Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 11:29 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,751,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
For the most part yes, same as here. However, times have changed and the younger folks don't always do things the way we used to.

December 2010 I was in Waikiki. A kid in his early twenties who was probably high on something, was beating up an electrical box (at least I think that is what it was) on the corner of Kalakaua and Kaiulani. As we walked by my brother-in-law told the kid to calm down and relax. (Not smart, he shouldn't have said anything and just called the police.) The kid came over and started pushing my brother-in-law. Then within seconds 4 of his friends jumped in! My brother-in-law was being knocked around like a pin ball. I told my wife to take my sister and my niece into a nearby ABC store to be safe, I stepped in and was able to eventually calm everyone down. Luckily no one was seriously injured, just a few cuts and bruises.
Ya its the I.C.E frosty its killing the ppl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
I was flying back from da madland a while back, saw one of the local flight attendants who was my neighbor in Nuuanu for quite a while, we get to talking story, (a'ole olelo hauna, only good kine, well, sort of), and she asks, 'Eh, you like sit up front? Get plenny extra' I'm all, 'Shootz, we go", and up to first class I went. She said it was a 'discriminatory upgrade' . Gotta love Hawaiian Airlines!!!

except for those 2000 shares I had back in 90s...................
Lol, We all know u got the upgrade because your a Pupule Kupuna Kamaaina aka'aka. E'Aloha nui loa kaikua'ana.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:54 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Lol, We all know u got the upgrade because your a Pupule Kupuna Kamaaina aka'aka. E'Aloha nui loa kaikua'ana.
A hea pupule? A'ole keia kane kahiko ha'ole

Old 08-09-2013, 09:31 PM

You know your from Hawai'i living on the mainland when(this is my experience) Ppl take the laid back, Hawai'i time attitude as being dumb and u being a person with no ambition(not true)

Anyone have this problem?

Old 08-10-2013, 10:11 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
You know your from Hawai'i living on the mainland when you ask your online friend to give you a good Poke recipe so you can make some for friends who have never tasted Poke...

Ahi Poke - simple version, no hard ingredients... enough for 2 - 4 servings

1 pound raw tuna, cut into 1/2" cubes

1/2 cup shoyu (soy sauce)

1/4 cup chopped green onions

1 tablespoon sesame oil

1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

1 small white onion, sliced in thin shards

1/2 teaspoon Sririhacha pepper sauce or 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

1/2 teaspoon Hawaiian salt or coarse salt

Mix everything together in a glass bowl, let marinate 2 hours in refrigerator

Old 08-11-2013, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
You know your from Hawai'i living on the mainland when you ask your online friend to give you a good Poke recipe so you can make some for friends who have never tasted Poke...

1 tablespoon sesame oil

Mahalo Open, ya they don't even sell it here, even if i as if they can order they say no, so i have to make. Mahalo again.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Mahalo Open, ya they don't even sell it here, even if i as if they can order they say no, so i have to make. Mahalo again.
You are welcome. Glad I could help.

If you are having people over for poke, maybe you should make some spam musubi to go with it. Nothing more Hawaiian than that! Ingredients should be easy to find in Portland... Spam, sushi rice, teryaki sauce, nori.

And while you're at it, put out some crack seed... you can buy it online, you know...

Crack Seed Center

Crack Seed, Li Hing Mui & Dried Fruit

Ohana Crack Seed

Old 08-11-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
You are welcome. Glad I could help.

If you are having people over for poke, maybe you should make some spam musubi to go with it. Nothing more Hawaiian than that! Ingredients should be easy to find in Portland... Spam, sushi rice, teryaki sauce, nori.

And while you're at it, put out some crack seed... you can buy it online, you know...

Crack Seed Center

Crack Seed, Li Hing Mui & Dried Fruit

Ohana Crack Seed
Oh yah im going to be ordering some rock salt plum, li hing mango, lemon peel and cuddle fish. lol. Mahalo for the info. lol after im done they are going to have to start a new 12 step program. Are u a crack seed person Open?

Old 08-11-2013, 09:30 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,514,080 times
Quote:

1 tablespoon sesame oil

I think that's way too much sesame oil for 1lb. of ahi. Sesame oil is strong stuff! I also think a 1/2 cup of shoyu is too much for 1lb. of ahi.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
I think that's way too much sesame oil for 1lb. of ahi. Sesame oil is strong stuff! I also think a 1/2 cup of shoyu is too much for 1lb. of ahi.
So, make it with less! Like the little Poke shop near the Hilo airport says, To Your Taste!

There are a million ways to make poke, and it's very flexible, very versatile. I just wanted to give a simple recipe that could easily be put together on the mainland. Notice there's no 'inamona and no limu in this recipe, because he'll never find them in Portland. Also note that the sesame oil used is the regular light cooking oil, not the dark and flavorful toasted sesame oil used as a condiment in Chinese cooking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii