Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 12:03 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,384,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
You know your from Hawai"i and living on the mainland when this happens. (credit goes to open D for turning me onto this)

Hawaiian Pidgin English | Siri vs Hawaiian Pidgin - YouTube
Quote:
Since we are on a dumb questions ppl ask about Hawai'i. How about a laugh?

Hawai'i Stereotypes - YouTube
LOL - thanks for the laughs.

I was so lost when I moved to Phoenix from Hawaii. I lived Big Island and Oahu 30 years.
So I'll add some funny and some "Heh?" ones to da list

• You know you from Hawaii when you walk into a store and ask "You folks take da Discovah cahd?" And the girl behind the counter comes to attention and says, "Eh, which island you from?" Cuz she's from Hawaii, too!

• You know you from Hawaii when you hug everybody and some of them misunderstand and want to follow you home!!

• You know you from Hawaii when you say "Pau" and people think you are imitating the ninja turtles or a cartoon character - "POW!"

• You know you from Hawaii when you see da Honu on da back of a car or some sign dat da driver is from Hawaii and you speed to catch up so you can give dem da shaka sign!

• You know you from Hawaii when you go to some stupid party they called a "Luau" and they are serving regular food with a pineapple on top and think it's "Hawaiian" (and you feel compelled to explain to them that it's NOT!)

• You know you from Hawaii when you refer to people by their ancestry -- which is totally accepted in Hawaii -- and get lectured for being politically incorrect. My response is -- "Oh. I'm sorry. in MY CULTURE (since we are talking here about multicultural acceptance) we STILL GET TO BE PROUD OF OUR ANCESTRY! And besides, I'm talkin' about my KIDS!" Someone in Portland actually informed me that my husband of 15 years was NOT Japanese -- he was Asian-American. I told her after all those years he had never mentioned that!! (Sigh... Ok ok ok. Nevah like get us into DAT mess. But still. It's a real problem on da Biggest Island...)

• You know you from Hawaii when your other Hawaiian friends in Phoenix excitedly call you to announce "they get fresh fish and poi at Aloha Kitchen today and you like go?"

• You know you from Hawaii when you know the exact location of Aloha Kitchen, Lee Lee Market, Aloha Grill, L&L Drive Inn, and all the other Hawaiian food places in Phoenix.

• You know you from Hawaii when you know that every year the AZ Aloha Festival is held on the same weekend as St. Paddy's day in Phoenix.

• You know you from Hawaii when you refuse to eat at any of the sushi bars in Arizona because you don't trust sushi or sashimi in the desert even though you know Hawaiian Air flies it in fresh every day.

• Finally - You know you from Hawaii when you know the exact schedules of all the Hawaiian Air flights to get home; and most of the flight attendants know you by sight and let you bring all kinds omiyage on the plane home because they understand. (And das why you fly Hawaiian and not da uddah guys)

• Oh -- and you know you from Hawaii when you still refer going to Hawaii as "going Home" no matter how long you have been away. (And I just got all teary-eyed writing that.... Hawaii is the home of my heart no matter where I live in the world.... Keep it special guys... If you don't get out of there very often, you really don't know how unique, amazing and special the islands are...)
RC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 01:08 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,789 times
I was flying back from da madland a while back, saw one of the local flight attendants who was my neighbor in Nuuanu for quite a while, we get to talking story, (a'ole olelo hauna, only good kine, well, sort of), and she asks, 'Eh, you like sit up front? Get plenny extra' I'm all, 'Shootz, we go", and up to first class I went. She said it was a 'discriminatory upgrade' . Gotta love Hawaiian Airlines!!!

except for those 2000 shares I had back in 90s...................

Old 08-02-2013, 01:27 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,751,618 times
Mahalo nui loa guys.

I Miss You, My Hawaii - YouTube

Old 08-03-2013, 01:48 AM

You know your from Hawai'i living on the mainland when you miss this.

The most amazing rainbow in Hawaii - YouTube

Old 08-07-2013, 04:46 PM

You know your from Hawai'i living on the mainland when this happens.

Now whats important isnt the scrap itself but how its handled. I remember moving to the mainland and getting into scraps, but instead of one on one in Hawai'i when u have beef and win or lose that it. Here in the mainland u got to scrap the one person then scrap there friends or watch out for pot shots like u see here.

Whole different world.

Hawaiian faces down 10 drunks in Podunk, Oregon. (THE WHOLE VIDEO UNEDITED!) - YouTube

Old 08-07-2013, 06:32 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,737 times
What a bunch of idiots. Poor representatives of Oregon and Hawaii.

I think it is the times. Growing up in Oregon my dad like to move around a lot. I grew fast at a young age and was almost always the biggest kid in class until high school. Whenever I would come into a new school, like clockwork the previous biggest kid would choose to pick a fight with me. After the fight, he would then want to be my friend. Bottom line, guys are stupid. However, while growing up fights were always one on one or at least a fair fight. Now, not so much. Sadly, this happens in Hawaii just as much as anywhere else. I have seen it.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:40 PM

@Mcfrosty What i saw was a haole kid trying to avoid a fight. If u notice he kept saying he didn't want to fight and he was trying to find out what the beef was about, it wasn't till the fat kid lunged at him did he fight back in defense. Further, he could of attacked the guy#2 and the kid who tried to blind side him. After he said he didn't want to fight, i think he handled himself good intel more insults happened.

There are jerks everywhere frosty but for the most part if i remember correct that most real locals stick to the old way of doing things.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:00 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
I was flying back from da madland a while back, saw one of the local flight attendants who was my neighbor in Nuuanu for quite a while, we get to talking story, (a'ole olelo hauna, only good kine, well, sort of), and she asks, 'Eh, you like sit up front? Get plenny extra' I'm all, 'Shootz, we go", and up to first class I went. She said it was a 'discriminatory upgrade' . Gotta love Hawaiian Airlines!!!

except for those 2000 shares I had back in 90s...................

Shoots. I didn't get first class, but friend who was a flight attendant left a bottle of champagne while I was sleeping. /lol
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-07-2013, 10:57 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Shoots. I didn't get first class, but friend who was a flight attendant left a bottle of champagne while I was sleeping. /lol
I was a bartender here on Maui when I first arrived, with no intent of staying, back in 1975.. At that time, there were only five, count em,,, ekahi, elua, ekolu,,,, (try wait).............FIVE, bars on the entire south end of Maui. Hard to imagine these days. Right next door to the Outrigger, where I worked, was/is still, the Mana Kai, a semi-condo/resort, that was owned by a consortium of United Airlines pilots. Anyways, stewardess's, (it's alright to call them that, this is 1975 we're talking about) would often opt to layover on Maui for a day or so, when given the chance. I got to know quite a few of them, rather well, and on one United flight back to the madland for Christmas, a couple of them that I knew, rather well, were working the flight, and would give me a mini Johnny Walker every time mine they passed by. Well, it's a five or so hour flight, there were two of them, they passed by A LOT, and I think I was a little late arriving at my parents house for Christmas. Did manage to make New Years Eve though. Those were some fun times. It's difficult, at least I find it difficult, to relate to newcomers exactly what it is that they have missed out on. Funny thing, being here all these years, still don't know if I'll stay..Guess it all depends on where my ashes end up.. Oh well..

No can help

Old 08-07-2013, 11:10 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,737 times
Quote:
There are jerks everywhere frosty but for the most part if i remember correct that most real locals stick to the old way of doing things.
For the most part yes, same as here. However, times have changed and the younger folks don't always do things the way we used to.

December 2010 I was in Waikiki. A kid in his early twenties who was probably high on something, was beating up an electrical box (at least I think that is what it was) on the corner of Kalakaua and Kaiulani. As we walked by my brother-in-law told the kid to calm down and relax. (Not smart, he shouldn't have said anything and just called the police.) The kid came over and started pushing my brother-in-law. Then within seconds 4 of his friends jumped in! My brother-in-law was being knocked around like a pin ball. I told my wife to take my sister and my niece into a nearby ABC store to be safe, I stepped in and was able to eventually calm everyone down. Luckily no one was seriously injured, just a few cuts and bruises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii