

Old 06-20-2013, 06:20 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
Quote:
Actually, as I recall, those who said it couldn't be done were looking at it at their perspective of being on the south end, while the poster was referring to area to the north, like Kamuela. As I recall, an engineer posted that in that area it was perfectly doable.
Who is this engineer that you are referring to?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/big-i...ements-bi.html

Quote:
So what really happened was an honest, open, legimate, sincere question was turned into an arrogant roast-fest by a bunch of azzholes like, perhaps, well YOU know who, don't you?
Some people never change, even if the name they are using does.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:01 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
thanks for that link, McFrosty.

I told "Jeffington": Jeffington, maybe you should talk to the "experts" who know about the preculuarities of building on the Big Island. "Most folks" probably do things the way they do here for a reason.

I doubt that you will have any shifting or settling issues that are experienced on the mainland due to the type of rock that is here. However, I suggest contacting an engineering firm on the island with experience in construction projects. Also, maybe one of the building inspectors in the county building department would have experiential knowledge.

To which he/she responded: Yes, in due time. Was hopeing, perhaps, that somebody here had some experience with such a prospect. As I said earlier, funding is not particularly an issue.

That was the only time in 40 posts that the word "engineer" was used.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:07 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times
@Open D

What is with u brah? what i was saying was basicly respect the aina and the culture, you can do that without living in the bush, hunting boar etc. Just like you can be a native american and live the red road(native american spirituality) without living in a hogan.

Further what im talking about is the differences between Hawaii and the mainland. Culture Kanaka Maoli and Local is different from anything on mainland. Of course i also meant embracing the culture mix that is local. Chinese, japanese, filipino, etc etc, this is what makes up the local culture. Things that are different is the obon festival is celebrated, chinese new year is huge. Obake stories are also a mix of all the local cultures. Further, customs are different, expectations are different, for example most ppl don't know that its impolite to not take your shoes off when entering a home(japanise) or that Hawai'i has 3 offical languages. I can go on and on about culture, lifestyles, celebrations etc etc. I love both local and kanaka cul

Old 06-20-2013, 10:32 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times
Unless i misunderstood your post Open D?

Old 06-20-2013, 11:13 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
The tourist industry in Hawaii really pushes the tropical paradise dream, and it is a luscious dream indeed. That's not a criticism of the tourist industry. Tourists are important to the Hawaiian economy and they should be encouraged to come visit.

The problem is that some people believe advertising too readily. They think that the tropical dream is 100% of what Hawaii is all about.

Or, they spend a week in Hawaii by the pool, with the gorgeous landscaping and the fruity drinks, and they think that is what you get in Hawaii. They don't stop to think that their tropical dream week has cost them 5 times as much as they can realistically budget to live and there is no way to keep up that level of spending.

So, I suspect that we get a lot of people who sincerely believe that they can move to Hawaii and live by the pool, with orchids growing in the trees around them, and a pool boy to deliver a mai tai with a little paper umbrella in it. That they can spend all their time at a white sand beach and gorgeous young hula girls will dance around them.

Reality just doesn't have anything to do with it, unless they really do move to Hawaii and discover that the advertisers are no longer designing their dream for them.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Actually, as I recall, those who said it couldn't be done were looking at it at their perspective of being on the south end, while the poster was referring to area to the north, like Kamuela. As I recall, an engineer posted that in that area it was perfectly doable. Not really different than a pool. Also, as I recall he was mocked because the neigbors would "talk story" if he had one.
So what really happened was an honest, open, legimate, sincere question was turned into an arrogant roast-fest by a bunch of *******s like, perhaps, well YOU know who, don't you?
Not sure who you mean, because I wasn't part of that discussion at all. But unfortunately, yes, I've seen that kind of pack attack happen here too often, like what happened to Trixie4. OMG, were those the same bullies that went after you? I mean... errr... Jeffington?

Quote:
Move to Hawaii, Because you WANT to be in Hawaii, NOT because you DON"T WANT to be elsewhere.
Well why didn't you just say so in the first place and save all the pilikia?

So, is it really OK with you after all if vegans move here? I mean, you know Steve Jobs was a vegan, right? And in my opinion he seemed like an OK kind of guy to let in.

Last edited by OpenD; 06-21-2013 at 03:41 AM..

Old 06-21-2013, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
@Open D

What is with u brah? what i was saying was basicly respect the aina and the culture...
So was I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Unless i misunderstood your post Open D?
You did. No worries.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:16 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Here is a good book I came across recently - interesting theories on why people do irrational things:

Sway: The Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behavior | Psych Central

Bolding from the article, not me:

We often overreact to potential losses, focused more on the short-term consequences rather than the longer-term effects.

We hold on to the pervasive pull of commitment. When we are committed to a relationship, decision, or position in our lives, it can be very difficult for us to see the better, healthier alternatives available.

Humans have a tendency to imbue someone or something with certain qualities based on its perceived value rather than objective data. This is called value attribution.

Humans have a propensity to label people, ideas or things based on our initial opinions of them. The authors term this the “diagnosis bias,” and it includes our inability to reconsider those initial value judgments once we’ve made them.

People want and expect fairness in all of their dealings with other people, companies and organizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii